Chapter Five: Jungmi's Search

[HIATUS] UnBreakable

Jungmi swung her backpack around her shoulders and watched her baby sister walk away. She smiled sadly and sighed. A frigid draft picked up around her, forcing her to hug herself tightly around the chest. Her jacket was large and warm, but the breeze still made her shiver as if she wasn't wearing a thing. She shook her head to clear her thoughts and focused on the mission.

Now... where should I start first? The playground?

Since this was her old neighborhood, Jungmi knew exactly where the playground was. Her feet immediately led her towards the semi-busy playground. A smile formed on her lips as she watched the children laugh and play, secretly wanting to join them herself.  How long has it been since I last been to the playground? Since I was ten?

A young mother around her age, or a little older, bumped into her while chasing her child.

"Sorry," bowed the woman. She continued to chase her child, who was shrieking with laughter. Jungmi shook her head at this. I guess having a child turns you into a child as well.

She searched the playground, hoping to find anyone who resembled the guys on her list. She had already memorized their facial features. However, none of the males who entered the playground area had the same features, nor were they old enough. Where could they be? There shouldn't be school at this time... It's winter break.

Jungmi shrugged her shoulders and moved on to the walking and biking trails that s throughout the entire park. Thankfully, there weren't many runners and bikers on the paths, making it easier for her to look at each person's face. Unfortunately, everyone she looked at were either elderly or middle-aged. She checked her watch and facepalmed herself. It was only nine in the morning. I'm such a babo. How am I supposed to find them out here when it's nine in the morning? Boys from high school and college never go out to the park at nine in the morning! Aish, baboya.

To refresh her memory (even though she never needs to), Jungmi opened her backpack to pull out her folder. However, as she was doing this, a biker wheeled past her, a little too close for comfort. A squeak escaped her lips as she fell backwards from shock. Just before she hit the ground, a pair of strong arms caught her around the waist and swung her away from another biker. Due to their combined weight, she landed on the ground while he landed on top of her, his chest smashing into hers. It knocked the wind out of her.    

"Ugh..." mumbled the voice of her 'savior.' She lifted her head and noticed their lips were just a breath apart. Flushing red, she tried to get up, but ended up knocking her forehead against his.

"Ouch!" The guy exclaimed. Jungmi clutched at her forehead, pain searing across it. Seeing this, the guy momentarily forgot his pain and pushed himself off of her. He kneeled down next to her and helped her up to a sitting position.

"Hey, miss, are you alright?" said the guy. Jungmi flashed her eyes at him, ready to yell, but gasped instead.  

In front of her was Youngjae. His dark brown hair was slightly disheveled and his clothes were a little wrinkled and dirty. She thought he was photogenic in the photo, but in person, he was much more handsome. From his large piercing eyes to his sharp chin, she thought he was gorgeous. He looked at her questioningly, waiting for her to respond. She quickly took her gaze off of his face and answered him.

"I'm fine... Thank you for catching me." Jungmi stood up and dusted the grass off of her rear.

Youngjae stood up as well, grinning at little at the hilarity of the situation. There were bits of grass in her long, dark hair and she looked as though she had just been through a roller coaster. Frankly to say, she looked like Medusa, or even Frankenstein's Wife. He did all he could to suppress his laughter.

"No problem. Yah, why were you standing in the middle of the trail? Do you have a death wish or something?" Youngjae teased. Jungmi didn't catch the playfulness of his tone. She mistook it as irritation.

"Oh, no! I was just... trying to take out something from my backpack. I'm so sorry for inconveniencing you." She bowed in apology. Youngjae took one look at this and burst out in laughter. Jungmi straightened up and furrowed her eyebrows. Is he... laughing at me?

"Oh... my stomach..." he gasped after a few minutes.

"What is so funny?" Jungmi demanded. She temporarily forgot that they were on a bike path and stepped forward to close the gap between them. Youngjae wiped the tears from his eyes.

"YOU are! What's your name?" Youngjae asked with a grin.

"My name is Shim Jungmi. And why am I funny?" Jungmi asked.

Youngjae completely avoided her question and introduced himself. "I'm Yoo Youngjae. Nice to meet you!" He winked and held out his hand to shake hers. Instead of shaking his hand, Jungmi firmly crossed her arms across her chest.

"I asked you a question, Youngjae-ssi. Why am I funny?"

"Wow, you really can't take a joke, can you?" Youngjae asked, still avoiding the question.

