Chapter Seven: B.A.P.'s Home

[HIATUS] UnBreakable

For two hours, Jungmi, Himchan, Daehyun, and Youngjae waited impatiently for the others at the convenience store. There was a stiff awkwardness between her and the boys, save for Himchan, whose personality was to speak to whoever listened to him. Youngjae tried to make conversation with Jungmi, but eventually, their voices would trail away and they would resume staring at the ground. Daehyun just refused to say a word at all.

It wasn't that Jungmi was the anti-social type. She just preferred to not talk. And, for the record, she was not the smoothest in front of boys. That was Youngmi's specialty.

An hour before Youngmi and the other boys' arrival, Himchan and Youngjae decided to go to the park and play in the snow, leaving Jungmi alone with Daehyun. Jungmi bit her bottom lip. Great. They leave me with the handsome, mysterious, mask-covered guy. Relax, Jungmi. It's not like you're on a date. Just try striking up a conversation with him.

As soon as Youngjae and Himchan left, Daehyun shifted his eyes toward Jungmi and smiled softly. Jungmi was still trying avoid his gaze. He got off of his perch on the fence surrounding the convenience store and sat next to her on the bench she had shared with Youngjae and Himchan. She quickly glanced up at him in surprise, then averted her gaze.

A gust of wind swelled up around the pair, causing Jungmi to shiver involuntarily. Even though she was a Guardian Angel, she could still suffer through human ailments, such as colds and fevers. She pulled her puffy blue winter jacket more tightly around her and blew warm air into her cupped hands. She stopped when a pair of warm hands wrapped around hers.

Daehyun stared intently at their joined hands, her soft ones in his. He rubbed them together gently, hoping the friction would make hers warmer, then pulled her closer so that he could put them in his left pocket. After doing this, he resumed watching Youngjae and Himchan play in the snow.
Jungmi's cheeks flushed pink at this action. She didn't know why, but it warmed her heart. Sure, no one had ever done this for her before, but it was a simple gesture. And it reminded her that Daehyun was indeed human.

"Thank you," she murmured. Daehyun acknowledged her thanks by nodding his head.

Fifteen minutes before meeting up with the others, Youngjae and Himchan returned to Jungmi and Daehyun. Jungmi quickly pulled her hands out of his pocket and immediately regretted it. The cold air seemed to abuse her hands, battering them relentlessly with snow and bitter winds. She stuffed them into her jacket pockets and let out a shivering exhale.

"Gee, what's taking them so long? I'm sure that Youngjae and I played for more than two hours!" Himchan joked while flinging an arm around Youngjae. The latter noticed that Jungmi was watching with amused eyes and shrugged his hyung's arm off his shoulders. He flashed a nervous smile at Jungmi and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Maybe the bus is running late, Hyung. Don't get too worried," Youngjae replied smartly.

At exactly 12:30, half an hour past the proposed time to meet, a red bus pulled up in front of the convenience store and a fair amount of people got off. Four semi-recognizable figures were the last to get off, for they held many bags of groceries. Youngjae and Daehyun immediately reached out towards a blond male, who Jungmi assumed was Yongguk, and took the load off of his hands.

"Unnie!" A joyful cry cried out from behind two large paper bags. Jungmi leaped forward and took the burden off of her little sister's hands. Youngmi smiled at her and hugged her tightly, despite the obvious wall of grocery bags between them.

"Watch out, Youngmi! You are going to smash the bread!" warned a familiar-looking boy with a black fur-lined jacket with a green hoodie.

Jungmi did a double take. It was none other than Jongup, the boy Youngmi had a crush on since freshman year in high school. Jungmi instantly felt guilt creep into her heart. She was sure that Youngmi was shocked to see him for the first time since dying. The only upside to the situation was that Jongup never met Youngmi while she was alive.

"Before we formally introduce ourselves, let's go to our home. It's freezing!" reasoned Yongguk. As the eight of them began walking towards B.A.P.'s home, Jungmi and Youngmi fell behind and whispered amongst each other.

"What was your story, Eonni?" Youngmi whispered.

"That we just arrived a few hours ago from the States. We lost all of our luggage and ways of communication coming here from the airport. With the little money we have, we were hoping to find an affordable place to stay for the night."

"Oh, good. My story was the same. Who did you find first?"

"I bumped into Youngjae first, then met Daehyun-ssi and Himchan-ssi at the convenience store. How about you?"

"I sat near Yongguk-oppa on the bus and Jongup and Zelo-ah were waiting for him at the bus stop..." Youngmi paused, recalling seeing him for the first time since her death. Speaking to him for the first time ever.

Jungmi sensed Youngmi's hesitation and she knew who she was thinking of. Guilt continued to poke at her until she finally said something. "I'm sorry, Younggie. I didn't mean for all of this to happen..."

