Chapter 12

Calming Storms

“Hey, guess what Friday is.” Chen says leaning over the couch with a playful grin. You’re hanging around your apartment, originally meaning to do homework but regressed into lazing around the apartment eating boxes of pocky.

“The day you propose?” you joke. He rolls his eyes and continues.

“Our two week anniversary!” he announces throwing his arms up in a celebratory fashion. You swallow pocky down your windpipe. Coughing up the misguided pieces of your snack you stare at him disbelievingly.

“Are you,"—cough—"freaking,"—cough—"serious?” you choke out, hitting your chest to dislodge the persistent pocky.

“Yeah, I am. I’m just saying we decided two weeks ago on that Friday that we were going to be a fake couple. What did you think I meant by that?” he asks simply.

Maybe the pocky will just suffocate you and you won’t have to answer that.

“Idiot, anyway, you’re turning blue.”

“Help,"—cough—"me, dork!”

***

After yesterday’s pocky episode, which Chen spent way too long entertaining Xiumin and Luhan with, you actually find yourself thinking about what Chen said.

Your two week “anniversary” is tomorrow. Half of you wants to ignore it seeing as you’re not a real couple and there is no two week anniversary. The other half wants to do something special for it despite it not being an actual anniversary of any kind. Regardless of being an actual couple or not you still enjoyed the time spent with him as one.

Besides, he’s your best friend, it’s not like there’s a reason you can’t do anything. He’ll just think of it as a joke, which is fine by you.

Now, what to do…

***

It’s raining.

Here you are at the end on a Friday without even a gray cloud in the sky prior to today, expecting a storm free week, running through the rain to get to class.

Great.

Just fantastic.

Literally slipping into class, a few classmates who saw your less than graceful bout snickering, you slide into the seat next to Chen and promptly lean on him.

“You’re getting me wet, get off.” he complains pushing you off.

“Stop being a girl, you’re supposed to be the man in this relationship.” you retort, another round of snickers following. People are still being nosy, nearly all your conversations with Chen in earshot of another student on campus eavesdropped on.

“Says the one wearing a man’s sweatshirt.”

“First off, it’s your sweatshirt. Second, you’re supposed to tell me I’m pretty no matter what.” Cue more stifled laughs in your favor.

“You’re so, so, so pretty. Now get off.”

“Tell me a joke first.”

“I love you.”

“Rude.”

“You asked for it.”

“Fine, I’ll just lean on you till you love me then.” You wrap your arms around him and trap his arms to his sides as emphasis.

“I take it back, I’m sorry! Get off!” You simply hold on tighter as he tries to squirm out of your wet embrace. “Yah! I need to take notes! Stop it!”

“You have to make it up to me for your joke first.”

“Fine what do you want me to do?”

“Meet me at the front of the school an hour after class.”

“Why—”

“Ah, ah, do you want me to let go or not?”

“Fine.”

“Good Chen.”

The rest of class goes by with a half-wet Chen muttering to himself as you smile amusedly to yourself.

***

There’s a reason why Chen calls you an idiot.

You stand under the partial awning of the front gate of your school shivering, very conscious of the darkening rainclouds, as you wait for Chen to show up.

Why did I say to meet me here?! Ugh, this better be worth it…

You really hope the little box, which you tucked as safely away from the rain as you can, isn’t ruined by the time he gets here. It’s nothing big, just a little cake you made. Decorated with pocky (like the dork likes it), it says “Happy Two Weeks!” (no space for anniversary) in careful icing. There’s also a card tucked under it you’re more concerned about.

Let’s just say you put some effort into it.

“Okay, you’ve officially reached a new level of idiocy I can’t even comprehend.” Chen admonishes behind you. Startled you whip around, getting a bemused look from your hooded friend. “By the way I still want my hoodie back.”

“You’ll get it back sometime never. Anyway, happy anniversary!” you exclaim with playful merriment. ing the small box into his confused hands you give him stick your tongue out at him. “You’re the one who made a big deal about it so, here you go!”

“Wow, I’m not sure what to say.” he says laughing highly entertained by the bow topped box he studies under the cover of the short awning.

“Then don’t say anything. Just appreciate how great of a girlfriend I’d actually be and how great of a best friend I actually am.” you jest with an overly sweet smile and exaggerated batting of your eyes, adding to the innocent face.

“I’ll make sure to keep that in mind when I give you your anniversary present.” he replies with a mischievous grin.

You blink.

“Are you freaking kidding me? You seriously got something? Have I ever told you how much of a dork you are?”

“Nope, not once. Now come on! Your present’s at my apartment! Let’s go on an adventure!” he declares looping his arm through yours after carefully tucking the box into his backpack (“Don’t look at me like that, I won’t crush it! I’ll protect its cube integrity with my life!”). Leading you through the rain and grayed city Chen speaks idly about the physical and chemical reactions going on in the storm clouds.

Storm dork.

Either habitually or out of sheer boredom you listen to his words. It does distract you from the darkening clouds he speaks of leering above you. In the back of your mind you hope the storm doesn’t decide to start while it’s still daytime.

 Or while you’re still outside to get caught in the middle of it.

“—and that’s why this is happening right now.” Chen concludes with self-satisfied grin.

“Yeah, when do you think it’s going to actually start the whole lightning-thunder storm part?” you ask eyeing the sky warily now that nothing is distracting you.

“Oh, I don’t know. Looks like any second, probably more like an hour or so, of a few minutes. I can’t tell.” he says switching his opinion though you know he has a good estimate in mind. Giving him a shove you pull your arm away from him and feign offense.

“How can you mess with me like this? What kind of boyfriend are you? You should be comforting your poor storm-a-phobic girlfriend!” you accuse with an overdramatic clutch over your heart.

“Would you rather I told you another joke to distract you?” he suggests in an equally joking manner.

“Why can’t you ever just be a good pretend boyfriend?”

“Because you’re an idiot and I physically cannot bring it upon myself to put up with you as such.”

“You’re just all kinds of rude lately, now aren’t you?”

“That’s what I’m here for.”

“And what I’m stuck with.”

“For infinity and beyond!”

“Dork.”

“Idiot.”

As per usual that’s where your lighthearted conversation comes to an end, stupid grins plastered to your faces. Speaking of things plastered to your face, your hair is literally all over it, even with your (Chen’s) hood drawn (though it does little good, the wind knocking it off every few steps). The wind’s speed is ever-increasing while the rain becomes stinging projectiles pelting your face.

“Ah, we should probably hurry, don’t want to actually get caught outside in this storm.” he says glancing up at the sky with his brows furrowed. Nodding the two of you pick up your pace and duck your heads against the pounding rain.

“Remind me again why we couldn’t have taken a bus or hitch hiked?” you shout, voice half lost in the howling wind.

“Because we’re stupid!”

“Sounds about right.”

“Anyway, we’re almost there so stop—”

Crack.