Chapter Ten: New Year's Eve Part One

[HIATUS] UnBreakable

That evening, while the boys were getting ready for bed, Jungmi and Youngmi gathered on the bottom bunk to do what girls did best: talk story with each other. While braiding Youngmi's long, silky hair, Jungmi asked her about her day.

"How was your day, Youngmi?"

"It was so fun! I'm so glad that I got to play in the snow with the boys! I think I'm going to enjoy living here... They treat us with a lot of care."

"I agree." Jungmi smiled softly, then remembered something. "Did you happen to hear something weird when you were outside? Like... voices, perhaps?"

"No, that's creepy, why?"

"Not creepy voices, but the boys' voices. Like, reading their minds or something."

Youngmi gave her sister a bewildered look. "What? You read their minds???"

"Shh! Be quiet! But, yes and no. So far, I've read only Daehyun's mind. That's it."

Youngmi smirked. "Could it be because you like him that you can only hear HIS thoughts?"

Jungmi flushed pink at her sister's accusation. "Stop being silly, Youngmi. When did I ever say that I liked him? Look, I'm sure that our new powers are beginning to form. Watch out for it. I think Telekinesis might be next. Whatever you do, don't try them out in front of the boys."

"Duh. I'm smarter than that, Eonni. What do you take me for?" Jungmi couldn't help, but smile at this. She ruffled Youngmi's hair.  

"Youngmi, you have such pretty hair. I'm jealous. I wish I had it..."

Youngmi rolled her eyes. "Don't be silly, Eonni. We're sisters, we have the same type of hair."

"Yeah, but your hair is prettier. My baby sister is all grown up now, but she's still so incredibly clumsy that she twisted her ankle while playing in the snow today." Jungmi said seriously, trying to keep her poker face on. However, Youngmi saw through that facade and giggled. She poked her sister in the gut, which immediately escalated into a tickling fight. Shrieks of laughter bounced off the walls, making every male in the house smile in contentment. Girls...

After what seemed like hours of laughing, Youngmi sat up and gave her sister a bear hug. Jungmi was surprised at this, but proceeded to Youngmi's hair. Youngmi mumbled against her chest, "I miss days like these. Days when we could be free and laugh. And play around. What happened to them?"

Jungmi stiffened. She hadn't expected that question to come up.

To put it simply, those days stopped when Jungmi entered high school. It was from that point on that their parents no longer paid attention to Jungmi, but rather, focused on Youngmi. Youngmi was the pretty one, the one that deserved all the money and gifts a parent could buy. There was nothing wrong with that. Jungmi loved her sister, but resented her parents for neglecting her. It was understandable because both of their parents worked in the airline business; their mother was a flight attendant and their father was a pilot. Unfortunately, this meant that their parents were hardly home.

Although their mother was very kind to her children, she wasn't around because of her job. Jungmi felt that her mother trusted her too much, believing that she could take care of her little sister and herself even at 14-years-old. Jungmi brought herself to believe that their mother's trust was just as bad as abandonment. Actual abandonment was what their father did. There wasn't doubt that Jungmi hated him. He was cold and unfeeling. He didn't care much about his children and whenever he gave small allowances from his massive fortune, it was never for the two sisters to share, but all for Youngmi.

As a result of this neglection, Jungmi had to learn how to cook, clean, and get around the city all on her own. Not to mention, she had to find a job for herself so that she could pay for her own and her sister's school tuition. Not one of her friends at school knew about her predicament. She felt that no one would be able to help her. What could 12-year-old Youngmi do for Jungmi? Nothing. And Jungmi didn't want her to do anything except go to school, then attend college. If Jungmi wasn't going to be successful, then Youngmi was. Jungmi made it her goal to take good care of her sister.   

If that wasn't enough, Youngmi still didn't know that their father had an affair right after he and their mother arrived from the United States of America several months ago (*See Chapter Two). Jungmi caught him in the act one night when she came home from school to cook dinner. It wasn't a pretty sight. Her father begged her to keep quiet. For some reason, she kept quiet because after all, he was her dad. And he promised to never do that again, a promise that was broken over and over again.

Jungmi had many reasons for ending those days of fun and laughter. The only thing in common with all those reasons was that it stemmed from one source: her father. She gazed at her lovely sister and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry those days had to end. I didn't mean for that to happen."

"Is it because of dad?" Youngmi muttered quietly. Jungmi nodded. "What did he do that was so wrong? Why do you hate him so much?"

"Youngmi, there is a reason for everything. And there are millions of reasons why I hate our father. Just don't ask me about it. I might just explode trying to explain everything." With that, their conversation ended.

Youngmi stared quizzically up at her sister as she climbed onto the top bunk. "Eonni--"

"It's time to sleep, Youngmi. Good night."

Youngmi sighed. "Good night."

