Chapter 14

Don't Look Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyojin stared at her son with a stunned expression upon her face, shocked by the statement that just left Joon’s mouth. The sudden excitement from was replaced by confusion and worry, and a million thoughts were running through her head. Leaning forward on the kitchen table, she nodded her head slowly and reached over and took Joon’s hand into her own, pausing for a moment before she spoke. When had Joon gotten so big? It seemed like just yesterday that she was holding his small, thirteen year old hand.

“Sweetie,” She began slowly, “What do you mean ‘what does it take’?”

“I mean, why would CPS be called on someone? Like, how bad does a home have to be before someone steps in to take the kid away from their parents?” Joon replied, trying to make sense of the mixed up jumble he was thinking about. Hyojin thought about it for a moment before nodding slowly, patting Joon’s hand affectionately.

“Well, it’s not just about the home in general, but home life as well. If a parent is abusing, physically or mentally, or neglecting their child, that would be risk for the child. If the home is not suitable, or if things that happen in the place and the child is forced to see, for example, ion, drug usage, etc. You’d have to have a lot of proof, then call CPS and they have to gather proof and opinion and submit it to a judge to sign the warrant for removal of the child,” Hyojin explained, thinking back to her days as a caseworker for foster care. She’d read so many reports about what children had been forced through at home, and it was sickening to think how much they had to go through before someone could actually save them.

“So…you have to get proof that something bad is happening and then prove it to CPS and they come to see, and then…I don’t get it,” Joon said, frustration hidden in his tone. He didn’t understand a single word that Hyojin had just said, all he heard was that it seemed damn near impossible for Mir to get help.

Sensing her sons displeasure with this information, Hyojin sighed and leaned back i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter