Chapter Eleven: New Year's Eve Part Two

[HIATUS] UnBreakable

Once Jungmi was out the door, she finally relaxed. She felt tense sitting next to Daehyun at the table. Why was that? She couldn't figure it out herself. To soothe her anxieties, she held her bare hands out to feel the light breeze. Thankfully, it wasn't very cold, since it was already mid-morning. Fresh snow padded each step she took as she made her way towards the bus stop.

Her objective for leaving the house was not only to keep her distance from the growing attraction between her and Daehyun, but also to go find a job. She didn't want Yongguk to spend his hard-earned money on her and her sister. Not to mention, she felt useless without a job. She needed to do something instead of stay at the house for the rest of the 90 days.

Humming softly, Jungmi waited for the bus alone. Her thoughts wandered back to Christmas Day, the day before she and Youngmi died, which was literally, six days ago. Everything seemed perfectly fine then. Jungmi and Youngmi's parents were home for Christmas Day and bought them matching parkas and earmuffs.

That was the first time she felt thankful towards her parents. For including her in their thoughts for once. Her mother was all smiles, even complimenting on Jungmi's kimchi jjigae and house decorations. Her father was still cold and unfeeling, but he smiled at Youngmi whenever she spoke to him. For once, her doubt lifted and she felt that living as a family wouldn't be that horrible.

However, the next day, the day of their deaths, their parents had a dinner to attend. A post-Christmas dinner at a colleague's house. How convenient was it for them to leave for a dinner and several hours later, lose their daughters to a housefire? Before her parents left, their mother was shining with happiness, while their father returned to his mask of indifference.

Jungmi was startled back to reality by a tap on her shoulder. She turned around to find Youngjae standing beside her with a wide smile.

"Where are you going, Jungmi? Don't you know that pretty girls like you shouldn't be out and about on their own?" Youngjae smirked. Before she could respond, the red bus to the market pulled up. She stood up to board the bus, only to be stopped by Youngjae, who held her by the wrist. "You didn't answer my question. So that means I will be sticking to your side like glue today until my question is answered." He swiped his T-Money card (*a form of payment for buses and trains in Korea) and waited for Jungmi to pay for herself.

As expected, the bus was crowded, which meant that Jungmi and Youngjae had to hold on to the same strap to keep from falling. It also meant that they had to be chest-to-chest for the entire fifteen-minute ride. Youngjae was secretly elated at this. Jungmi, on the other hand, thought that it was just plain uncomfortable. About five minutes in, Youngjae tried asking again, "So, where are you going, Jungmi?"

"Go home, Youngjae. I don't need you here."

"Did you really have to leave in the middle of breakfast? What is so important that you can't finish breakfast with us?"

"What about you?" Jungmi shot back. "Why did YOU leave in the middle of breakfast, when you clearly didn't need to?"

"Oh, don't turn the tables on me, Jungmi. I'm just doing my job as a friend, looking out for your safety," Youngjae retorted defensively. "There's no need to be secretive about everything. We're living under the same roof, for goodness sakes!"

"Please stop asking, Youngjae. This has nothing to do with you. I also have my own life to take care of, you know. So, just go home!"

"Keep it down, you two!" barked the bus driver. She looked into the rearview mirror and gave them a scowl.

"Choesonghaeyo (*I'm sorry)! We'll be careful!" Jungmi called out. She poked Youngjae in the chest. "This is all your fault, Yoo Youngjae. If you had just listened to me--"

"MY fault? Since when was this MY fault? You didn't have to leave home in the first place. What's wrong with you? Why can't you just answer my questions?" Youngjae pressed on.

"Just stop it, alright?" Jungmi quickly pressed the stop button and made her way towards the exit. Someone grasped her arm. She looked back and saw Youngjae smirking.

"Uh-uh. You aren't getting rid of me that easily."

The bus let them off at the marketplace stop and they stood next to each other in the white snow. Jungmi scowled. I guess that I have no choice, but to let him know what I'm doing today.

