Chapter 2

Calming Storms

You bring your drink back up to your lips and take a long sip to process his offer. There isn't really a way out of it, seeing as he has a point and you have no plans. There’s no reason for you not to go. In Chen's mind, that is. As for you... You could go without Chen figuring out about you fear of storms.

Ideally, he never will.

"Well? Come on! It'll be the most fun you've had all week! Plus, I can show you why they're so great!" he whines tugging your-technically his-sleeve incessantly.

"I don't think... Ah, what I mean, uh, well... I just..." you trail off, unable to come up with a feasible excuse. Chen shakes his head disapprovingly at your lack of one.

"See, you've got nothing. So, my place at, say, eighteen-hundred hours?" he questions grinning knowing you had no idea what time that is.

"Chen, you know I hate it when you use military time!" you complain uselessly. He isn't about to tell to what time that is no matter what you said.

"Alright, make sure to bring your things, oh, and snacks! I'll see you then!" with that he jumps out of his seat to exit the cafe with his latte and a cheeky grin. Before he can reach the door a short girl with inky black hair stops him. Her hands behind her back and her cheeks are tinted pink, shuffling nervously as she stands before him. Leaning over your table you smile to yourself knowing exactly what’s going to happen: a big slap of karma in Chen's face.

Moving to a closer table you discreetly watch the confession and silently commend the girl for her timing. The girl fidgets with her hands behind her back and rocks on her feet while muttering into her scarf. Chen's lips press into an uncomfortable line, realizing the girl's intent. He opens his mouth trying to speak, only to get cut off by her sudden burst of courage.

"I really, really like you, Chen oppa! Will you... Go out with me..?" she nervously shouts, words blurring together as she holds out a box of chocolates, an unnecessarily gaudy bow smack in the center. Chen's discomfort only becomes more prominent, a small step back taken to distance himself. You wait for him to start rambling about something unimportant when he catches your eye. You stick your tongue out at him and smile in smug satisfaction. Something in his demeanor changes though, his stance suddenly more relaxed and comfortable.

"Sorry," he starts, the girl's face crumpling, "but, I've already got a date tonight."

What? Oh, no he didn't just-

"A date? With-with who?" the infatuatedly heartbroken girl asks, bottom lip quivering.

No, don't look at me. Don't do anything to drag me into this. Don’t. You. Dare.

Sure enough Chen turns to you with his signature smile, eyes dancing with mischief as he approaches you. "Her." he states simply putting his hands on your shoulders firmly.

As soon as the two of you are outside you were going to punch him as hard as physically possible.

"I knew it!" the girl half-shouts accusingly.

You stare at her incredulously, even Chen’s grip on you jumping at the claim. "Knew what?"

What is there to know?

"I knew it, the reason you kept rejecting me-and everyone else-it was because of her! How long have you been together?" she demands, voice steadily rising. By this point half the cafe is watching your conversation, a few other girls murmuring to one another in the same boat as this one.

"Together?! What-what..? Alright, what exactly—"

"It's been a while now. I'd say at least two, maybe even three years? I mean, since our third year in high school so, four." Chen cuts in with a steady grin.

That's it. You are going to kick him in the teeth until they get lodged down his throat.

You take a quick glance around the cafe. To your dismay it's packed (it is a Friday after all). There are quite a few girls you recognize as previous confessors, their expressions mirroring the look of utter mortification on the current confessor's face. You could feel stares on you from all around the cafe, probably all those girls, and you shift uncomfortably.

"I-is that true..?" the girl asks shakily, box of chocolates crushed in her trembling hands.
Ready to deny it you make to respond when Chen covers your mouth, just as ready to stop you.

"Yes, it is. She's just a bit shy about it but, our anniversary is today and we'd like to spend it alone. Bye now." Before anyone else could respond he hoists you up and locks his arm around your waist. Keeping you close to him he leads you out the cafe from the disbelieving group of your peers, considerate enough to have grabbed your half-finished latte in his other hand. Yet, not considerate enough to keep you out of this mess all while refusing to let go of you, despite your protests.

Once far enough away from the cafe he releases his grip on you and expels an amused laugh. "Well, that was fun wasn't it?" he says handing you your latte. You ignore the drink and eye him incredulously.

"F-fun? Fun?! That was fun?! Chen, you just said we were in a four year relationship! In front of those girls that confessed to you! Four! Don't you get what that means for you? And now me?" you sputter furiously, still trying to process what he just did.

His grin is replaced by an expression of realization, then apology. "Oh, no... You're going to get hassled, aren't you? Ah, I'm sorry! I just thought this was the only way to get them to stop! I didn't want to deal with confessions anymore! I'm sorry!" he explains guiltily, your latte now clutched tightly in his hands.

"If you wanted the confessions to stop why didn't you just—"

"Chen! Chen! Did you forget about our study group?" a boy shouts not too far back. You give Chen one more pointed glare, getting an apologetic shrug back, then study the newcomer to see if you recognize him. He doesn't look like a university student, heck he doesn't even look like a high school student. You do recognize him as one of Chen's other friends though, a round baby faced boy named Xiumin, if you recall correctly.

Rushing up to the two of you he gives you a quick friendly smile before grabbing Chen by the ear. "Yah, what the heck are you doing wandering around? We were supposed to start ten minutes ago! You do have your notes though, don't you?" he scolds, tugging on his ear roughly.

"Ah, ah, ah stop! Hyung, I'm sorry! I've got my notes, now get off!" he complains trying to pry his hyung’s hold off him.

Oh, that's right; Xiumin is older than us...

The fact seems to slip your mind every time you see him, which isn't your fault. Seriously, the guy doesn't even remotely look university age whatsoever, at all. You’re sure others did the same around the squishy faced boy.

"Good, now come on, the others are waiting!" Xiumin says replacing Chen's ear for his sleeve, "It's nice seeing you again, by the way! I promise he won't be long, we'll get him back to you before your date, promise!" he adds grinning teasingly at you as he pulls your friend away.

"Ah, hyung! It's not really a date, just a storm study with friends! Don't listen to him! I'll see you at six, don't be late!" Chen calls hurriedly as his study mate drags him to the rest of the awaiting group.

"Have fun, you dork! Nice seeing you again too, Xiumin-oppa!" you reply, nearly forgetting to call Xiumin, your elder, "oppa." Waving at their retreating figures you roll your eyes at the odd pair and start making your way home. It’s an uneventful five minute walk, which leaves another two hours and forty-three minutes until you have to subject yourself to a storm at Chen's place.

Wonderful.

You could spend that time to mentally prepare yourself...or sleep. Sleep sounds really nice actually.

Pushing into your apartment you shut the door behind you and throw your things on the kitchen counter. Wandering to your couch, too lazy to go into your bedroom a mere ten feet away, you curl up on the small piece of plush furniture and close your eyes. You immediately drift off into a thick, exhausted sleep.