Chapter 7

Calming Storms

"Are you sure this is the best way to do this?" you whisper to Chen as you enter the campus cafe. The two of you are hand in hand, the contact making your skin burn, and you're starting to feel reluctant as Chen pulls you to where two upperclassmen sit. It's a little past noon and the cozy cafe is just as crowded as yesterday (Saturdays are their busiest). The stares of your peers make you uncomfortable, Chen giving you a reassuring squeeze of his hand.

Nearing the table Xiumin gives you two a bright smile, eyes resting on your joined hands in amusement. Beside him sits a much taller, intimidating man with perfect caramel hair and sharp chestnut hued eyes. He studies the two of you indifferently with his handsome face set in a blank, apathetic half-scowl. You and Chen sit across from the pair, you purposely choosing to sit in front the friendlier squishy faced boy, and exchange greetings.

"Hey guys! It's nice to see your date went well!" Xiumin says enthusiastically with a beam to match.

"Hyung! I told you it wasn't an actual date! It was just a storm study with two friends." Chen exclaims exasperatedly.

"That's not what the hand holding looked like to me." the other upperclassman states bluntly. You and Chen both open your mouths to retort then close them.

He actually has a point...

"Alright, fine. So, it wasn't necessarily just a storm study-"

"Oh, I see what it was." he cuts in again this time with a knowing nod.

"OH!" Xiumin catches on to his friend's assumption and gives Chen a sly grin, "Chennie, I didn't know you had it in you! I'm quite surprised you'd do that before even having a girlfriend. That's pretty risqué of you underclassmen! Or are you two now a couple because you two had—"

"OH MY GOD, HYUNG, SHUT UP!" Chen's face is beet red as he gaps at Xiumin in horror, your face mirroring your friend's. "We didn't anything! Definitely not what you're thinking! I can't believe you just said all that! I'm going to strangle you, I swear!"

"Hey, hey, I was just kidding! I know you'd never do that because of your rock solid morals and self expectancy. Right, Kris?" Xiumin says holding his hands up in surrender and turning to the smirking boy beside him.

"Sure."

There's a rather awkward silence that follows, you and Chen still recovering from the "joke." That was probably the single most uncomfortable moment you've ever shared with Chen, hands down. As if deciding to be a fake couple wasn't enough already, of course someone just has to come and make your situation even more uncomfortably awkward.

"Ah, so, anyway... I'm just going to get to the reason why I called you guys here," Chen clears his throat and brings your joined hands up onto the table, "we need word to spread that we're together. We'd do it on our own by telling people ourselves but, I know you guys can get this done in half the time or less." You nod vigorously trying to be helpful. From what Chen told you, you figure Kris is some kind of social king. All rumors and university happenings are be known by him. He's where everyone goes to for information, that is, if he's willing to tell you.

Kris stares at you, your joined hands, Chen, then back at your hands. "Is this a fake relationship? If it is I'm not about to spread a lie."

How can he tell? Did the two of you just look unbelievable as a couple?

Chen shoots you a quick sideways glance then returns the calculating gaze of the upperclassman evenly with his signature easygoing grin.

"Of course not, we've been together for four years as of yesterday." he states convincingly enough even you'd believe him.

"I thought you said you were having a 'storm study with two friends' and that it wasn't a date." Kris challenges. He watches Chen for any giveaways that he's lying. It's frightening how persistently he, literally, stares down at him, eyes darkening as if he can sense the falsehood of your relationship.

To his credit Chen doesn't waver, his grin and gaze just as steady as Kris's. "Just because we're a couple doesn't mean we aren't friends. I've told you before that we've been best friends since we were kids. Besides, it was our anniversary yesterday. The entire day is basically a date in itself."

I've seriously need to give him a medal, or something, for this.

If Kris was looking at you the way he was at Chen you'd probably disintegrate on the spot. It's impressive seeing him respond so easily without as much as a pause. Chen really is the calmest guy you know.

Maybe you should get him that basket of pocky.

"Fine, I'll take that for the friendly 'storm study.' But, you still have to further convince me this is real." Kris says making you groan.

"What will convince you we're a real couple to spread that we are one so no one confesses to Chen anymore?" you ask getting annoyed with his resilience. His gaze shifts to you and you instantly regret speaking. How is he so intimidating? It's flat out unnatural. Especially while sitting next to innocently baby faced Xiumin (who you now know to not actually be that innocent), by comparison he looks like a dragon ready to burn down a village.

"Is that what this is about? Stopping confessions?" he mutters incredulously.

"Oh, come on Kris! You, of all people, should understand what that's like. Sometimes you just want it to stop and Chennie here's got a girlfriend to do that. Just be a good friend and help him out." Xiumin says prodding his arm.

Shaking him off Kris studies the two of you again with his brows furrowed. You try not to squirm under his heavy gaze, unable to look him in the eye. Chen laces his fingers through yours to give it another more comforting squeeze. It reminds you of this morning when you woke up to find his hand interlaced with yours. A faint blush flares across your cheeks remembering the flustered feeling in your chest. You turn your head to hide your face from Chen, and Kris for that matter, trying to suppress the feelings by distracting yourself.

Everything will work out just fine. Kris has to understand Chen's predicament as a victim of countless confession after confession. He has to...

After the longest minute Kris appears to have come to a decision, one you hope is in your favor.

"Maybe next time." he says with finality. Crossing his arms his face settles back into the half-scowl and Xiumin tries to reason, unsuccessfully, with him.

Chen's grip has slackened, disappointed that his plan to spread word had failed. Your thoughts processing quickly as you try to figure out how to save this opportunity.

There's only one thing that comes to mind. You're not sure if you can do it.

You look up at Chen and see he's visibly downcast by the rejection. Biting your lip you debate the thought one more time in your head, a furious blush making its way up your neck to spill across your face.

"Alright, fine, we'll prove it. Afterward you have to promise to spread word, okay?" you demand, heart rate quickening.

"Depends on your proof."

You asked for it.

Before you lose your nerve you untangle your hand from Chen's and grab the collar of his shirt. You catch a quick glimpse of his startled expression and you shut your eyes, unwilling to let him shake your burst of courage.

This is for you.

In one swift movement you pull him to you and crash your lips onto his.