~:~:~:~:~

The next morning was New Year's Eve. The year 2013 was especially special, not only because of all the hype in 2012 about the world ending, but because the boys had guests over. And they were GIRLS.

Youngjae woke up early that morning, snuck past Daehyun (who was deep in slumber) and washed up. After checking his reflection in the bathroom mirror for the umpteenth time, he  smiled blissfully at the girls' closed door when he walked past it. He stopped at the top of the staircase and turned back in contemplation. What should I do? Should I wake them up nicely? Or act like a little kid and jump on their beds? The latter seems like the better option...

"Yoo Youngjae!" Himchan popped his head out of his room and beckoned Youngjae with a flick of his wrist. Youngjae groaned. Why me?

"What the heck do you want, Hyung?"

"Gukkie wants to speak to you!"

"Stop calling me that, Kim Himchan!" came Yongguk's low growl from inside. With a sigh, Youngjae entered the Hyungs' room. Himchan slammed the door shut and leaned against it with his arms folded.

"Yes, Hyung?" Youngjae snapped.

Yongguk gave Youngjae a look. "Youngjae, don't you dare get fresh with me. I can tolerate Himchan doing that, but not you, got it?"

"Yes, Hyung..."

"Okay... I need to ask you something."

"What is it?"

"Are you comfortable around the girls?" Yongguk asked, keeping his eyes on Youngjae. Youngjae was silent for a moment, then laughed out loud.

"Yes, I am, why? What's the purpose of asking that silly question? This is Yoo Youngjae you are talking too, Hyung! When has something ever been too hard for me?"

"Humility is a great virtue to have, you know." Yongguk muttered. " Anyway, here's what I need you to do. Because you are the most comfortable around the girls--" Himchan interrupted him with a scoff.

"Oh, really? I beg to differ. I'M the most comfortable around the girls--"

"But, they aren't comfortable around you, you byuntae (*ert) so quit it," Yongguk countered, pinching the bridge of his nose. To Youngjae, "Can you wake them up? We're going to clean the house for New Year's Eve."

"Wait, what? You're asking me to wake them up just so they can clean the house for us? Isn't that a little too much, Hyung? Was all that mushy stuff yesterday and Jungmi calling you 'Oppa' just for show?"

"No, it wasn't--" Before Yongguk could say anything else, his phone buzzed in his pocket. He looked at it and smiled softly.

Oppa, this is Youngmi! Happy New Year's Eve! I love seeing your smile in the morning, so come downstairs quickly!

Before he could put it back in his pocket, it buzzed again.

Happy New Year's Eve, Oppa. By the way, I cleaned the house already. We should do something fun today. -Jungmi

"What does it say?" Himchan asked Yongguk, while peering over his shoulder. Yongguk tried his best to hide Jungmi's message on his phone, but Himchan managed to snatch it away. "'Happy New Year's Eve, Oppa. By the way, I cleaned the house already'? Wow, it's as though Jungmi read your thoughts, Gukkie. 'We should do something fun today. -Jungmi.' Wow, she has a wonderful gift of making things short and to-the-point."

"It looks like I don't have to wake them up anymore, right?" Youngjae smirked. Yongguk just grumbled in response. "Awesome. I'm gonna go downstairs and see if Jungmi made anything for breakfast. Knowing her, she probably did." He exited the room with a wide grin stretched across his face. Or maybe, I'll just go to see her again for the sake of it.

"Aish, how does Jungmi wake up earlier than we do when we wake up early? What is she, superhuman?" Yongguk mumbled. Himchan nudged him.

"Why? Isn't dilligence in a woman attractive? And she has morals, lots of them. I thought you liked women with morals." Himchan wiggled his eyebrows. Yongguk raise his fist to hit him, but Himchan ducked out of the way and ran out laughing his head off. Yongguk shook his head with a smile.

"Stupid idiot..."

~:~:~:~:~

Daehyun opened his eyes to a brightly lit room, but strangely, there was no snoring Youngjae. He furrowed his eyebrows. Where the heck did he go? Is no one in the house at all? Just as he was about to get out of bed, the bedroom door flung open and he caught a glimpse of long, dark hair.

"Daehyun--!" Jungmi stopped and stared wide-eyed at the bare-chested Daehyun. Although he wasn't as muscular as Himchan or Jongup, he was still fairly toned. He had an athletic body, perfect for those who are in martial arts or who play tennis. Looking at Himchan made her embarassed, but with Daehyun, it was different. She felt like it was a sin to look at him. Lord, help me! What is this attraction to Daehyun??? Divert my attention from him!

Daehyun tried to cover himself up, but ended up falling out of bed instead. As he fell, Jungmi heard his voice cry out in embarrassment. Oh, ! Why did she have to come in at this time? I'm not fully dressed! This is so embarrassing!

