Chapter 8

Calming Storms

You're not sure what but, you swear something in you changes then.

Is it the fluttering in your chest?

Is it the butterflies attacking your stomach?

Is it the sudden burning inside of you?

Is it bad you don't care?

You’re getting dizzy and your heart feels like it’s about to burst.

You don't care that you shouldn't be feeling that way.

You don't care anymore.

Is it just you or does it feel like Chen's actually kissing you back..?

Before you get too out of hand you pull away. Everything is spinning and your heart is racing, which adds to your irregular breathing. You stare at Chen's dazed expression then put on a smile for Kris.

"How's that for proof?" you say settling yourself against Chen. Understanding what you're doing he puts an arm around you and grins, bewilderment still clear in his eyes.

You're not going to lie; you're really not sure what's going on with you. Despite doing this as a facade for Kris some part of you wants this. You want word to go around that you're a couple so girls will stop bothering him. You want Kris to believe you're a couple so you know you look like a couple. You want to be by Chen's side so he'll put his arm around you. You want to be with him all the time.

You want to be a real couple.

But, that's only a small part of you. The rest of your frazzled logic intends on keeping this as professional as possible. No messy feelings. No ulterior motives. Just you helping your best friend. That's it. End of story.

Why can't it end differently?

Willing those thoughts to fade you focus on keeping your gaze steady on Kris, who's eyeing the two of you just as intently. Beside him Xiumin's mouth is slightly parted in a half-grin, his eyes dancing with amusement.

"Alright, I'll spread it." Kris announces. You suppress a sigh of relief; you didn't do this for nothing then.

Though, you'll never it admit it, you wouldn't have minded even if he didn't agree.

What's going on with you?

"Well, now that that's cleared up." Xiumin gives you both a mischievous crooked grin, "Let's spread word."

You watch in horror as he stands and takes a deep powerful breath.

"CHEN HAS A GIRLFRIEND! THEY'VE BEEN GOING STEADY FOR FOUR YEARS SO DON'T BOTHER!" he yells much louder than you thought possible for the squishy faced boy. You watch in utter embarrassment as he sits himself down with an accomplished smile, satisfied by his work.

And boy is it something.

The entire cafe is dead silent. You're sure at least half the university is crammed in here, the majority girls who stalk Chen here every week. You can literally feel the glares of every girl in the room. Each weighs on you like a thousand pounds of pure hatred.

This really isn't what you thought "spreading the word" would be.

"Alright then, thanks for your cooperation. We have a date waiting for us in the city. Have fun getting mobbed." Chen says quickly pulling you up with him. You give the upperclassman both a small bow and duck your head as Chen leads you out of the cafe.

He's enjoying this too much, holding you to his hip and walking with long, playful strides. You on the other hand are trying as discreetly as possible to hide your face, restraining yourself from burying your head into his arm.

Once outside you turn to him with a pointed glare and cross your arms. "That was the best way to do this? Really?! Xiumin oppa yelling like a freaking maniac that we're together?! Even we could've done that!" you half-shout shooting a backward glance at the cafe. There are easily ten girls crowding the table where the two information holding upperclassmen sit.

"Yeah, but, people listen to Xiumin and Kris hyung. Besides," he shoots a grin at the growing mob of girls around their table, "that's payback for yanking on my ear and Kris hyung's just fun to mess with."

"Unbelievable, you are such a dork sometimes." you say rolling your eyes.

"Yeah, but, I'm your dork so you're going to have to deal with it." he retorts tapping your nose.

Swatting him away you stick your tongue out at him. He grins back and continues leading you on, arm still around your waist. Opening your mouth to say something you think better of it and shut your mouth.

You kind of don't want him to let go.

"Where are we going anyway? You said we had a 'date' waiting for us in the city." you ask a few minutes later waiting at the campus bus stop.

"Yeah, I half lied. We are going to the city to let this situation sort itself out but, it’s not an actual date. As far as everyone is concerned we're on a date that's going to make other girls cry when they hear about it." he clarifies stepping onto the bus and taking your hand instead.

You follow him up and get more stares as the two of you sit together with your hands firmly joined.

Honestly, you're surprised by how persistently Chen is trying to sell you are a couple. You know he's always been one for affection (hence this isn't the first time you've held hands or done anything else, save for kissing) but, it's more than you're used to.

He's just trying to be convincing, that's all. He's just playing his part.

That doesn't mean it's not flustering you or doing anything to help your feelings, which are spiraling out of control.

The bus ride feels twice as long pressed against Chen’s side when you finally arrive to your stop. Hopping off the bus he continues to lead you by the hand into the city. You don't question where you're going, knowing Chen he wouldn't tell you if you asked.

The sky is painted a bright blue and the sun shines happily onto the city. It's a busy day, people bustling about enjoying the good weather on their free Saturday. The blatant sunshine is almost ridiculous to see knowing a furious storm just blew through.

"Oh hey, look at that." Chen says stopping and pointing into a store window. Running into his shoulder you rub your nose irritably. You didn't even notice where you are, honestly too distracted by Chen being a dork and holding your hand.

Mostly the latter but you’re not about to admit that.

Following his point your eyes fall upon two silver rings imbedded with a single diamond at the center of each band. Taking a closer look you realize the diamonds are actually at the center of a black lightning bolt design, engraved a few centimeters along each band.

Most of all you realize they’re couple rings.

“What about them?” you ask, hoping he isn’t seriously thinking about buying them. For one, they’re probably uselessly expensive. For two, you’re a fake couple for crying out loud. For three, you don’t think your muddled feelings could handle wearing one.

Definitely not while knowing he has the other one on.

“Don’t know, just thought I’d point them out. I mean, because I know just how much you love lightning and we’re just the greatest couple ever so, you know. Just pointing it out.” he says with an innocent smile.

“Wow, thanks. You’ve officially won my heart. Tell me how long have I been a part of this again?”

“Four years.”

“And I stayed this long why?”

The musical sound of Chen’s laugh is in your ear as he leans against you for support. Is what you said really that funny? Or is he getting some kind of seizure you’ve never seen before?

Then again, you’re not complaining about the closeness.

“Alright, calm down before you fall over and die wheezing to death.” you chide pushing him, albeit somewhat reluctantly, off of you. He wobbles then balances himself with a red faced, goofy grin.

“I have no idea why that was so funny but it was and my day has officially been made.” he chokes out. You roll your eyes.

“You’re such a dork it’s painful sometimes.”

“But I’m your dork.”

“I know.”

If only he knew how much you want that to be true.