~:~:~:~:~

Meanwhile, back at B.A.P.'s home, everyone else had already finished their breakfast. Dishes littered the sink, the kitchen was left unkempt, and the dinner table was a wreck. No one bothered to clean things up. They were all too worried about Jungmi's safety to care. They all migrated to the living room and Yongguk the TV for everyone to watch. Jongup helped Youngmi sink into the living room sofa and propped her injured ankled up on the coffee table. Yongguk had a stone cold face as he sat next to her. Himchan paced around the room, inventing various scenarios in his head concerning Jungmi and lustful men on the street. After arranging Youngmi comfortably on the sofa, Jongup and Zelo plopped down on their bean bags and stared at the TV with empty eyes. Daehyun and Youngjae were nowhere to be seen.

Youngmi could feel the tension in the room rise with every minute. She looked around and saw how stiff the boys were. She couldn't understand. Are they like this because of Eonni? Ugh, Eonni, why did you have to leave like that? Now, that boys are worried sick about you...

"Are you guys worried about Eonni? There's really no need to. She can take care of herself..."

"It's not that, Youngmi. This neighborhood isn't the friendliest, you know. And Jungmi isn't exactly ugly. She could attract the wrong type of people and end up in a ditch somewhere," scowled Yongguk.

"Oppa, she knows Taekwondo, Yudo (*Judo), and Gumdo (*Kendo). I think she can handle herself," defended Youngmi.

"You don't understand, Youngmi," murmured Jongup. "There are gangs in this area."

Youngmi paled. "W-What?"

Zelo added, "And they always travel in packs..."

"In p-packs???"

"Yup... So, you can see why we're a little concerned."

Himchan sighed. He wanted desperately to know where Jungmi disappeared to. What the maknaes were saying didn't help his worries one bit. "This is ridiculous. Gukkie, we should be looking for Jungmi. For all we know, she could have gotten abducted!"

"Shut up, Himchan. She didn't get abducted," growled the elder.  

"And how do you know that?" Himchan shot back.

"Because I sent Youngjae to be with her!" Yongguk shouted.

Daehyun, who was descending the stairs at that point, froze at Yongguk's outburst. He furrowed his eyebrows. Youngjae is with her?

"And what are we supposed to do, huh? Wait for them to come back in pieces???" Himchan cried hysterically.

"No! Stop imagining things and watch the TV."

"I can't just stand around and wait for Youngjae to bring Jungmi back! What kind of oppa would I be if I just--"

"Argh, be quiet, Himchan. You're giving me a headache."

Daehyun rolled his eyes at his hyungs' stupid argument and went to table to bring the remaining plates to the sink. He proceeded to washing the dishes and wiping the table clean. He smiled in contentment at his accomplishment and went up the stairs, all without attracting the attention of the others in the house.

"You know what? We should do something so that she can come home to a clean house. She doesn't have to do everything." Himchan suggested. But, when he turned to the kitchen, he noticed that it was already spic and span. His mouth dropped. "What the hell--! How did this place get so clean?"

The other boys looked back and widened their eyes. "Is Jungmi-noona home?" Zelo questioned.

"No. I didn't hear the front door open..." murmured Yongguk. Just then, Yongguk's phone chimed, signaling that he received a text message. He fumbled for his phone and checked it with eager eyes.

Hyung... Jungmi left this morning to find a job. Don't ask her about it when we get home. She might get defensive on this topic. We'll be home soon. -Youngjae

"Youngmi, can you tell us a little more about you and Jungmi?" Yongguk asked, as if nothing happened. Himchan eyed him suspiciously.

"Me and Eonni?"

"Yeah, like... I don't know. Why are you guys so religious?"

She gave Yongguk a look. "I thought you didn't like talking about religion."

"That doesn't matter. I just want to know why you girls believe in a God, if there is one."

"Well, when you're living a life without parents, God is basically the only one you can depend on, to have faith in. So far, he has given us everything that we need. He provided a shelter over our heads, gave us food to eat, and blessed me with the most humble and loving sister anyone could ever ask for. I couldn't ask for a better life." Youngmi said with a smile.

