Down Memory Lane...

Forever ✿⊱╮

Donghae's POV

After my best friends leave me at the hospital, I am alone and in a great deal of pain.The only company I have is of the sound of my heart monitor. My eyes ache, my legs burn and I can't move much. Soon enough, there's a bright white light in the corner of the room. I'm wondering where that is coming from, so I ask one of the nurses in the room if she could turn down the light.

"What light?" she asked me with a frown.

"You don't see it? It's so bright..." I tried to say, ignoring my pain. I squinted my eyes when trying to look at it.

Then, all of a sudden, I got light-headed. I couldn't move. I slowly laid my head back, feeling numb all over my body. All of my muscles began to relax, and I could hear the painful sound of the heart monitor going flat. 

I am soon floating above what looks like me in a hospital bed. The last thing I witness is the nurse drop her clipboard and cover in horror before I am violently pulled into a tunnel.

Beautiful colors of sapphire blue whipped past me as I explored what I was going through. Outside of the tunnel, I see stars and nebulas, so charming, so scenic, I cannot explain them. While looking at all of these things, I began to question myself. What's happening? Why do I feel at peace and so curious, when I should be afraid? I don't even know what's going on...

I continued to explore the tunnel I was in until everything started to get brighter. The light was blinding, but it didn't hurt enough for me to squint. At that moment, the background tunnel all fades to black, but the white blinding light is still there, and there is heavenly music playing. I swear, I have never heard anything more beautiful in my life. There was this overwhelming feeling of love and compassion---it was the most incredible feeling I've ever felt, I did not want this to end.

"Donghae....."

I whipped my head around to the left, then to the right. 

"Who's there?" I asked in curiosity.

"It's me....I'm right in front of you."

I look ahead of me and I see the white light, now in the shape of a winged creature, who looked a bit like me.

"Who are you?" I asked, studying the creature.

"I'm your guardian angel," he said without hesitation.

Guardian angel? Aren't I dreaming? But he seemed so tangible....

"Am I dreaming?" I decided to ask him. He snickered at my comment.

"No Donghae, my friend...you've passed on...shall I show thee?" With a flap of his large bright white wings, there is a gash of dust that appears, and it fades into a picture. In that picture, I see my body, and doctors with a defibrillator. They constantly try to put life back into me, but it looks like it isn't working. One of the doctors took off their masks, and I can see that it is Dr. Minho. He has tears in his eyes. "Alright guys...that's enough...he's not coming back..." he wipes the sweat from his forehead and heads out the door.

End of Donghae POV

 

 

You laid your head on your bed re-thinking about what happened the other day. How could a person ever be so unsympathetic towards the death of a stranger's loved one? Especially if they caused it! You couldn't help but feel extreme anger towards this man, but who could blame you, right?

After hours of staying inside, you decide to go for a walk. Maybe it would take away some of the pain in your heart.

When you make it outside, the scenery of a setting sun entered your vision, followed by a cool breeze. Nothing more reminded you if Donghae. You take the first step into the evening, each step bringing heartache.

You went a few blocks from your house, no thoughts running through your head until a familiar scene catched your attention.

You look at a decrepit building, windows busted out, half burned down, and graffiti attacking it. You smiled a bit remembering that it was the high school you and Donghae attended.

 

*Flashback*

"Just go talk to him!" Donghae said to you with a nudge. You and he were getting ready to leave your 7th hour class and go home. You bit your lip, staring at the guy your heart beat for at the time from across the room, grabbing his books and backpack. "But what if he thinks I'm a freak? You know I'll spazz," you told him.

"_________, don't be so scared! You'll never know anything about him unless you introduce yourself! Want me to help you?"

You thought about it for a moment. Donghae does have great knowledge of romance. Maybe he could help you.

"Sure then." you surrendered your argument, allowing Donghae to take over your future with this guy. Donghae smiled and pumped his fist "Assah! Don't worry, _____, I promise, you'll love me after this." he got up and walked over to where the guy you liked and his other, mean-looking friend were sitting. You watched in awe what Donghae was doing, and a smile slowly spread across your face.

When you all left out of class and walked outside, you followed Eunhyuk and Donghae along with his other mean looking friend to the dance room. When Donghae flipped on the light switch, he ran over to the stereo, put in a CD and put his finger on the play button. "You ready?" he asked before pushing play. Eunhyuk nodded. Donghae pressed play and the music began.You blushed at both their efforts in trying to out dance one another. After a few minutes, the song was over and the two boys were panting.

"Great job, you both," Eunhyuk's friend called out opening the door, "but I have to say Hyuk, Donghae won."

Eunhyuk nodded his head in agreement before wiping sweat off of his head. "It's cool...I do have to work on my slide glide a bit."

Donghae glanced over at you. "Did you say slide glide?" he asked, Eunhyuk, but he was looking at you with an evil smile. "My friend, _______, knows a lot about that. Maybe she can help you?" 

