I love you too, Lee Donghae

Forever ✿⊱╮

When you hear a knock at the door, you throw on some jeans and a tank top and skid over to it. You open the door and there's Eunhyuk, standing on your doorstep with the worst look of anxiety on his face you ever thought he could have. 

You both make your way hastily to his car, getting in and driving off as fast as you could, not even taking time to strap your seat belts knowing that after what just happened, that'd probably would be the best thing to do right about now.

The first few minutes of the car ride was silent. You had all sorts of crazy thoughts going through your head, making your heart hurt. You snap out of it when a scream came from Eunhyuk.

"______! There he is!" he pointed straight ahead of you, where the saw two cars, one black (Donghae's) and the other red pushed into each other. There were police cars and ambulances surrounding the scene, as well as slow traffic because of the nosey drivers taking in long glimpses of the accident.

After pulling over, you and Eunhyuk rush out of the car, trying to get a better look at what happened to your Fishy when all of a sudden, a young, handsome-looking policeman stops you. "You both aren't aloud to get any closer than this," he held out a hand to stop you both. 

"Sir, that's our friend over there in that wreck! Please, let us see if he's okay!" Eunhyuk cried out. The police man slowly lowered his hand. 

"Which guy do you know?" he asked slowly.

"The one that owns the black car," you state. The police man took a look back at the scene. "He's already in the ambulance on his way to the hospital. I don't think you want to see what he looks like, he's in pretty bad shape...but, I'll ask the paramedics if you could follow them there, alright?" he gave them a reassuring smile.

"Oh, thank you, sir!" Eunhyuk thanked and he bowed to him. The police man smiled and held out his hand for a hand shake. "Please, call me Daesung." Eunhyuk grabbed his hand and shook it.

 

​After Daesung got the okay from the paramedics, you and Eunhyuk got into the car and followed then to the designated location. You check the time (it's 4:30 am) and immediately take out your cell phone and dialed Heechul's number (since Donghae is his favorite dongsaeng).  After waiting a few seconds, you hear Heechul's voice. As much as you hate waking Heechul up, this is an emergency.

"...Is it life or death?" Heechul answered, sounding exhausted and irritated. "Yes, Donghae's been in a car accident, we need you at Seoul Medical Center, hurry!" you hang up before he can ask questions.

Heechul sat up in his bed still holding the phone to his ear in complete shock. Did I hear her right? His heart began to race as he sped out of bed and threw on some proper clothing before rushing out of the door into his car.

While he was driving, he called his hyung, Leeteuk, and told him about what you said. Eventually, Leeteuk called Kangin, Kangin called Yesung and so on.

 

While you and Eunhyuk nervously wait outside of Donghae's hospital door, you see Heechul along with Leeteuk walking towards you two. "Which room is he in?" Leeteuk asked nervously. You pointed to the door about 5 feet down the hall from you guys. "Are we aloud to go in?" Leeteuk asked again.

"Not yet." you answer. Heechul anxiously bit his lip as he watched Yesung and Kangin appear through the door along with Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and the rest of your friends.

"What the hell happened?" Yesung questioned in fear. His eyes face was red and his eyes were glossy.

​You don't' wanna answer him; one more word that comes out of your mouth and your going to break down in front of them. Eunhyuk sensed your emotions, so he answered Yesung for you.

 

After hearing what Eunhyuk had to say, Yesung rubbed his arm in worry, biting on his tongue. Siwon was in the corner praying. Kangin was staring off into space. You could cut the tension in the room with a butter knife if you wanted to.

​All of a sudden, the door to the room Donghae was in opened up. Every head turned, watching a doctor walk towards you all. He stopped when he reached you and Eunhyuk, since you guys were there first. But before he said anything, he looked at all of your friends. "Do they all know Donghae, too?" he used his pen to point at them. "Yes, we are all friends." You know it's a lot of you all there; but hey, you all are very close.

The doctor only nodded in response, then bowed to you. "Well, my name is Dr. Choi Minho. We've been doing some tests on your friend and the good news is that he's now fully conscious." Your heart rate slowed down a bit. At least knowing that he's conscious gave you a bit more hope.

"But," he began, making all of your hope start to fall, "he's in a lot of pain, and he's in very bad condition. A few glass shards were found in his head and around his eyes, his left leg is badly bruised and fractured and he has multiple open wounds. We're giving him some medication to help reduce the pain, and it's working, but...we're gonna need more than medicine to do the trick..." his voice trailed off as he gave you a heartfelt look in the eye. You knew what it meant. Your eyes began to fill with tears.

"I'll let you all go in to speak to him...one at a time though, the room is pretty small." Dr. Minho took a few steps to the side, allowing anyone who had the courage to go in at the time get to the door. Leeteuk, the oldest out of your friends got up first. After a few minutes, he walked out of Donghae's room, red-faced and glossy-eyed.

​The pattern continued up until it was your turn. You slowly strutted past Eunhyuk, who had taken the most amount of time so far with him, and slowly opened Donghae's door.

When you saw him, you held your chest in pain.

The doctor was right; he was in very bad condition. His left leg was wrapped in white bandages, which barley kept from getting soaked with blood. He had many open cuts and scrapes on his arms and hands, which were also partially covered in bandages. Though his eyes were half open, he had dark purple circles around them, where you could see pieces of glass sticking up from his skin.

When you finally made it over to him, he tried his best to look up at you, groaning softly at the pain that you know he's in. He smiled softly when he saw you. "H-hey," he croaked, softer than a whisper.

"Donghae..I'm so sorry..." you attempted to say, holding back tears.

"Hey...what are you sorry for?" he tried to turn his head a bit so that he could look at you properly, but the pain was unbearable.

"I'm sorry that I wasn't there with you when the accident happened." your voice shook. Dang it, don't cry!

"That's...ahhh...not your fault..." Donghae tried to comfort you, knowing that your going to break down at any moment. You sat your hands down beside him and soon enough, you felt something slide in them.

You glanced at your fingers then at Donghae, who was smiling at you. "Can you do something for me?" Donghae asked you.

"A-anything." you stuttered.

"I want you to tell the guy in room A-47 that I forgive him." He opened his eyes a bit wider, letting you see that he was very sincere with his words. You nodded. "And one more thing I want to say to you before you go."

You grab a chair behind you and sat down in it, gazing into Donghae's glossy, red, half-lidded eyes, which he soon closed because of his eye pain. "Yes?"

"I want you to know that you were, are, and always will be my best friend....I want you to know that I've cherished every minute that we've been together, and that I prayed for your safety every night...I love you, and all of my other friends and I want to say thanks for being there for me....now, remember that song I showed you? It's burned onto a CD sitting on my shelf in the piano room...I want you to have it....listen to it whenever you feel sad or lonely, so that I'll be with you...alright?" he re-opened his eyes, and looks up at you, smiling when you nodded in response.

"Thank you, _____. " he whispered again, and he released you from his slightly tight grip. You move the chair back, and watched as Donghae closed his eyes, trying to withstand his pain. You kiss his forehead before heading towards the door. Before you turn the handle to open it, you take one last glance at Donghae. "Goodbye, Fishy," you whispered to yourself, letting the tears fall.

​After everything is done, you and your friends all head home.

​His name was Lee Donghae. He was your best guy friend.

​He died when he was 24 years old.