Yongguk was silent for a moment. He never thought about God that way. Could such a being exist? A being that the two sisters could be so thankful for, that they would depend on him for everything? "That... makes sense. What about your parents? What were they like?"

"Well, you already know that they weren't very kind to Jungmi. But, they treated me with a lot of care, so I can't complain. Um... Eonni has a really awkward relationship with Dad. She says that she hates his guts. She especially hates it when family friends point out how much she looks like Dad."

Confusion passed over Yongguk's face. "She has an awkward relationship with her Dad?" That's interesting... So do I.

"I don't know what happened between them, but something tells me that her need to do something for the two of us stems from whatever happened between them. She always needs to find a job, to do something, something to get her mind off of our parents... I feel sorry for her. She doesn't have to overwork herself, but she always tends to do so."

~:~:~:~:~

"So, what are we doing here?" Youngjae inquired.

Jungmi ignored Youngjae and made her way to the first stand, which sold childrens' winter wear. A kindly woman in her sixties smiled sweetly at her from behind the stand. "Hello, sweetheart. How may I help you?"

"Hello, Imo. I would like to see if I can apply for a job here, in the marketplace. Full-Time is preferable. Are you hiring at the moment?" Jungmi replied. Youngjae stared at her. Wait, she's here to get a job? I should let Yongguk-hyung know. He pulled out his phone and sent Yongguk a text.

The ahjumma gave Jungmi a sad smile. "I'm sorry, I only accept applications. I'm not hiring right now."

Jungmi returned her smile with a bow. "It's no problem, Imo. May I still have an application?"

"Sure." She handed her a paper application. "I'm sorry. I would love to hire you, but I'm full-staffed for the winter."

"Thank you very much."

Jungmi moved on to the next store. Youngjae followed her with a small frown on his face. "Jungmi, why are you here looking for a job?"

"I can't rely on Yongguk-oppa's kindness for our entire stay here. I don't even know how long my sister and I will stay-- Hello, sir. Do you have any positions available right now?" Jungmi asked a young man in his twenties in front of a small rundown record store. The man grinned greasily at the pretty girl in front of him. He looked her up and down hungrily, something that Jungmi missed because she had her attention set on the items in the store. Youngjae, however, saw this and scowled deeply.

"Sure thing, young lady. Wow, you're really pretty. Do you mind showing me a few of your talents? Perhaps--?" Before he could finish, Youngjae pulled Jungmi away. Once they were a good ten feet away, Jungmi jerked her wrist out of Youngjae's grip.

"Just what do you think you're doing, Yoo Youngjae?"

"This is why I can't let you go anywhere alone." Youngjae growled at her. "Did you see the way that guy was looking at you?"

"No."

"Well, he looked at you like you were something to eat. We aren't going back there again." Youngjae stuffed his hands into his pockets and turned away from her.

"Whatever. That's not stopping me from looking for a job. And plus, I've had worse bosses before," Jungmi said flatly with a wave of her hand. She glided past him and said, "Thank you for worrying about me, but I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself."

She kept walking in the wide marketplace, observing the lively surroundings. Several small children ran past her, laughing loudly and happily. Something about their laughter shot a pang of nostalgia into her chest. She realized that she, too, missed those days of fun and laughter. She froze and watched the laughing children circle around her and Youngjae, that is, until the two were chest-to-chest once more.

Youngjae's heart thumped loudly in his chest. This immediately reminded him of their first meeting, when Youngjae caught Jungmi from falling. And when they fell to the floor. And when she stood up with her hair all over the place, looking like Medusa.

Because of that memory, Youngjae bursted out in laughter. Jungmi, who was stuck in the same reminiscing moment, frowned and pushed him away. Leave it to you to ruin the moment, Youngjae.

With a huff, she moved on to the last store in the marketplace, leaving Youngjae alone to laugh himself away. The store was a quaint, used-books cafe. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and baked blueberry scones enveloped her as she walked in. It was familiar, comfortable; it was home. She closed her eyes and inhaled the delectable scents of bread and old books.

