A Second Chance

Thought Of As Small

There we sat in the practice room, eating ramyun and watching TV. 2ne1 always wondered why I chose to eat packaged, cheap food like this when I'm one of the richest people in Korea.

 

Let's just say I'd rather eat and enjoy with my best friends than little portions of crap and have to act 'high-class' and 'lady-like'.

 

"You're such a cheater!! I bet the ace is up your sleeve or something!" Bom yelled at Minzy, they were playing some card game that led to stupid conflicts about them cheating; which clearly, both of them were.

 

"Nu uh!! You're the one who's cheating, unnie!" Minzy shot back. I was just about to get up and tell both of them to shut their yap, when I heard a small creak from downstairs. Thankfully, I was blessed with very cautious ears and outstanding hearing.

 

*Who's that?* I alarmed myself. "Hide! It's probably the old ajhumma again!!" I whispered to everyone as we hid behind the tables and couches.

 

"Hello? Is anyone here?" I heard a familiar voice. It wasn't a woman's voice, however, it was a man's.

 

CL looked at me in panick and I sensed she knew who it was too.

 

"Hello?" He repeated. *Hm.. let's have a little fun.* I smirked to myself. Since everyone believed this place was a haunted, run-down townhouse, let's scare this guy out.

 

"Oooooo.." I cupped my hands over my mouth and made a sound. I heard his footsteps, which shook and jumped. I snickered and tried not to make any sound.

 

"H-Hello?! Is anyone here???" The guy asked again. I put on my best dead ajhumma act and replied, "Get out.... of my house.. little boy.." I said and laughed to myself as CL tried to hold in her laughter besides me as well.

 

I was too busy pranking to notice the pair of legs standing right besides me. "What the hell are you doing?" He looked down at me. *. I'm caught.*

 

 

 

"Why are you here, anyways? And how'd you know where we practice? Have you been stalking us-"

 

"Woah, don't jump to conclusions there," He interrupted me before I could ask further questions. "I just saw you walking in here the other day and I figured this must be your practice room.."

 

Me and 2ne1 exchanged glances and they were surely glaring at me for giving away our hide-out. "W-Well that doesn't give you the right to just barge in here without permission," I scolded him like a child, though he gave me quiet a comeback.

 

"I used to live here." My eyes almost popped out of my sockets at his reply. *Him? The multi-millionaire, super star used to live in this run-down place?*

 

"Don't mess around like that.." I began.

 

"I'm not," Jonghyun seriously stated, "and shouldn't I be telling you guys this? This isn't your property, now is it?? What gives you the right to practice in this studio without permission? I know you guys don't own this building," he smirked.

 

"And how do you know that?" CL gave him a look that I would've given too.

 

It took him a while to gather his information. "Me and my grandpa used to live here back when I was 5. He died, and I had no one left so the land owner threw me out into the streets, along with all of my grandpa's belongings. His leather cap, his worn out oxfords.. everything." 

 

His head was turned away from us, as if reminding himself what had happened. "Oh.." Everyone held a hint of pity and sorry for him.

 

"We didn't ask you for a whole life story.. we just- I didn't-" I couldn't possibly say anything mean to him after he just gave me a bunch of backround information. "I'm sorry." I finally blurted out.

 

"For what? You're not the one who kicked me out of my childhood home and into the rat-infested streets," He gave a fake chuckle which, of course, no one laughed to.

 

"What about your parents?" Minzy curiously asked. I nudged her in the stomach, though I knew everyone wanted to know as well.

 

He hesitated a bit, but let it out. "They died. My mom.. after giving birth to me.. she.." he trailed off, not wanting to remember what had happened. "And my dad- well, he was a jerk. After my mom passed away, he couldn't handle taking care of me and ran off with some other younger girl and handed me to my grandpa."

 

Jonghyun just sat on the velvet red, beat-up and ripped couch and recited his story to us. "Hah.. his own son. He just gave up on me and dis-owned me. At least he got what he deserved. He got into a car accident around a year after. I don't even know what my parents looked like.." He choked.

 

"But I remembered my grandfather told me my mother was a caring, beautiful, noble woman. She couldn't even hurt flies or ants that started to build up in her house when she was raised in a farm. That's how kind she was," he looked up at the roof and imagined his mother as a child, I'm guessing.

 

Again, we didn't ask for a life story. Though, now that I know more about him.. I guess I was wrong to call him a big jerk. He just had a bad past, that's all.

 

I gave him a light pat on the back, "It's okay," was the only thing I could say. His whole family died, he had no real friends, his life sounds even worse than mine.

 

"I'm sorry I thought you were a scumbag jerk at the auditions.. I totally take that back!" Minzy raised her hands up in surrender and everyone gave her a "shut the up!" look.

 

"Well, you were kind of mean.. we didn't know how you really were. We're all really sorry, sunbaenim," Bom said and everyone gave a small bow.

 

He smiled half-heartedly as if everything was alright and nothing bad has occurred. *Wow.. how can he be so strong? After all that has happened, he can still pull off a bright smile like that. I look up to him now.*

 

"There's just something about you guys.. something that tells me I can trust you guys," he said, but directed it mostly to me.

 

Everyone smiled and blushed, "Yeah, we're not a bunch of s like that Hara," CL smirked. The mention of her name hurt me a bit, but I tried not to show it.

 

"Oh yeah!! That chick that you fought with!" Jonghyun shot up and I covered up the pain in my heart. He calmed down and put on a proud face. "It was so brave of you to stand up to her like that, really. I respect you greatly now because I see you're a strong girl." All the aching dissappeared.

 

His words were like a big rewarding gold medal to me. I smiled and slightly blushed at his compliment, hoping no one would notice. He stared and admired me for a while before looking at everyone.

 

"Oh! I just came here to apologize to you guys.. haha, sorry I got carried away.." he scratched the back of his head, "Anyways, I wanted to let you guys know that I hooked you up with a record-label. I told them about you guys. How you write your own rock music, how you're an edgy hardcore raw band, how you show womanly pride. They take interest in you and want to meet you in person!" He took out some papers and a business card and set it on the small table.

 

"Wah.. you actually did that for us? Jinja?!" Bom bounced with joy.

 

"Yah, you're not tricking us are you?" I was still suspicious as to why he would do this for us. He rolled his eyes. "You still don't trust me?" Jonghyun winked at me and I felt my heart flutter a bit.

 

Though I ignored and continued examining the paperwork with everybody else. "You guys were actually the best performance I saw at the auditions.." He admitted, "And if they like you and sign a contract deal with you, you each will get to live in a dorm together, have a salary of 200,000 a month, and alot more. You can thank me later," He smiled at us with wide eyes.

 

"Jonghyun-oppa.. Are we in heaven??" Minzy asked. Everyone smiled and I thought to myself.

 

*Not quiet yet, Minzy. Not yet.*