Chapter 17

Don't Look Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The elementary school yard was bustling with young children running to and fro before it was time to head inside when the bell rang. The clouds were grey and looming low in the sky giving off a very somber atmosphere.

“Alright, have a good day, sweetie. Remember to bring home your spelling book today,” Hyojin said, patting her daughter’s head as they stood at the front gates. Normally she would walk Anya to the front door, but the six year had deemed that annoying and swore up and down that she was a big girl and didn’t need her hand held. Each day that passed she grew up a little bit more, but she was always going to be the little baby that Hyojin had brought home from the hospital.

“Mama, isn’t Joon going to school today? Why did he stay home, is he sick?” Anya asked, tilting her head up to look at her mother. She blinked as a raindrop fell onto her face, wiping it away with the sleeve of her blue jacket.

Hyojin breathed deeply and smiled down at her daughter. The child was so observant and bright; she knew that sooner than later Anya was going to start asking questions; she already knew that their family was a little bit different than most families.

“Well, Anya, Joon is feeling a little sad today and he wants to spend some extra time with mommy. You know what? I think it would make him really happy if you drew him a pretty picture in art class. What do you say?” Hyojin suggested, trying to differ the subject.

Anya kicked her shoes against the ground and shrugged her shoulders, brushing the black bangs that hung in her eyes.

“But why is he sad?” She pressed on; wanting to know what was really going on. She stared at her mother intently, set on getting an answer on this mysterious sadness that affect Joon.

Hyojin pressed her lips together and tried to think of a way to explain Joon’s situation in a way that a six year old would understand. “Joon misses someone that he loves a lot, and he hasn’t seen them in a very long time. Do you remember what I told you about our family being different?” She began, ignoring the school bell that cut through the air.

“Uh-huh, yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter