Chapter 17

Calming Storms

Time flies when you’re in love.

There, you said it.

You’re in love.

It’s been at least two months now and you can’t deny your feelings any longer.

You.

Love.

Chen.

Your best friend and dork. The only person who’s been with you for as long as you can remember through all the good times and comforted you through all the bad. The boy who’s been by your side no matter what. The boy who knows you better than yourself. The boy who refuses to date anyone unless he’s willing to marry them.

His standards are impossible.

You’re in a fake relationship to ward those unworthy girls off. The two of you wear matching bands around your fingers to solidify the facade. It hurts knowing this has become all too real for you while he just plays his part in an act. It hurts knowing you aren’t good enough for him.

It hurts.

But, you’ll never express your pain. No matter how hard withholding your emotions are you won’t say anything. You can’t. Do that and you ruin the friendship you have. No, your feelings aren’t worth the awkward and uncomfortable state confessing will leave you two in.

Nothing is worth ruining your friendship.

Even if that’s all you’re meant to be, best friends and nothing more, you’ll still be happy.

Besides, he’s your dork.

You’re his idiot.

If that’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for you.

***

“Hey, you know what’d be fun?” Chen muses sitting upside down with his head hanging and legs thrown over the back of the library comforter he sits in. You should be studying but, as per usual whenever you two try to do anything academic you digress into a mess of stupid ideas to defeat your boredom.

“First of all, sit correctly in your chair or you’re going to fall over and die. Second, we really need to study. Third, what is it because I can’t take sitting here anymore.” you reply throwing your pen down exasperated.

“No, I sit how I want because I'm a man. Anyway, you know how Luhan’s parents’ restaurant was closed for renovations for a while?” You nod, the restaurant you frequented, with Xiumin and Luhan of course, had been closed for at least two weeks now and you have a horrible craving for their bubble tea. “Well, they’re reopening today and they fixed the place up so they have an open mike night going on every night.”

“Really, let’s go! I demand we go now! I want bubble tea!” you exclaim bouncing in your seat excitedly. The second part of his explanation went right over your head, your mind clinging to the words that will finally free of your unhealthy craving need for tea.

“Okay, wow, jeez, calm down. I guess that’s a yes.” he raises his arm and studies his watch for a moment. In turn you unconsciously stare at the silver and black ring around his finger, slowly turning yours on your own. It’s a habit you accumulated the longer you wore the slim band, often just so you had something to occupy your hands with. “It’s only four. We should head over at about six.”

“Are you being serious? I don’t want to wait two hours.” you complain hitting your head against the desk in distress. You hear Chen chuckle behind you as his chair hisses replenishing its plumpness. Kneeling beside you he pokes your cheek, squishing it as deep as your skin will allow.

“What.” you mutter, partially biting the inside you of your cheek as you do.

“Just thought you should know it’s actually six right now.”

You lift your head and give him a murderous glare.

“I hate you.”

“Love you too idiot.”

***

“Chennie, you made it!” Xiumin calls from across the restaurant and turning startled heads with his unfailing loud voice. As expected the restaurant is packed, people lined up along the entrance wall and trailing outside. You thank your lucky stars you’re painfully close with the owners’ son and make your way to where his sandy head of hair peeks above most others’ at the other end of the room. Maneuvering around busy tables and cramped walkways Chen leads you, index finger hooked around yours (something he started doing out of nowhere about a month ago deciding to be that “different” couple, which you already are), through the chaos and to your friends.

“Look you survived!” Luhan chirps around his straw while happily chewing on the gummy pearls you’ve missed so much.

“I won’t much longer if you don’t get me some tea now.” you state completely serious as you plop into the open seat beside him. Situating himself on your other side you notice Chen still has his finger looped around yours. You don’t mind but you always overanalyze the action.

It’s for Xiumin and Luhan. It’s just a show, nothing else.

“So, who’s ready to be the first for open mike night?” Luhan asks, grinning at the three of you. Well, Chen and Xiumin at least. You have no talents worthy of going up on stage and performing in front of a full house of strangers. Chen on the other hand…

“Chen, you should go up and sing.” you say, nudging his side with your elbow.