"No, I can't. Now please, just answer my question."

"Wah, look at this girl. This is daebak..." Youngjae mumbled. He had never met a girl like her, who couldn't take a joke, and somehow, acted exactly like his mother. He leaned in so that his face was just an inch away from hers. "Do you know that you look like Medusa right now? Should I bring you to a mirror so that you can see for yourself?"

Jungmi widened her eyes at his close proximity. She blinked several times before frowning. She took a step back, but was pushed back into Youngjae's arms by a person jogging.

"Yah--!" Jungmi exclaimed as she crashed into his arms again.

"Do you like being in my arms or something? I know I'm handsome, but don't push your luck with me," Youngjae smirked. Jungmi exhaled sharply and pushed him away from her.

"You WISH I liked being in your arms. Aish! Why is today like this? Jeongmal!" Jungmi ruffled her hair. Her gaze fell onto Youngjae's injured right knee. She gasped and suddenly felt guilt. It looked as though his knee was scraped pretty badly, especially since his pants ripped there. Some blood had already begun trinkling down his shin.

"Hey, you're bleeding." She pointed at his knee. He looked at his knee, surprised. He didn't feel a thing. He was about to say that he was fine, but immediately shut his mouth when Jungmi took his hand.

Jungmi led him towards the convenience store a few blocks away form the playground. She made him sit down on one of the benches in front of the store.

"Sit here while I get some things to patch up your leg." Jungmi began walking away, but Youngjae clutched her arm.

"There's no need to go. I'm fine. Really..."

Jungmi let out a sigh. Her motherly instincts were kicking in again. "It's my fault that you got caught in that situation. I know that you want to get rid of me, already, but let me do this before you go, alright?" She gently pulled her arm out of his grasp and walked in.

~:~:~:~:~

Daehyun and Himchan, who had just left B.A.P.'s house, walked past the store and noticed Youngjae sitting on the bench.

"Yah, Youngjae! What are you doing, sitting here?" Himchan asked him in a bright voice as they came over. Youngjae whipped his head up at them, surprised to find them there.

"N-nothing--"

"Wah, what happened to your knee? It's not like you to be clumsy..." Himchan said softly as genuine concern flitted across his face. He reached for his knee, but Youngjae slapped his hand away. "Yah! That hurt!"

Youngjae cleared his throat. "Hyung, can you NOT do that right now? There's a girl--"

"A girl? Ooh! Do tell!" Himchan exclaimed as he plopped down next to Youngjae. Daehyun rolled his eyes and went into the store to buy a drink. Youngjae sighed since Daehyun, who was usually his savior in these types of situations, was gone.

"Hyung--!"

"Oh, come on, Youngjae. Humor your hyung. There's no one who interests me in my school. Who is this girl?"

"Just someone that I met. She's in the store right now, buying ointments for my leg."

"Is she pretty?" Himchan asked with a large grin. Youngjae shot him a look. Even though he thought that Jungmi was very kind and pretty, he didn't want his hyung to hit on her, much less, talk to her.

"Do you think I would tell you even if I thought she was?" Youngjae snapped. Himchan just chuckled.

"So, she is. I can't wait to meet her!" He clapped his hands together in anticipation.

"I'd rather have her meet Daehyun than you, Hyung! You're such a ert!"

Himchan feigned hurt at his comment and gasped. "How can you think this of your hyung, Youngjae? I'm so hurt!"

"Aish!" Youngjae swore under his breath and ignored Himchan while waited for Jungmi to come back out.  

~:~:~:~:~

"Where is the ointment...?" mumbled Jungmi as she looked around the medicine section of the convenience store for the small Neosporin bottle. She picked up a band-aid box, a bag of cotton balls, and a bandage wrap. Also, as an apology gift, she got him a bottle of Minute Maid orange juice and water.
Just as she closed the door to the beverage refrigerator, she took a step and bumped into someone. "Oh! I'm sorry..."

She looked up and gasped in shock. The male she bumped into had toffee-colored hair, big brown eyes, and a black mask covering the entire lower half of his face. The male furrowed his brows at her and jerk his head to the side. Clearly afraid of his appearance, she instantly moved to the side and held her breath as he passed her.

Daehyun glanced curiously at her back as he took out three bottles of Chilsung Cider. She remained stiff and unmoving. I swear... I've seen her before. It's hard to forget a pretty face like hers. He shrugged his shoulders and went to pay for his items.