"No, I'm fine with it now. Being angry with God won't get me anywhere... And of course, if I get Jongup into Heaven, I'll be able to see him--"

"Here we are!" Yongguk exclaimed proudly.

It had taken them about five minutes to walk past several houses to a familiar house. The house was freshly-painted white, with a red-shingled roof. Bushes surrounding the house were neatly trimmed and a white gate stood in front of them, in between two bushes. Yongguk took out a keychain that had about 20 keys on it and began putting each one into the lock on the gate. By the looks of it, Jungmi and Youngmi were sure that it was going to take more than ten minutes to open it. They just continued to observe the outward appearance of the familiar house.

For some odd reason, the outward appearance wasn't what made it familiar. It was the way it was so uniquely positioned so that it blocked the sun perfectly. And they all stood at the spot where Youngmi stood often to stare dreamily up at the 2nd floor window that faced the park. The owner of that 2nd floor window was Jongup.

The sisters' jaws dropped. They glanced to the right of B.A.P.'s home and a horrid sight met their eyes. Their house was charred and heat radiated from it, since they just died a day ago. The reality of their deaths walloped them in full force, provoking tears to slip down their cheeks.

"That house was enflamed last night. I think two girls, sisters, died in that fire. I called the firefighters, but they came too late to save those girls..." murmured Jongup from behind Youngmi. She flinched at his voice. It was full of sorrow, of regret. "I should have jumped in... But, I was too much of a coward. And I kept thinking, 'I'm alone in this house. Who's going to save me if I risk my life to save them?'"

Youngmi bit back accusing questions as she turned to look at her crush of three years. He gazed back at her, tears in his eyes. It was evident that he regretted not being able to save them from dying. Instead, she asked, "Did you know them personally?"

"No... I didn't. Even though I've lived next to them for all of my life, I haven't seen any of them for more than a second. I think I was in the same grade with one of them, but she wasn't in any of my classes." He ruffled his hair and shot Youngmi a nervous smile. "But, I'm sure that they were sweet sisters. My mother was friends with their mother and she'd always push me to meet the younger sister, saying that she was very pretty and definitely girlfriend material. I refused only because I'm awkward around girls."

"Got it!" Yongguk yelled gleefully. Everyone followed him through the gate and into the house. Jongup brought up the rear, closing both the gate and the front door.

Once inside, they set down the groceries and the two maknaes put them away. Himchan directed Jungmi and Youngmi to the sofa to sit, while the boys tidied up the semi-messy living room.

~:~:~:~:~

About 15 minutes later, the boys finished their chores and settled in comfortable bean bags in front of the sisters. Yongguk leaned forward and flashed them a gummy smile. They smiled back nervously.

"So, welcome, Youngmi and...?" He gestured toward Jungmi.

"Oh, I'm Jungmi."

"Youngmi and Jungmi, nice to meet you. I'm Yongguk. This is--"

"I'm Himchan."

"Daehyun..."

"Youngjae, here."

"I'm Jongup."

"And my name is Junhong, but you can call me Zelo."

"And what exactly are your reasons for being here?" Yongguk asked. Jungmi and Youngmi looked at each other.

"Well, as I told Youngjae, Daehyun-ssi, and Himchan-ssi, we just came from the States. Our luggage and ways of communication were lost on the way here, so we split up to look for a place to stay," Jungmi explained easily.

"What about your parents? Don't you two have parents?" Himchan inquired with concern written all over his face.

"We don't. They died in a car crash right before we flew here. In fact, that's the reason WHY we came here..." Youngmi fibbed while flashing a look at Jungmi. Jungmi mentally facepalmed herself. She knew that Youngmi would attempt to make their situation more dramatic than it truly was at some point in the journey.

"Oh, man..." Youngjae whispered with a pained expression. He stared at Jungmi, obviously feeling sorry about her position.

"Look, it's fine. We'll just be here for a night, then we'll be on our way," Jungmi announced. She didn't want B.A.P. to pity the two of them. She was sure that one night was enough.

"Now, hold up, Jungmi. I know I said one night, but your current situation isn't the greatest," Yongguk began. "I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night, thinking that there are two girls alone on the streets. My mother didn't raise me to allow that sort of thing to happen."

"But, Hyung, we can't just let them stay in a house full of guys... We'll be inconveniencing them," Youngjae reasoned.

"What do you expect me to do, Youngjae? Leave them on the streets after they stay for one night? Not a chance! We have an extra room they can use, you know."

Yongguk and Youngjae continued to bicker for a good five minutes. That is, until Jongup said something.

"Hey, can I suggest something?" He asked while raising his hand.

