Chapter 3

Calming Storms

Something prods your shoulder and you can hear someone calling your name. Shaking them off your shoulder you ignore the voice and try to fall back asleep. The prods turn into sharp shakes, the voice closer to your ear. Seeing as whoever it is isn't going to let up you groan irritably and wave your arm to keep them away.

"Alright, alright I'm up! What is it?" you complain squinting at the blurred lines of Chen's face.

"It's Tuesday, you slept in through our exam. It's been a few days since I last saw you so; I came to check on you. Make sure you didn't disappear or die somehow." he explains, face completely serious.

You bolt upright, trying to shake off the last of your heavy sleep. "What?! Ah, this can't be happening! No, no, no! This is not good! I need to go explain to-" you pause, mouth shutting in realization. Your windows were stained black, the early rumblings of the oncoming storm booming outside.

"You were late, that's what you get." Chen says tapping your nose, scrunched in annoyance, with each enunciated syllable. You swat away him away as you stand, going to your room to gather your things for the "storm study" you'd also slept in on. Taking your time you pick out essentials for the trip, having to take this short time to prepare yourself for the inevitable storm. As you do you pause, a thought occurring to you.

"How did you even get into my apartment?" you ask poking your head out your door. Chen's taken your place on the couch, stretched out haphazardly and making the couch look even smaller.

"I picked it open with a paperclip," you roll your eyes and carry on with packing, "actually, you're just an idiot and left the door hanging open." he finishes disapprovingly

 Oh, you must have forgotten to close the door correctly, and then of course lock it. Not that anyone was going to come into your apartment to steal anything; there was nothing of value in your small home.

“Well, I’m your idiot so you’re just going to have to deal with it.” you retort. You hear him snort but he doesn’t respond. That gives you a chance to properly pack without being distracted.

"Hurry up, you're so slow! We don't want to get caught outside in this!" Chen whines ten minutes later, probably still on the couch. Normally you would've ignored him, maybe even slowed your pace. But he has a point. You really don't want to get stuck out in a storm. Not today, not ever. Doing as he says you finish packing quickly then zip up the bag. Tossing it onto your shoulders you walk out of your room, ready for the unavoidable plans. Seeing you exiting your room Chen grins from your little kitchen and holds up a few boxes of snacks.

"Pack these and we can go!" he says through a mouthful of pocky. You roll your eyes but hold out your bag to let him tuck the treats safely inside. With that settled you leave the sanctuary of your apartment, lock it tensely, and unwillingly allow Chen to pull you out into the darkening night. It’s drizzling, a persistent pitter-patter of small droplets now. That would change within an hour, according to an enthused Chen.

Great.

The trip to his flat is a short walk to the campus wide bus stop then another short ride to the entrance of the campus. Unlike you he can actually afford a flat in the city surrounding the university. Not to mention a pretty nice one at that. The view of the city-thankfully facing opposite of the university-is amazing and probably a twice the size of your tiny apartment.

It reminds you of home.

Odd but, well, you figure Chen reminds you of home. That and the entire flat looks like his room in the house you'd spent most of your childhood playing in. The dark charcoal walls trimmed with a stark white, the slight smell of musk and rain is so achingly familiar you wonder if Chen ever feels the same way.

Rain is falling harder now, relentless fat drops drenching you in minutes. Why didn't either of you bring an umbrella?! You’re close to the flat, barely a block and a half left. Chen grabs you by the wrist and starts running, pulling you stumbling behind him.

"We're almost there, just don't think of how much time it's going to take to dry off afterward." he calls over his shoulder, voice carried by the heightening wind. The two of you push into the tall building of Chen's flat, greeted by a friendly blast of warm air. Chen’s hoodie is sopping and a burden clinging to your cold skin.

"Well, aren't we just dripping with good looks?" Chen says with an exaggeratedly cheesy smile.

You roll your eyes and follow him to the elevators, pressing the top floor button, twelve, once inside.

"Chen you are such a dork. Such a dork, in fact, I really don’t understand why girls confess to you at all.” you tease nudging his side with your elbow. His smile instantly falls, pouting slightly as he scuffed the elevator's floor with his shoe.

"I don't either... It's not like I did anything to get them to even notice me, let alone confess. I just... Why can't I—ugh," he rubs his eyes with the heels of his palms, exasperated, "I'm sorry, again, about the cafe. You can just tell everyone I was just messing around or something." You should feel relieved, glad even, that he’s letting you clear up this situation to let you carry on with life (without hordes of girls plotting to ruin your "relationship"). But, you can't help feeling sympathetic toward your fed up friend.

I'm probably going to regret this...

"No, if it'll stop the confessions then I'll play along." you say, wanting to help. He snaps his head up and stares at you bewildered, disbelief plain in his features.

"A-are you sure? I can just deal with them—"

"Nope, you're not dealing with anymore Mr. Refusing-to-date-because-of-reasons. Besides, you said we were in a four year relationship. It'd be really stupid to be caught lying about that." you interrupt, holding up a hand. It’s your turn to be stubborn; prepared to argue until you he gave in. Opening and closing his mouth repeatedly Chen studies you for a moment before grinning and pulling you into a cold, wet hug.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're the best person alive! My savior! Ah, seriously, you can have a box of pocky for this." he exclaims, truly grateful. You shove him off freezing, having your drenched clothes pressed against you wasn't exactly what you found to be "thanking."

"I deserve more than a box pocky, you dork. I should get a whole basket of pocky if I'm getting pocky." you joke. Chen’s grin grows as the elevator dings open. Walking out you head to for the very end of the hall where he pulls out his small silver house key and twists the doorknob open.