“Oh no, that’s more of a hobby. If anyone should go up and sing it should be Luhan and Xiumin hyung, they’re amazing.” he replies pointing at the other two boys. The older boys ignore him, animatedly talking about something irrelevant with the over usage of “Chen” half-shouted more often than not.

“You guys are ridiculous. Oh, I know,” he grins and settles his cheek against his hand, elbow balancing on the table, “How about you two go up first,”—he points at his elders then the stage—“and I stay here and watch you.” he concludes with a final point to him and the table.

“Aw, come on! Do it for your girlfriend! If you do I’ll give you free bubble tea for life.” Luhan says catching your attention.

“Do it. Chen, I’m being one hundred percent serious, if you do not go up there and sing for free tea I’m breaking up with you and keeping the ring.” you threaten with the utmost seriousness. Free bubble tea for life would make existing so much nicer.

“Ah, hey, let’s not get rash!” he exclaims holding his hands up.

“You heard her Chennie, get to singing or you’ll be a single man!” Xiumin sing-songs highly entertained.

“Why me though?” Chen complains with a childish shake of his shoulders. You grin, he never changes, once a kid always a kid.

“Because you’re singing is amazing and it’ll be good for business.” Luhan clarifies with a dutiful nod.

“Driven by money much?”

“I do what I want.”

“What do I even sing?”

“Oh, so you’re doing it!”

“I’m not talking to you anymore.”

“What about the song you sing to me?” you suggest. After realizing how you’d phrased the suggestion you blush lightly avoiding the other boys’ eyes.

“Oh! We haven’t heard this song before! You should sing it. Do it.” Xiumin demands, a fist brought down on the table to emphasize his point.

“It’s not really a song though. It’s just something I wrote up—”

“You wrote that song?” you ask taken aback. You’d always assumed the song was just one you’d never heard, never being able to look it up because you didn’t know the title. It’s such a lovely song though and to think you didn’t know your best friend had written it.

Now what you want to know is for whom.

“All the more reason you should perform it! There’s a piano up there too! Go Chennie go! Show these people why you’re not single!” Xiumin declares pulling a protesting Chen away. His complaints blend into the hum of the restaurant the further they get. Left with Luhan you give him a sweet smile.

“So, do I get free bubble tea now?”

He looks up from his own tall cup of the desired drink with a mouth full of pearls.

“As soon as he’s done I’ll personally get you your first one.” he says after swallowing.

You beam and redirect your attention to the stage where Xiumin drags your reluctant friend to the piano. The display has caught the attention of the majority of the establishment; even employees eye the pair on stage with curious interest. Seating Chen with a pat on the head on the piano bench Xiumin flits to the mike with a hearty grin.

“Hello and welcome to the Little Deer! As you can see we’ve finally added this great stage for open mike! Now, without further ado here’s a good friend of mine, Chen! He’ll be singing and playing a song he wrote himself. Pretty talented kid huh?” Xiumin announces the restaurant quieting. As he sets up the mike for Chen you notice that despite his unwillingness Chen doesn’t appear to be nervous. Rather he looks very comfortable, stage presence very natural for him.

Well, you don’t call him the calmest guy you know for nothing.

Once the mike is situated Xiumin hops off the stage and hurries back to your table while Chen eases up to it to speak.

“So, I’m Chen and I’ll be singing a song called ‘Into Your World’ that I wrote for fun. It’s nothing fancy so don’t be expecting too much. I did have someone in mind while writing it though. She’s the kind of girl I see myself marrying, hopefully I will.” a few aws travel around the room and he laughs embarrassed, “Anyway, I hope you enjoy my song.” he says with a smile.

The lights dim and the room is left with anticipation in hanging in the air. With practiced hands Chen’s fingers dance gracefully across the ivory keys. The notes ring pleasantly around the room, an entrancing sound that only deepens with the emotion he plays with.

The moment he starts singing a different silence falls in the audience. A silence of awe and touched hearts that listen to the moving lyrics sung by such a powerful voice overcomes the audience.

“If we were to walk like this together anywhere would be heaven.”

He chooses that very line to look at you with his familiar radiant smile and bright eyes.

You don’t think you’ll ever forget this moment.

You hope he doesn’t either.

This song is for you.

You’re certain.

Maybe he loves me too.