Chapter 18

Calming Storms

Listening to Chen sing is like listening to the rain fall. It’s a pure sound, natural, pleasant. No one can hate it. Even if you wanted to there’s an undeniable pull he has on you that just brings you back. It’s hypnotic. It’s entrancing.

It’s yours.

For years upon years he’s been singing to you, only you, with that wonderful voice. A voice you’ve come to cherish and love. A voice you wish no one else could hear. Okay, now you’re being a little childish. Chen can do what he wants, it's his voice. Although if he decides to become a singer you’re going to throw a fit until he decides against it. Then again you don't necessarily need to worry about.

However, he's making it hard to think otherwise with his captivating stage presence.

Since finding your eyes his gaze hasn’t wavered, not even to glance at the piano. His fingers are rehearsed with memorized movements, there’s no need to look at its ivory keys. In this way it still feels like he’s singing to you rather than to a crowd of strangers. He’s singing the same way he comforts you during a storm. Almost as if he's cradling you in his arms promising to never let you get lost in the sounds of the howling wind and pounding rain. You can’t help yourself but feel possessive, immature as it may be. You figure you are a couple after all-the weight on your finger doesn’t let you forget it-so no one will question your behavior. Even Chen won't—can't lest he ruin your facade of a love-struck couple.

Of course it’s no longer a facade for you.

As his song comes to an end the restaurant erupts in rambunctious applause, their clapping thunderous from all corners of the establishment. You clap with them, just as enthusiastically with a bright smile. You can’t help yourself from smiling like an idiot, your lips refuse to relax and your cheeks hurt with just how much you smile. Not that you care, it’s a good kind of hurt.

It’s because of Chen. Of course it’s a good kind of hurt.

Chen keeps his eyes trained on you, even as he bows repeatedly with an unwavering smile of his own. He looks brilliant, smile radiant, entire being bursting with excited energy. It makes you smile even more. You feel like a proud parent after their child’s talent show performance. You laugh to yourself, sound lost in the undying cheers of the restaurant. Chen’s never going to hear the end of this.

As he walks off the stage and back to your table he gets many claps on the back, pats on the shoulder, and handshakes of appreciative praise. It must be overwhelming for him, never having sung to a crowd (a full house at that) and receive the best response possible in the form of total strangers commending him like an idol would be. Another unheard laugh escapes you. Chen would make a great idol; he definitely has the personality and talent for it.

Though if you’ll let him is an entirely different story. You’re not about to let the boy you love run off and leave you behind for the busy life or mobbed anymore by girls than the ridiculous hordes that already do.

Not to mention you’d miss him. There'd be a painful hole in your heart if he left for months, maybe even years on end. Chen's your best friend too; you'd miss just being stupid with him.

You can't be an idiot without your dork.

Finally making it back to your table Chen collapses back in the chair by your side with a mystified sigh. You grin seeing his thousand-watt smile, the lights dancing in his eyes, how he can’t sit still filled with the rush of performance. It’s endearing really, how excited he gets about anything. He’s like a kid.

Which reminds you...

“Good job son, I’m sure you won first place in the talent show!” you coo pinching his cheek. The expression he makes is priceless, one cheek pulled as far as his skin allows while the rest of his face contorts into a mock offended look of incredulity.

“How dare you belittle me in the midst of my fan’s cheers? Honestly, I’m hurt that you’d degrade my performance for you into a child’s showcase.” he retorts with a half-pout. Your heart stutters, joke forgotten and long lost.

My performance for you.

That was for you?

He said it himself, it was for you.

It was for you.

Does that mean that song, that girl he wrote it for, the one he sees himself marrying, is for you..?

“W-what..?” you stammer intelligently. You can hear your heartbeat in your ears, quickening, skipping. You half-hope he doesn't respond to shoot your theory down to allow you to cling to that sliver of hope. At the same time you hope he does, in fact you need him to. If he doesn't clarify what he means you might do something you regret-like kiss him.

"What do you mean what? I did that for your bubble tea, remember?" he replies replacing his pout for a grin, "Why? Were you just so mesmerized by my singing you forgot why I even went up? Were you star-struck? Did you imagine coming up on stage with me so I could serenade you in front of all these people like the fangirl you are? Was I just—"

You punch his arm with a roll of your eyes.

"For a dork you're really full of yourself, you know that?"

Chen shrugs while rubbing his arm.

"Hey, I can't help being the stud I am." he sing-songs grabbing a glass of water. As he takes a sip you tip his glass and startle him enough to dump half its contents on himself.

You burst into laughter, Chen jumping out of his chair and flailing.

"What did I ever do to deserve this?!" he complains shaking himself off.

"You got cocky. By the way, it's not a very appealing flaw. I'm surprised I even stayed around this long." you retort smiling innocently. He narrows his eyes and grins mischievously.

"I'm so sorry, please forgive me! I am nothing but a humble boyfriend trying to do right by his girl!" he exclaims throwing his arms around you. Shouting and laughing you try to pry him off you, your earlier stunt coming back to wet you as well.

"Aw, you two are cute. Underclassmen are so adorable, huh, Baozi?" Luhan says much louder than necessary. Unlike you Chen doesn't jump, keeping his arms firmly around you as your cheeks redden.

"You better acknowledge our painful cuteness! Getting jealous, hyung?" Chen chirps snuggling into your side.

Okay, wow, when did he get so clingy?

You don't think you can handle this for much longer, especially with Xiumin and Luhan snickering like they are.

"Naturally, my ego’s been crush. On a different note, here's your bubble tea as I promised to bring you." Luhan announces sliding the pearl drink in front of you.

"Chen, get off me or I will give my ring to Soohee." you threaten as menacingly as possible.

"Holy crap, what is it about that drink that makes you some kind of madwoman?! Hyung, what the heck is in that thing?!" Chen half-shouts releasing you the instant your words register. Grabbing greedily for your colorful addiction you ignore him and happily sip away.

"Getting jealous of a drink, Mr. Skinship?" Luhan counters with a satisfied grin, Xiumin laughing beside him.

You giggle around the pearls in your mouth.

This is the kind of moment you want to stay in forever, with your friends and being dumb.

Dinner's going to be fun.