Your mouth dropped at his statement. Sure, you could do the slide glide, but that's about the ONLY good move you could do.But, Eunhyuk seemed so ecstatic about Donghae' offer, you couldn't turn him down. "Yeah, how about during lunch, we can go some place...quiet?" You bit your tongue at the thought of being alone with him.

"Yeah, I'd like that! See you tomorrow, uh...________? That's your name right?" he gave you a smile that could kill a thousand fangirls (LOL).

"Yeah. See ya." you watched as he walked out the door with his friend, who gave you a creepy stare before leaving.

"So, do you love me or what!?" Donghae asked you, throwing on arm around your shoulder. You nodded, trying to slow your heart down from the encounter while you and Donghae walked out of the dance room.

*End of Flashback*

 

You let your smile fade away when your memories disappeared and all you could see was a dead building. You walked away, this time turning down another street.

Down this street, there was nothing but small houses and a large field with a medium sized park in the middle of it. You studied it, wondering how the grass was still a neat color of green and the park still clean and fresh. You thought back to your days in 10th grade, where you, Donghae, Eunhyuk and Heechul would come to this park to play around, talk, or where you all wanted to be alone.

 

*Flashback*

"I bet you 10 won I could stick that landing..." Heechul, the young 16 year-old stated, looking at the large space between the slide and the sandbox. "Don't do it, Heechul-ah...you'll get hurt." Eunhyuk said rather plainly, like he didn't care if he did it or not. You and Donghae look at one another, not knowing whether to agree with Eunhyuk, or to encourage Heechul.

Instead of waiting for an answer from the both of you, Heechul positioned himself and bending his knees before flying off of the riser, into the sandbox face first.

He hit the sandbox pretty hard, and he wasn't moving afterwards. "Heechul?" Eunhyuk asked in a slightly worried tone.

Heechul didn't budge.

"HEECHUL!?" He screamed again, before running over to him, followed by you and Donghae. Eunhyuk got on his knees and shook Heechul, who was laying flat on his stomach in sand. "Can he even breathe!?" Donghae asked in fear. He hit Heechul on the back a couple of times, and Heechul, from what it looked like, was coughing harshly. "Omigosh, did he get sand in his throat!?" You screamed. "Flip him over!"

Eunhyuk grasped  the coughing Heechul's side, flipping him over. You all stop in your place instantly when you see Heechul's facial expression.

He's not coughing. He's laughing.

"Hahahahaha! You guys thought I was dead!? Kkkkkkk, really!? You all really don't have faith in me! But, now you all owe me 10 won!" He playfully held out his hand, expecting the money upfront.

"What the hell man!?" You punched him in the shoulder, earning a yelp from him.

"Yeah, eff you, Heechul!" Eunhyuk, who was always afraid to curse at the time, exclaimed while standing to his feet and grabbing his book-bag.

You and Donghae do the same, walking away from the park and on your way home.

Heechul skidded up from the sand. "Aw, c'mon you guys, it was only a joke!" he grabbed his bag and walked off too, trying to catch up with you all.

*End of Flashback*

 

You sighed while staring at the park. You'll never forgot how close you came to getting shocked to death because you thought Heechul was hurt. And you're sure he'll never forget the scolding you gave him afterwards.

After a long time of thinking and walking, you decide to head home. The sky was already almost a full dark blue by the time you neared your door step.

When you entered you house, all you did was shower, then go back to bed. Nothing but the faint sound of the TV in your living room was keeping you company. You tilted your head to the side, thinking of the moments you had with Donghae, Heechul, Eunhyuk, Leeteuk, Yesung and all the others that you met afterwards. Tears formed in your eyes, still trying to understand that one of your long term friends--which happened to be the closest one to you, was no longer gonna be there for you.

Just as you were gonna let  the tears in your eyes fall, you remembered what Eunhyuk told you the other day. About being strong for Donghae and for him. You wiped away the tears that had somehow managed to escape from your eyes before bending down into a prayer position.

"...dear God," you began, your voice already trembling, "...I'm sure you know what I'm going through. And I'm sure that all you want me to do is to be happy for my friend, that he is now in a better place. But, before I can say my final goodbye, will you please, just one last time...tell him that i love him, and that I miss him very much? It'd mean a lot to me..." you couldn't hold in your tears and you broke down instantly. You mentally cursed at yourself for breaking your focus on not crying, but you didn't really blame yourself because the emotional wounds haven't healed yet.

You climbed into bed and shut your eyes, sniffling occasionally before drifting off into a black sleep.

From up above, in Heaven, Donghae and his guardian angel could hear every word you said. Donghae smiled softly, missing you more than you missed him.

"Thank you, _____"  he whispered, admiring you while you slept.

"And I love you too."