Vigil

In the Concubine's Quarters

 

 

After the event, things died down a little; the girls returned to their routines of getting by just in the chambers. It was a firm warning that the girls best not stray too far from their quarters or else it would tarnish their ‘reputations’. To this, you didn’t understand how leaving the place could ruin yourself in the eyes of the rest of the court but maybe they considered loitering or even strolling of high treason. Ridiculous. Nonetheless, they still preserved a little humanity in permitting the girls to enjoy the fresh air in the garden that was adjacent to the chambers. It wasn’t much, but was bordered by the massive wall that encased the entire palace. Camellias grew and there was also a small pond but you were more excited about the wall; at night you guessed you could scale it in a jump and assume your adventures easily from there. The girls sometimes sighed into their dappling reflections and hoped to see the outside world again, wishing that they had appreciated freedom more when they had it. Otherwise, most of the time, they busied themselves with sewing or flower arranging. Sometimes they’d try and draw a little, other times they’d just chat to each other and gossip till the day was through. It was a bland life but a comfortable one at that – when you had nothing to do, you’d read but not many of the girls were literate. 

Telling you that there were boundaries that you weren’t allowed to cross was like telling a fish not to swim. You had every intention of defying this command, whether it meant re-enacting what happened on the first night or not. But this time you’d be more careful of course. You now knew though that avoiding the youngest Prince and the one called YiXing was better for you prospects – you certainly didn’t want them finding out any unnecessary information about you, both encounters were such close calls. Just like this, living like a shadow you could get by and complete what you had set out to finish. A shadow that was present but unnoticed, that left no trace of ever existing and disappeared into the dark, died into the night.

The maid didn’t come back till a few days later. It was difficult to distinguish her from the rest of the crowd. All the servers in the palace were dressed plainly and treated like air most of the time that they blended into the environment – the perfect shadows; but you learnt her look, the sharp slant of her eyes and the pleasant pout of her lips which separated her from the rest of the workers. She refused to give you her name which only made things more difficult but it was better this way – in case someone of authority found out, she would have no identity to be caught.

“I just don’t understand what Qi-yan sees in you?” The two of you were out in the garden, the courtyard facing the camellias. You tried to keep the smile on your face from shifting as you were the one facing the other girls in the garden who were feeding the fish. The maid had her back to them and was rattling off the quality traits you possessed that she found… ‘unprofessional’. Through gritted teeth you smiled and slapped her on the arm, “oh you’re such a laugh.” She didn’t even flinch before she lowered her voice and leant in closer.

“Okay, okay – I called you out today because I was supposed to steal the maps of the palace and give them to you but I couldn’t because Prince Wufan who has the maps keeps a tight vigil of his room. He never leaves the damned place.” Her husky voice tightened on her last sentence.

You thought, Prince Wufan – that one with the piercing stare and an expression like he was royally pissed off at everything.

The maid continued, “it’s because, I heard, they’re establishing a new venture in trade and so the maps are kept on a tight leash. But the one you’re supposed to find is the one that details the entirety of this complex – the imperial palace.” She spoke faster now, as if running out of time.

“The Imperial Palace,” you echoed in awe at how grand it sounded. She hushed you, “Yes, I’ve been working here for a while now and I still don’t know my way around. Crimson Lotus has always been given reigning access to the place but as you know these years haven’t proved favourable for us. So even though I can’t do it, you must take over and steal it yourself. Or at least render it to memory. For you to find out more about the circumstances surrounding the Emperor, you need to know this place like the back of your hand.” She took a step closer, “and it also helps for escape.”

You your lips in anticipation, feeling the adrenaline already rising up in you to reach the challenge. It was a while since you participated in undercover activities and your body itched to return to it. You were made for this, created for missions and you would use all the tricks of the trade to complete them successfully. “Alright. Just tell me where I can get my hands on the map first.”

She nodded. A younger girl from the harem giggled loudly as she watched the fish bob to the surface to eat the bits of bread lingering in the water and the both of you tensed. She paused before she continued, “Down along the fifth corridor out from the harem chambers is the middle hall. Using the exit from middle hall, walk out into the palace expanse. You will see four buildings; the one with the dragon persona on the corner of the roof is the one you’re looking for. The entrance you want is facing north, then walk across the first corridor; his room is 2nd from the left. Have you got it?”

Before you could ask her to repeat it, Chiao-han called out your name, “Anise! What’re you doing huddled there so long? Come look at the fish! They’re dancing!” she waved you over and you put back on your smile.

“Understood, I’ll arrange for the flowers M’lady,” the maid said rather loudly to mask the previous conversation and curtsied before shooting you a look. “Don’t cut your fingers on the roses though, be careful.” She said knowingly, hidden undertones laced in her voice. You nodded a little, brain cogs still working to remember the essay-length of directions she had just told you and walked unsteadily to the pond.

“Look, isn’t that adorable, it’s wriggling it’s fins like it’s dancing. Just like your dance.” Chiao-han laughed and threw in another piece of bread.

Zi-yu looked up from her sewing, sitting to the side, eyes penetrating. “What took you so long?” she asked ambivalently.

“Oh, I just asked the maid to bring in more flowers next time for when we wanted to resume the activity.” You spoke casually, adding a little tilt of your head for effect.

“Oh…” she mimicked your voice. There was an awkward silence that ensued before she held up her piece of cloth – a handkerchief in fact where she’d embroided a lotus. A chill ran down your spine when she smiled and showed it to you, “Pretty, isn’t it?”

You could only nod and agree.