"Hello, welcome to Bookworm Cafe!" enthused a female from behind the counter. Jungmi popped open her eyes to see a skinny girl with braided pigtails and wire-rimmed glasses. The girl widened her eyes in recognition. "Wait, I know you! You're a regular customer!"

"Hi, are you folks hiring at the moment?" Jungmi smiled sheepishly. "I'm looking for a long-term job and I really love coming to this place."

"You know what? Our manager is in right now. I'm sure that he'll recognize you. You've been a faithful customer to us ever since we open three years ago." She disappeared into the manager's office.

At this time, Youngjae also entered the stored with an awed expression plastered on his face. "Woah, what is this place?"

Jungmi whirled around to face him. "It's none of your business. Just go outside and wait for me." She pushed him out the door and shut it in his face.

Youngjae pouted. Wow, how rude.

"Here she is! The Wednesday Girl!" boomed the joyful voice of Song Joongki, the youthful Bookworm Cafe manager. He gave Jungmi a one-armed hug. "I haven't seen you for months! How are you doing, Wednesday Girl?"

Well, I died the day after Christmas, became a guardian angel, received my first assignment from God, and returned by to earth the morning following my death. And now, I'm here, looking for a job to support me and my sister again. So, to answer your question, quite spiffy. "I'm doing okay. Joongki-ssi--"

"Uh-uh. I thought we agreed that you would call me, 'Oppa.'" Joongki wagged his finger. Jungmi sighed. I'm trying to stay away from that word, but the boys in my life (afterlife?) insist that I call them that...

"Joongki... oppa. I would like to apply for a job here."

"Psh, there's no need to apply! I'll just give it to you! When are you available?"

Jungmi beamed. "Really??? Oh, Joongki-ssi-- oppa! You are the best!" Jungmi threw her arms around him in elation. "I'm available every day! Just give me a call. Here's my number." She gave him her number.

"Oh? You have a new phone?"

"Ne. I look forward to working here!" She lifted her hands to wave goodbye, but as she did so, Joongki caught her and squeezed it lightly. For some odd reason, her heart was touched by this simple gesture.

"I'm glad that you've come back, Wednesday Girl. You don't know how much I missed seeing your face every Wednesday. I should have your schedule by tomorrow. See you then?" Joongki winked. He looked out the door and saw Youngjae pacing outside. Joongki chuckled. "Is that your boyfriend out there?"

Jungmi looked outside and blushed when she and Youngjae locked eyes. "No, he's not my boyfriend, Oppa."

"Then, why does he look like a worried boyfriend? Am I that good-looking?" Joongki grinned mischievously.

"N-No! It's not that! I-- I will see you tomorrow, Oppa!" She waved goodbye to the girl with the glasses and left the cafe feeling light and content. Little did she know, Youngjae was waiting for her outside, looking as pissed as ever. He whirled his anger on her when she reached him.

"Yah, imma (*brat/dude)! Why did you push me outside? How rude! Were you concerned about me getting a cold? And who was that guy in there? Why was he holding your hand???" Youngjae snarled angrily. Jungmi almost laughed, but kept a straight face. "Tell me, Jungmi, have you been seeing him behind our backs?"

"No, silly, I came here looking for a job. And I got one!" Jungmi beamed radiantly. This broke Youngjae's defenses. He immediately smiled back, despite suspicious feelings about the other boy.

"Really? For what position?"

"That, I'm not sure, yet. But, I know that I'll be working at a solid workplace that will never take me for granted." Jungmi sighed and let the stress and tension she had felt since morning melt away from her mind. "Youngjae... You have no idea how happy I am at the moment."

Youngjae softened as she closed her eyes and breathed in deeply. Well, whatever makes you happy, makes me happy, too.

Jungmi popped open her eyes. Wait, did Youngjae just say that? Or did he THINK that?

"What?" Youngjae asked. Jungmi's eyes rounded when she heard his voice again. Why is she looking at me like she's seen a ghost? Did I do something wrong???

"N-Nothing... Let's just go home."

 

*****Hey, all! Wow, this was a super long update... But, I hope you all like this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it! What do you think will happen next? Please comment and subscribe! Constructive criticism is also welcome. I truly appreciate it! :)*****