Jungmi peeked at his leaving form and waited for him to leave. She leaned her back against one of the refridgerator doors and willed her heartrate to calm down. Oh, my goodness... Why is that guy so scary? I'm usually brave enough to stand up against guys like him, but I'm seriously afraid of that guy! Her gaze shifted downwards and she noticed the bottles of Neosporin. She grabbed one and hurriedly paid for her items.

When she walked out, her heart dropped. The scary guy was speaking to Youngjae and another guy with black hair, which she recognized to be Himchan from her list. Youngjae noticed her and called to her.

"Jungmi! Come meet my friends!" He waved to her. She took a hesitant step, for both of the other boys looked at her at the same time.

Daehyun smiled behind his mask. So, SHE'S the one who caught Youngjae's attention? Interesting...

Himchan smiled widely at Jungmi as she came close to the group. He took note of her big doe-like eyes and pink pouty lips. He stood up and greeted her with a handshake. "Hello, I'm Kim Himchan, what's your name?"

Jungmi did her best to steady herself. Himchan was indeed handsome and she could say that he earned the title of "ulzzang." She found herself blushing as she took his hand and shook it.

"I'm Shim Jungmi. Nice to meet y--"

"Yah!" Youngjae interjected. "Why weren't you this nice to me when we met each other?"

"As I recall, Youngjae-ssi, you said that I looked like Medusa," Jungmi answered with an angry look. Youngjae mumbled something like, "Traitor," and avoided her gaze.

"Medusa???" Himchan said in mock surprise. "How DARE you say that to a pretty girl, Youngjae!"

Daehyun stared at the girl, while willing her to look his way. She didn't look at him. In fact, it seemed as though she was trying her best to avoid him. Why is she trying to avoid me? Is she usually like this?

"Anyway, this is Jung Daehyun. He doesn't talk much." Youngjae pointed at Daehyun, while trying desperately to change the topic.

Jungmi's eyes widened. THIS guy is Daehyun? From what I recall, Daehyun is very handsome, but to me, this guy is really scary!

Daehyun noticed her eyes widen at the mention of his name. She KNOWS me! Why is it that I can't remember where I've seen her from? In order to appear friendly, Daehyun stuck out his hand. Jungmi seemed to contemplate shaking his hand. Youngjae noticed this and chuckled.

"Are you afraid of Daehyun?"

"A-a little... He surprised me in the store..." muttered Jungmi. She continued to eye his hand.

"Don't worry. He doesn't bite."

Jungmi took Daehyun's hand and shook it while looking into his eyes. She was surprised to see them smiling, which made her soften a little bit. Oh, he's not as bad as I thought. Why does he wear that mask?

"Um, nice to meet you, Daehyun-ssi." Jungmi was about to let go, but was astonished that he held on a little longer and even squeezed her hand. He let go, his eyes still smiling. Jungmi cleared while her heart palpitated. What is WRONG with me?

Daehyun was beaming under his mask. In no way was he letting Youngjae nor Himchan know that he was taken by Jungmi.

"Let me tend to your wound, Youngjae-ssi, and I'll be on my way. And drink this, too. It helps with blood circulation." Jungmi gave him the orange juice then, hastily and carefully cleaned his wound with water. She could hear him swearing under his breath when she dabbed the ointment onto this knee. She put a few bandages on the more serious spots and finally wrapped his knee with the bandage wrap. She smiled at her work. "There. Good as new."

Youngjae examined his knee, amazed that she did the job very well. "Wow, to think that I was angry with you earlier for blemishing my perfect knee..."

Both Daehyun and Himchan scoffed at this. Youngjae looked at them angrily. "What?"

"Perfect? PLEASE, Youngjae. If you want to know what perfection looks like, look at me." Himchan did what was supposedly a y pose. This time, Youngjae and Daehyun laughed at him.

Feeling oddly like a fourth-wheel, Jungmi secretly backed away. Daehyun caught her going in the corner of his eye and swiftly turned around. He questioned her with his eyes. She froze from his intense stare. Only then did Youngjae realize the she was about to leave.

"Where are you going, Jungmi?"

"I have to... find somewhere to stay for the night." This comment shocked the boys. Even she was surprised herself. She had forgotten that she had nowhere to stay for the night.

"Come to think of it, you just bumped into me an hour ago and I never had a chance to ask you about anything. You have nowhere to stay for the night?" Youngjae asked her. She nodded.

