Awe

In the Concubine's Quarters

 

*couldn't find any good pics, so just imagine she's holding a fan~

 

“Look at her,” Xiumin ushered to Kris who was sitting next to him. One of the younger girls was performing her routine with fans and she flipped them into the sky effortlessly, snatching them perfectly out of the air as they fell. You were up next and so hid behind the rice paper blinds in the next room, watching her also from a crack of the door.

Kris gave a bored nod, his food was left untouched.

You were a little breathless. You’d done this a billion of times – playing the part and pretending to be someone you weren’t. You and your um-ma were quite a pair when it came to espionage, acting all innocent and prying information from the town gossip that ruled in the brothels and tea bars. This talent show was no different, so why should you treat it that way. You couldn’t understand why your anxiety was popping up at the moment and it was a bad habit with you that every time you got nervous, your palms would sweat – profusely.

There had been about four girls who had already performed their ensemble and it was getting to the middle of the night. You imagined the Princes to not really be paying too much attention; you didn’t know a lot about them anyway, despite your prying into their business. In being introduced out onto the stage, it was difficult to see them clearly when you were too absorbed with how you walked and making sure that you wouldn’t trip. Nevertheless, all you saw was the grand table and six elaborately dressed figures seated in the middle of the room, about 50 or so metres away from where you were standing. You couldn’t distinguish the faces or the expressions worn on those faces and the light, to some extent was truly blinding.

Of the girls that were still to perform, they were scattered in the side room practicing for their turn in the spotlight; the ones that had finished were in a different room, getting cleaned up (in turns of appearance) or were resting. Taking a step back from peeking through the crevice you leant your head against the wooden poles of the door. That was a smart move you had unconsciously made because a few seconds later, the door snapped open revealing a maid standing at the door. She called out your name, a little taken aback at how close you were to her and then gave you a knowing look before gesturing you to follow her down the corridor.

The halls were completely empty because everyone, particularly the servants were working at the feast. The emptiness reminded you of your little adventure the night before, but the memory was pushed out of your mind as the girl stopped suddenly in her tracks and pulled you into the nearest room, as if the two of you had suddenly entered a portal and vaporised in thin air.

The room happened to be unlit and it smelt of incense and books. Pushing you close to the wall, the girl spoke in hushed whispers, over the noise of the banquet.

“I bring news from Crimson Lotus: tonight, when the Princes choose a girl from the harem to spend the night with – which is a tradition long held – Qi-yan wants you to make an impression.”

You scoffed, ‘the b@stard,’ you thought. “Of course I’ll make an impression,” you hissed back. The girl looked up and with the light from the corridor you noticed her indifferent expression. She rolled her eyes a little, implying that she didn’t care what you had thought, only that she was here as messenger to deliver the message. She then continued talking as if your comment was never made.

“He also says you won’t be meeting again until in a few weeks time; too risky or something.”

“Who are you anyway?” You asked, a little incredulous.

“My name is of no concern. The only benefit of me is that I hold a position in this court that sees everything but I myself, am not seen. That is all for now, I will bring you more news.”

Worried that the performance of the girl before you had already finished and that you were missing in action, you nudged her aside. “Alright, alright,” you said in haste, before leaving the room and returning to behind the blinds.

“Leave an impression, and don’t get caught.” The girl shushed you as you flustered out of the room, walking out the door with you inconspicuously. Even though the two of you had left your dark alcove at the same time, when you turned around to look back and reassure yourself that it actually happened and wasn’t a figment of your imagination, the maid was nowhere to be found – probably already gone to do her biddings. Shaking your head in disbelief you walked down the hall when another maid met you halfway, her cheeks pink with urgency.

“Where the hell have you been?!” She cried and dragged you away to meet the stage before you could say another word in protest.

 

 

You sang and danced without any mistakes; it seemed almost robot at how systematic the words came out, flowing like a stream out of . It was still beautiful nonetheless and the princes watched on in admiration. Usually the girl would either only sing, or only dance and it was a first for someone to do both so many were pleasantly surprised.

 

   

Chen watched as the robe-collar dipped a little as you raised your arms in poise, revealing the milky bit of skin that curved under the clavicle and swallowed awkwardly. The way the fabric moved around your waist with each pull of your arm and how the veins in your neck would become visible as you pushed for the high notes. He felt uneasy for some strange reason, wanting to divert his gaze like a child caught staring at something he shouldn’t.

Kris was enjoying the view for once; he was thoroughly contented with the display. He brought a hand up to his chin, almost as an instinct; it was difficult not to stare at your lips when they were painted to stun, the scarlet petals moved with each flux of the song and he bit his own lips to cleanse himself of the audacity.

Xiumin couldn’t keep the smile off his face as he marvelled at the talent of your skills. The way you extended your limbs and moved along to the musicians, playing while you sang was just a wonder to him. He pondered how he could’ve missed such a beauty when all the girls had lined up upon introduction – maybe it was the dance.

 

Luhan sat forward in his chair and placed his chopsticks onto the bowl. It was arts at their finest and he could spot such refinery at any Opera House. He’d been to many shows and very rarely was such talent paired with beauty, for the ones that performed at tea bars sang sweet melodies but were never really pleasing to the eyes, or the reverse where they held great appearances but couldn’t sing for chestnuts. He was eager for once and he thought about form – the shape of your body as you dance and moulded to the harmony – how it would look as the inspiration for his next piece.

Tao’s chest tightened as he felt something familiar in the way you moved and the swift gait of the intruder that night, while Lay smirked. He knew you were too pretty to be a maid. 

 

 

 

~

 

 

 "OMO~ What's gunna happen next?" 

 

Stay tuned!

 

 

BTW the Chen gifs are from a tumblr post of 9 reasons why I love Chen and this one is my favourite gif: