Rooms

In the Concubine's Quarters

 

 

Wufan looked at the ball bearings sitting on his table and counted the time of the day. It was another invention brother YiXing had created and the only model he made – too busy to make more replicas and the others whinged why it was Wufan who got the cool ‘gizmo’. Last time he checked, there were 4 ball bearings, now, there were 6. Two minutes had passed, but it felt like a century. Xiumin sat next to him, busy talking with the visitors from the West. His plump cheeks puffed up even more as he smiled and gestured for the maids to bring more tea and desert cakes.

“We love the capital”, the one wearing what looked to be linen wrapping and fabric over his head, spoke with a heavy accent. “We travelled through the deserts and imagine our surprise at finding such a sophisticated government.” The man next to him, most likely an accomplice, nodded in approval.

 

“Why, thank you friends. The nation of Shin-Min is glad to be of service to you. You are always welcome.” Xiumin grinned; he then looked over to his brother and nudged him softly.

“Yes, yes. Brother Xiumin is quite right.” Speaking in perfect foreign tongue, Wufan straightened his posture. “I hear that you are trying to form this alliance in the hopes of creating trade routes? Where is it that you’re from? Italy?”

The man who spoke first’s eyes lit up. “Oh! You speak very well!” he smiled and the other, once again nodded. Not needing to speak in Chinese anymore, the second man intervened and began, “Yes, we are trying to create a trail through which our nations can trade and promote business. The Silk Road, we call it.”

“Ingenious.” He smiled and this time, it was Xiumin that nodded.

 

“So how did it go?” Tao flexed his wrist and removed his armour, placing his gloves on the table.

 

Wufan shrugged whilst Xiumin laughed. “Brother Kris conversed with them very well.” He looked to his brother, “as usual.”

The three princes were in one of the many study rooms, large enough to house a hundred people, filled with shelves of books, paintings hung casually along the walls. Wufan was sitting at the main table, whilst Xiumin was at the low table on the floor with Tao who was standing. He flicked his abacus with expertise and counted up the taxes he had received.

Xiumin looked to the youngest, “how did training go?”

Tao grimaced. “All wimps. Still trying to whip them into shape. The horses were brilliant though. Though a guy fell off; he was too rowdy and scared the beast to canter off.” Tao took off his plate and stretched his shoulders. “They also can’t shoot, we’ll need more arrows next season because they keep missing at target. How is this army supposed to even fight if they can’t hold a bow, let alone a sword?”

Xiumin laughed, “keep working at it brother.” He stood up and slapped Tao on the back, then walked over to the shelf and searched around, finally pulling out a large map. “I’d better be working too. Thanks to Kris today, I have my work cut out for me. The trade will bring much to our city.” Xiumin grabbed the various scrolls and was on his way out of the room, when Tao asked, “anyone seen brother Lay?”

Xiumin shook his head, and without looking up from tallying his numbers, Wufan muttered, “probably out looking at fish like last time.”

 

 

With his fan in hand, Lay was walking along the cobblestone bridge which was to be his next endeavour. He found, instead of rebuilding, he could simply split the bridge in two, where one side walked into the city whilst the other went in the opposite direction, then the people wouldn’t be congested. He stood at the apex of where the bridge arched and then looked into the murky water.

There was much improvement with the water systems but the river was still polluted from the debris of city life. He waved his fan a few times with a flick of his wrist and made his way back to the city. He hated being cooped up in the palace, he needed to be free. It was late-afternoon and the people were all bustling home. The red-light district would be open soon and the underground would come to life. Those sort of affairs always fascinated Lay but he was prudent enough to steer clear of it. Strolling home, he wondered what the cook had made for dinner.

 

 

“Ladies, you are the lucky 10 to have been selected out of hundreds to be part of the royal harem.” A eunuch, the same flustered one that had been standing at the door held his scroll and brush with an air of tired contempt.

“The protocol is such that you will not be introduced to the princes until they request your presence in two days’ time. Until then, you are not allowed to leave your quarters and will be dressed and made-up to the utmost perfection. Now, the royal court does not want any commotion among you, do not fight, do not hold jealousies and if I hear of any unruly behaviour, I will kick you out without hesitation. You might as well treat each other as sisters or this life, in the courts will suffocate you to no end. Do I make myself clear?” He his stern face was contorted to an expression of disgust.

The girls chorused, “Yes m’lord.” Even though he was a mere eunuch, he had to be referred as a Lord; the hierarchy placed the women of the harem on the same level as courtesans, higher than maids but lower than court officials such as this eunuch and everyone was to be treated with respect.

Suddenly, a maid appeared at the door, she bowed once and announced the entrance of Jun-fei, the head concubine, the same lady that had inspected the applicants in the first round. She strode into the room with her following of maids in arrogance.

“Ahh, madam.” The eunuch bowed low, “I am humbled by your presence.”

 

Without even acknowledging him, she scanned the room tiredly. “What a fine group we have here.” She breathed.

“Thank you madam.” The girls chorused again and you bowed just as they did. Her presence genuinely ran shivers down your spine, she was a cold beauty but had eyes like a fox, cunning and sly.

“I hope you exact your roles with grace.” She walked up to one girl and began to her hair. The poor girl didn’t dare look up. “Being part of the harem is difficult, because all you’re given is false affection.” She dropped the strand of hair and looked to somewhere non-existent, “but you learn to get over it pretty soon.”

“Enjoy this life girls.” She sighed, the eunuch was stuttering in a corner, either too stunned to talk properly or just having difficulty in getting his words out. She her heels and the maids flustered over her the train of her robe, and without another look, left the room. It was only you that heard her mutter, “The only hell on earth,” under her breath and you bit your lip.

“Well…” it was obvious that this man was easily flustered. He regained himself and then asked one of the maids to guide the girls to their room. Dinner was to be brought to them in their room and he warned again, “no rowdy behaviour and do not, I repeat, do not, leave the room.”

 

 

 

Hey hope you enjoyed. I just have a question. I was wondering if you guys liked it when I put in the pictures or if it is annoying when you read. Please tell me so I know for the next chapter~ <3 Love you lots~ :D