"What?" Yongguk and Youngjae snapped at the same time.

"How about they cook and clean for us? You know, as a trade-off for staying here? We're all pretty busy, so we hardly cook for ourselves, anyway. And plus, when do we ever clean up after ourselves?"

"Are you sure that you won't take advantage of the fact that we are girls?" Jungmi asked.

"It's not that. He was merely just suggesting that as a trade-off for allowing you to stay here without rent. We're not saying that you two should be maids..." Himchan explained.

"No, I get it. I just wanted to make sure that his reason was NOT because we are girls. In this case, I'll agree. We have nowhere to stay..."

Youngmi stared at everyone involved in the conversation. Mostly at Jongup. Although she wanted to stay with B.A.P., she couldn't picture herself cleaning up after someone. That was Jungmi's job and she was good at it. She wore a slight frown for the rest of the conversation.

"Make GIRLS clean up OUR crap, Jongup? Are you SERIOUS?" Youngjae argued. He looked at Yongguk. "Hyung, you can't POSSIBLY--"

"It's a good idea, Youngjae. Nothing in life is ever free. And it's not like our home is THAT dirty..." Yongguk reasoned. Eight pairs of eyes looked around the living room and the kitchen.

Sure, it wasn't THAT dirty, but it wasn't THAT clean, either. There were several cobwebs dotted in ceiling corners. Dust lined the cupboards and shelves in numerous coats. The wooden and marble parts of the floor looked like they haven't been scrubbed for more than two years. And the kitchen was a downright disaster. However, despite this, B.A.P. was clearly aware of their personal hygiene and their bedrooms were fairly clean.  
Yongguk cleared his throat. "So what do you say? Can we have an agreement that you two will cook and clean for us for everyday that you board here? It only makes sense since we are the only people you know here and we have extra space..."

Jungmi carefully thought about it. She didn't mind cooking and cleaning. She was used to those sorts of things. However, she was worried about how Youngmi would take it. And not to mention, the important thing was getting B.A.P.'s souls into Heaven. WITHOUT falling in love with them. She glanced at her sister, who looked as though she had lost her soul. It shouldn't be too bad... I can take all the cleaning. Youngmi can do some cooking. This could be the perfect opportunity to teach my little sister whatever I didn't teach her while I was alive.

"Okay, I'll agree to this. Under ONE condition."

"What is it?"

"You must NOT fall in love with us. And we won't fall for you guys, either."

The boys glanced at each other. It was clear that the condition would be hard to fulfill. But, they figured that they needed all the help they could get and the girls needed a place to stay.

Yongguk sighed. "Okay, we agree."

~:~:~:~:~

After showing Jungmi and Youngmi the front lawn, backyard, and entire first floor, Yongguk led them to their room. It was a bigger than expected, around the same size as B.A.P.'s kitchen, completely furnished with a double-seated desk, double dresser, full-length mirror, bunk bed, and bedding. They thanked him for his hospitality and went to wash up from their long day. Youngmi flopped onto the bottom mattress to take a nap because she was absolutely exhausted.

Jungmi hid the profiles somewhere where B.A.P. wouldn't be able to find them. After doing this, she sat down on one seat behind the desk. Feeling troubled about her and her sister's current predicament, she bent her head down to pray.

(*Author's Note: Italics are for Jungmi and Bold Italics are for God.)

Heavenly Father, this is going to be hard for Youngmi... You know how much she likes that boy, Jongup. Please give us strength to continue through this mission. I will do my best to watch over Youngmi and complete this mission without any regrets.

What about you, Jungmi?

Sorry?

Don't you have someone you are already attracted to? Perhaps more than one person?

No, I don't, Lord. Didn't you say that I shouldn't? We're Guardian Angels. We have to follow your orders--

Jungmi... Don't think of this as a mission, but as a life lesson. I want you to obey me, no matter what happens. Even if the way I do things are strange. Are you familiar with the story of Abraham and sacrificing his son, Isaac?

Yes. In order to test Abraham's faith in You, You ordered him to sacrifice his son for You.

Can you show me the same faith as Abraham had?

Yes, of course, I can. I trust you with my life! Or... death?

I know that you are worried about Youngmi. If you trust me, there's no need to be worried.

That statement stumped Jungmi for a bit. Of course, God was right. If she trusted him, there was no need to be worried about Youngmi. Even though she trusted God and his confidence in them, she still worried for Youngmi. Her younger sister could be inconsolable if something really horrible happened to anyone she loved. She ended her prayer with thanks to the Lord and stood up to pace around the room.   