Under a different circumstance, she would've found his comment hilarious. However, she was just as flustered as he was and turned around to hide her red face. She cleared . "D-Daehyun-ssi, I-I just came up to tell you that breakfast is ready. Yongguk-oppa said that we'll be doing something fun today for New Year's Eve. I'll see you downstairs..." With that, she left the room.

Damn it, Jung Daehyun! Say something to her when she's around! Don't just sit there! Daehyun ruffled his hair in frustration, then rushed about to get himself ready for the day's outing. He traipsed downstairs in his usual black and white attire, and he secured the black mask across the lower half of his face. To his dismay, the first person he locked eyes with when he came into the kitchen was Jungmi. They both turned away and blushed at the same time.

Youngmi noticed this and smiled inwardly. Hm, something is up between them...

Daehyun sat in the only vacant seat available, which conveniently placed in between Jungmi and Youngjae. Everyone else had already begun eating and were having lively conversations. Himchan and Youngjae bickered about the previous New Year's Eves. Youngmi laughed at Zelo's awkward jokes and countered with some of her own. Yongguk and Jongup conversed about the upcoming school year. Only Jungmi and Daehyun sat in an awkward silence; Daehyun picked at his food and Jungmi shoveled hers into .

Daehyun winced when some drops of orange juice splattered on his arm. It seemed as though Jungmi was in a hurry to escape from everyone. To escape from him. It was only then that the others took notice of the speed of her food intake.

"Eonni, are you alright?" Youngmi asked her. Jungmi nodded, her cheeks full with eggs, rice, and sausage.

"Really? Because you seem to be eating your food like you've been starving for years. And you look like a chipmunk," Himchan mused. A cute chipmunk. "Do you have to be somewhere?" He raised an eyebrow when she nodded again. "Or is it a hot date?"

At that moment, not only did Jungmi choke, but so did everyone else. They stared at Jungmi, then responded all at once.

"W-What? Is that true? You have a hot d-date?" Youngjae sputtered.

"Congratulations, Noona! When did you have the time to get a date?" Zelo asked.

"Wow, Noona. That's... how did you do that?" inquired Jongup.

"Finally! I knew you could do it!" celebrated Youngmi.

"Well... congratulations," Yongguk said with a faltering smile.

What in the world--? How could she have gotten a date that quickly? When did she have the time to even meet this date? Daehyun questioned non-verbally.

Jungmi heard Daehyun's questions loud and clear. She gulped down her food and held out her hands in denial. "N-No! I don't have a hot date! I-I'm just hungry, that's all. And plus, I have to go to the market and get some food. We're already running low..."

Himchan eyed her suspiciously. "Are you sure?"

Jungmi nodded vigorously. "So, uh, don't mind me, Oppa. I just have some errands to do." She got up and threw her plate in the sink. "I'll be back by noon. Leave your dishes in the sink, I'll wash them when I come home."

With that, she wrapped her scarf around her neck, picked up her purse, and left. The boys stared after her, completely shocked that she left like that. Daehyun stared dejectedly at his food. She must really hate me now.

"Daehyun, do you have any idea about Jungmi's strange behavior?" Youngjae whispered to him. Daehyun just sighed and left the table. "What the heck--? What's wrong with you two?"

"Is there something wrong with Jungmi?" Yongguk asked Youngmi. She shrugged her shoulders.

"I have no idea. If she's in a hurry like that, either something happened this morning, or she might have wanted to take a walk, or she could actually have errands to run. I don't understand her sometimes."

"What should we do without Jungmi? I mean, we can always accompany her to finish her errands," suggested Himchan. Yongguk rolled his eyes.

"You are so dumb, man. Just because she said that she needs to do errands, do you really believe that she's doing errands?"

Himchan shrugged his shoulders. "Who knows? She might be."

"Ugh, this is why I can't rely on you when it comes to brains and thinking. Youngjae!" Yongguk called out. Youngjae looked up from the sink. He beckoned the younger and he instantly obeyed. "I want you to follow Jungmi and report to me via text on what she's doing. You met her first, right? That means that she's probably the most comfortable around you."

"I guess..." Youngjae said with a sheepish grin. He rubbed the back of his neck. "She's still uncomfortable with me. But, she does talk to me the most. So, yeah, I'll do that."

"Don't let her out of your sight! You do, and you're dead meat, understand?"

"Yeah, yeah. I got it." He slipped on his puffy winter jacket (*same as the others', except with a yellow hood) and saluted Yongguk. "Be right back."

 

*****Hey, all! I'm sorry for this late update, but I hope you all like it! Why do you think Jungmi left the house like that? Was it because of Daehyun? Or something other than that? Anyway, please comment and subscribe! Constructive criticism is also welcome. I appreciate it! :)*****