"My sister and I just landed here a few hours ago from America. However, all of our luggage have been lost and ways of communication have also been lost. When I met you, she and I had just gotten off the bus to look for a place to stay in our hometown. So far, we haven't found a place, yet," Jungmi easily fibbed. She couldn't believe that she just lied, but for some odd reason, it was as though God had allowed her to do it this one time. She just hoped that Youngmi's story would be the same if she happened to meet any of the boys on the list.

"Really?" Himchan asked. He thought about the town and where would be a good place for her to stay. "How about a motel?"

"Not enough money," Jungmi answered truthfully. It was true that she had no money. She had enough money in her wallet for food, but not enough for even a night in a motel.

"Do you have any friends from before you went to America?" Youngjae suggested. Jungmi shook her head.

"None. We left for America about six years ago... And it seems as though every one of them left here to pursue other things."

"Hm... Well, I don't know if Yongguk will be okay with it--" Himchan began. Youngjae cut across him, knowing exactly what he was going to say next.

"No, Hyung. Yongguk-hyung is NOT going to like that suggestion. Believe me!" Youngjae said in a panicked voice.

"Well, her and her sister have nowhere to sleep tonight! And their luggage is gone, too! That means no clothes, no ways of communication, no personal items, nothing! What are we supposed to do, leave them on the streets?" Himchan growled back. He hated it when Youngjae always stuck by Yongguk's rules.

"It's okay! My sister and I will eventually find a place..." Jungmi began. But, Himchan was hysterical.

"No, Jungmi. You have no resources to go anywhere. We have an extra room in our place--"

"But, Hyung--"

"I'LL deal with Yongguk, Youngjae, so don't worry about it. Let's just call him and have him and the others meet us here." Himchan was firm with his words. He took out his phone and dialed Yongguk's number. Youngjae immediately shut up and looked up at Jungmi.

"I feel bad about your situation, Jungmi. Especially when you bandaged my knee. But... our eldest hyung, Yongguk, isn't very fond of strangers, even women. Nor is he willing to have two random girls enter into a house where six boys live. He's too respectful for that." Youngjae said in a dejected tone. Something he said caught her attention.

"Wait... did you just say that SIX boys live in the house???" Jungmi exclaimed.

"Yeah. There are six of us: Yongguk-hyung, Himchan-hyung, Daehyun, me, and two other boys named Jongup and Zelo. We're sort of like brothers to each other, so we all live together under one house," Youngjae explained.

"How is that possible? How many rooms do you have?" Jungmi couldn't believe it! Maybe the mission wouldn't be so hard to accomplish since they were all living under one roof. She smiled inwardly at the thought.

"We have four rooms. Yongguk-hyung and Himchan-hyung share a room. Then, me and Daehyun and finally, Jongup and Zelo."

Jungmi was about to ask another question when Himchan suddenly began yelling.

"YAH!!! GUKKIE-AH! It's not the time to joke around! I asked you a question! There will be two-- What? Oh, I thought you said-- Oh, you happened to meet a girl, too? She also said...? Oh, really? What's her name? Shim Youngmi?" Himchan looked at Jungmi. She gave an affirmative that Youngmi was her sister. "So, you'll let them stay for the night? Wah, this is daebak! Yep. YES. I understand. Yeah, I'll let them know. Alright, bye."

"So, what, he actually allowed them to stay?" Youngjae asked incredulously.

"Yep. But, you'll never guessed what happened!" Himchan said with a wild grin on his face.

Daehyun stared at him. Let me guess... Yongguk met her sister.

"Yongguk met her sister?" Youngjae asked.

"How'd you know?" Himchan asked, his smile deflating. Youngjae rolled his eyes at him.

"You mentioned her name while on the phone, Hyung. Not to mention, you looked toward Jungmi for confirmation if that was her sister."

"Oh, I see... Well, anyway. We don't have to go anywhere. The four of them will be meeting us here." Jungmi's head whipped up.

"FOUR of them...?" Jungmi asked.

"Jongup and Zelo are with them, too."

*****Hello, all! I'm so sorry for this late update... I feel as though I've been saying this a lot... But, I promise to be more on it with my updates. I hope you enjoyed this update, though! I enjoyed writing it. ^^ Please subscribe and comment! Constructive Critciism is also welcome! I appreciate it! :)*****