Chapter 9

Calming Storms

The rest of the day is spent aimlessly wandering through the city, not really caring where the two of you wind up. Going in and out of stores, sampling random foodstuffs and desserts (particularly desserts), and joking about your “relationship” (though it doesn’t come out as easily for you) the two of you just hangout like you usually do.

Just you and Chen, best friends with no agenda and that’s how you two like it.

“Ah, well, this has been a productive Saturday don’t you think?” he asks giving you a sideways glance. The two of you are sitting on a bench in the little slice of nature in your city, a small park smack in the middle.

“If you call lying to the whole student body about our relationship status productive than yeah, I guess so.” you reply shrugging. It’s almost evening and there isn’t a single sign of a storm, or even rain for that matter. You relax knowing there won’t be anything to keep you up that night.

Then again you wouldn’t mind it if Chen’s with you.

No.

No.

No.

This is not okay. You shouldn’t be thinking this way. Especially when it’s clear that Chen doesn’t feel the same way in the slightest. This entire thing is just to keep girls away from him so he doesn’t have to keep rejecting them. Darn him and his stupid self expectations. Why can’t he just be a normal guy and date someone? Actually date someone instead of dragging you and your befuddled feelings out of this.

A different part of you is glad he decided to do this and “date” you rather than some other girl who doesn’t deserve him. You’re not saying you deserve him anymore, you just happen to know him unlike the girls who just want him for his good looks.

This entire situation is just a whole lot of uncertainty and uncomfortable for you.

But it’s for your best friend so you’ll put up with it.

“That’s the definition of productive. I wonder how much its spread-”

“Hi, Chen oppa, what are you doing here?” a vaguely familiar voice chirps, cutting him off. The two of you look at the girl before you. She’s the one who confessed to Chen the other day, standing barely taller than the two of you sitting down with her short pixie hair. She’s standing with an expressionless boy who looks rather uncomfortable dragged here with her.

Needless to say you’re surprised to see her here and with another boy so fast.

“Well, if you haven’t noticed I’m having a lovely date with my girlfriend here who I introduced to you the other day.” he replies draping an arm around you.

Ouch, that had to strike a nerve.

To her credit she doesn’t react beyond eyeing his arm around you a little dissatisfied, otherwise keeping up the pleasantly surprised smile plastered to her small face.

“Oh how great! I’m on a date too! We should go for a double date right now! Lay oppa and I were just going to get some dinner. The two of you should join us if you’re not doing anything else.” she suggests batting her eyes innocently.

If Chen says yes you’re “breaking up with him.”

He gives you a quick glance before smiling politely. “Sure, that sounds like fun.”

Chen’s now unofficially a single man again.

“It will be! Oh this is great! Let’s go!” she cheers grabbing Chen’s hand and pulling him off the bench. You watch disbelievingly as she tows him away, leaving you and Lay behind. You rise and reluctantly follow the out of control girl running off with your startled best friend.

“I don’t really think this is how a double date works.” you mutter trying not to let your displeasure unintentionally redirect itself to a by standing Lay.

“I wasn’t under the impression this even was a date. Soohee just said she needed a favor in the city and I obliged.” he replies apparently just as lost as you in this situation.

“How do you know Soohee?” you ask, finally finding out her name.

“I’m her tutor.”

“Are you a graduate student then?” He doesn’t look that much older than you or Chen.

“No, I’m just a dedicated T.A for the English department working for extra credit.”

Wow.

“What possessed you to agree to help her with her ‘favor’ if you’re not exactly her friend?” Seriously, you want to know.

“I have nothing better to do and I enjoy helping people, so, why not?”

“You are a good soul.”

“Thank you, my soul appreciates that.”

You smile. He’s actually a really nice guy and you feel a bad that he got dragged into this by Soohee.

She just doesn’t want to give up.

The four of you, Soohee and Chen (who keeps looking back at you for help you can’t give him) far in the lead, while you and Lay take your time way behind them, make your way to the restaurant in a matter of minutes. Finally catching up with them at the front of the restaurant to be seated you half expect Soohee to ask for two separate tables but she sticks with one table for four.

Yet, as expected she takes the seat next to Chen all while clinging to his arm like a vise.

Sitting across from him he gives you another look of distress which you return with a shrug. He brought this upon himself by agreeing to this.

“So, what’s good here?” you ask, scanning the menu uninterestedly. It’s a Chinese restaurant, oriental dishes lining the three paged menu with drinks on its flip side.

“I don’t know. Just get orange chicken or something.” Soohee snaps then instantly picks up her gushing to Chen.

You hold back a snort and let her be. Better just get this “double date” over with quickly rather than bicker or it could be a long night.

“I hope for your sake the extra credit you’re getting for putting up with her is good.” you mutter to Lay behind your menu.

He smiles, a deep dimple appearing on his right cheek. “She’s not too bad when it’s just us. Your boyfriend here is who gets her started like this.”

Your boyfriend.

“Ah, yeah, he tends to do that…” you reply not really sure what else to say.

“I commend you for putting up with it for so long.”

“Thanks, I guess?”

“Oh look here! It’s Chennie and Yixing!” Xiumin’s bubbly voice stops your conversation short, though Soohee is still chattering away like no tomorrow. He gives her an amused once over. “Looks like she didn’t get the update.”

“Hyung, what are you doing here?” Chen asks, grateful for the excuse to ignore Soohee.

“I got bored, so I stalked you guys,” he laughs at your bewildered expressions, “I’m kidding, anyway Kris ditched me so I’m here just hanging out.”

“At a busy restaurant? Do you know the owner or something?” he asks skeptical.

“Yeah, so do you, Luhan’s parents.”

You do think you’ve heard that name before, but you can’t place it to a face.

“Where is he anyway? That idiot stole all my notes two weeks ago and still hasn't given them back.” Lay (Yixing, did Xiumin say?) says rising out of his seat disgruntled.

“I don’t know. I’m hanging around waiting for him to show up.” Xiumin replies shrugging.

Disregarding his words Lay leaves prowling through the establishment for the note stealing Luhan. Rolling his eyes Xiumin takes his place and folds his hands on the table.

“So, someone want to explain to me why this one,” he nods his head at an oblivious Soohee, “is leeched onto him instead of you?”

You’d like to know the answer to that as well.