An hour later, Jungmi stepped out of the room and made her way downstairs. It was already around 5:00 pm and the house was quiet, signifying that everyone was either out or sleeping, like Youngmi. Once reaching the end of the stairs, Jungmi turned right into the kitchen. Little did she know, someone was already there. She looked up and squeaked in surprise.

Himchan had his back turned, without a shirt, slick with perspiration, and was drinking milk straight from the carton. At the sound of her voice, he immediately started choking and swiftly turned around.

Jungmi's eyes widened at his half- self. His chest was, she had to admit, pretty fit and toned. Though his skin was pale, he definitely wasn't lacking any muscles. She covered her eyes and stammered, "I-I'm so sorry! I didn't mean-- I just came in here to--"

"No, no! I'M sorry! I'm such an idiot for doing this, especially when there are ladies in the house, now. I'll go put on a shirt..." Himchan inched out, feeling a little too exposed. He hurried to the stairs, but stopped to glance back. Jungmi was still covering her eyes. Himchan's lips twitched up into a small smile at this. She's so cute and innocent! He traipsed up the stairs and entered his room.

When she heard his door slam shut, she let out an exhale and uncovered her eyes. She was surprised once more when she saw another person in front of her, about a foot away. Daehyun curiously studied her with his head tilted to the side, his black mask still covering the lower half of his face. Jungmi cleared and made her way toward the refridgerator.

There was an awkward silence as Jungmi busied herself with preparing dinner while Daehyun sat at the counter. He stared at her back, trying to figure out why she hadn't spoken a word, yet. After about ten minutes of cutting and measuring, Jungmi sighed and placed her knife down. She looked up at Daehyun, who was still watching her attentively.

"Daehyun-ssi, do you have anything to say to me?"

Daehyun slowly shook his head. He pointed at the food and smiled as if to say: *I like watching you cook.*

"Do you like watching me cook?" Jungmi murmured.

He nodded. A few more minutes of silence followed.

"Would you like to help me cook?" Jungmi asked.

He rolled his eyes. *Why didn't you ask before?* He stood up and immediately got to work with cooking spaghetti noodles. From there, they began to work in a comfortable silence, mixing, frying, and tasting. That is, until she heard a thwacking noise from Daehyun's end. Surprised, she quickly turned around from her salad and found him throwing spaghetti noodles at the wall.

"What are you doing?" Jungmi demanded, unable to hide her horror.

Daehyun simply gestured toward the noodles sticking to the wall. *Obviously, I'm throwing noodles at the wall.*

"Yes, I can see that. WHY are you doing something so ridiculous?" Jungmi stepped forward and plucked the noodles off of the wall. "Gosh, this is SO unsanitary. If you have to check how the noodles are cooking, Daehyun-ssi, just put one in your mouth and chew." She threw the 'wall noodles' into the trash and scooped a steaming noodle out of the pot. She put it in and chewed.

Daehyun stared at her, waiting for a reaction of some sort. *How is it?*

Jungmi nodded her approval. "Hm, it's good! You should be a cook. Sometimes, getting noodles perfectly right like this even hard for me."

Daehyun softened his gaze as his heart warmed. Wow, she's so pretty and kind. It's going to be hard to NOT fall for her...

~:~:~:~:~

After an hour and a half, Jungmi called everyone down for dinner. Everyone came down, feeling as though they were rudely awakened from their daily nap. However, their moods lifted when they saw the feast in front of them.

Jungmi and Daehyun managed to cook for over ten people. There were soups, salads, meats, an assortment of side dishes, and lots of rice. Jungmi figured that the boys were bottomless pits, so she made for more than eight people.

Everyone quickly sat down and were about to dig in, except for Youngmi and Jungmi. Jungmi stopped the others.

"Don't you guys do something before eating? Like, praying to God and thanking him for the food, perhaps?"

The boys looked at each other, then at Yongguk. Religion was a sore subject for him, especially because he was raised in a Christian home, but his parents weren't the greatest and they neglected him. He gave Jungmi a hard look and said in a gruff voice, "NO. We don't. Just eat your food."

With that, he served himself a plate of kalbi and started eating. Jungmi opened to say something, but Youngjae stopped her with a look. "Don't. He's not cool with praying, or religion in general. If you want to pray, you can, but the rest of us won't because we respect Hyung's decision not to."

Youngmi and Jungmi looked at each other, prayed for their food, and picked up their chopsticks to eat in silence. Jungmi stared thoughtfully at the kind, yet rough leader of B.A.P.

It looks like it's going to take longer than I thought.

 

*****Hey, all! I'm sorry for the long wait! But, I enjoyed writing this chapter, especially because I wanted to add more moments to the DaeJung and HimJung couples... Anyway, please read, subscribe and leave a comment on the bottom! I really appreciate it! Constructive criticism is also welcome! Happy Reading! :)*****