Salvation, Save, Safe

In the Concubine's Quarters

 

“Brother.” The word was weak and lacked the conviction it would have otherwise held among blood siblings.

Luhan hid his expression of astonishment the second it washed over his face and stood in silent, wordless composure.  “Lay.” He paused. “What are you doing? “The question seemed innocent enough but behind those words was an eternity of burnt ire to ash.

You locked your shoulders and breathed in the wet, heaving droplets of humid air hidden against Lay’s chest; body braced and terse.

Luhan’s glossed orbs turned to matte and they stared at the delicately clenched fingers dug deep in the folds of his brother’s robes. He had once touched those hands – a finger trailing down to the wrist of a most peculiar sensation. He watched as they slowly unfurled like petal blossoms peeling and reeling in the sun. Regaining yourself, you pulled back your arms, pushing yourself from the Prince and took a gradual step back.

Now that the two of you were separated, Lay inhaled deeply and turned to his brother, expression just as emotionless and gave a curt nod. “Giving comfort.” He finally answered. “But it seemed we were interrupted.” He picked at his wet clothes, standing waist-deep in the bath waters. He was unthinkingly using his torso to shield you from Luhan’s gaze, but not amount of saturated flesh could block his stare.

“I apologise then, for the disturbance.” His voice was impossibly cold. “If I had known that the scene I’d be walking into would tear my chest to pieces and set fire to the remains, I would have never bothered.”

With your head raised in discomfort, his eyes bore into yours and the feeling was indescribable. It was chaotic, a freezing fire – an oxymoron of love and absolute hate all wrapped up and chained down from being set free to destruction.

“Have fun then.” Luhan had to refrain himself from spitting out his words. “Continue your philandering, pretend I never happened.” Then with a harsh twist on his heels, he stepped out the door, thudding footsteps echoing down the hallway.

You tried to stop yourself from calling out his name, but that plan failed before you had even thought of it. “Luhan!” it was a desperate and pathetic cry and no matter what you did from now on, you would hurt either one or both sides. Splashing water around in your flight as you stumbled out of the water, getting out of the large tub. A billion thoughts were sprinting around in your head like angry stallions set free in a tempest. Luhan was the one that made you most uncomfortable in all the Princes at the palace. His love was something you simply couldn’t return no matter how hard you tried and yet, there was a soft spot in your heart – a place he had reserved that you couldn’t move in some sick, erse way or another.

Thinking that Lay would try to stop you from running one way or another, you wanted to get away as fast as possible. You battled with your conscience telling you to stop being such a sissy coward, ignore your emotions like all members of Crimson Lotus were supposed to and get the goddamn job done by first telling Lay about the mutiny plot. Your time was already running out and it was stupid and selfish of you to want to run away like a weakling.

But instead, Lay walked calmly over to your clamouring edge and aided a gentle hand, pushing you out of the water, heavy robes and all. He didn’t try and stop you, or pull you back. You looked at him, eyes wide in astonishment and head clearing for that fraction of a second.

He pursed his lips and again, coolly returned your stare. “Just know.” He began, getting out of the water himself and straightening his posture next to you. “That I’m not sorry…” Reaching out to brush the wet hair out of your face, he muttered, “I make no apology of what just happened.”

A spark ignited in your heart and like a bright piercing light of an explosion, it cleared all confusion in its wake. You slapped his hand away and the sound was like a strident perforation of the wind.

“Don’t.” you cautioned, standing back and glaring him down. “I don’t want to hear it. There are more important things at hand. We don’t have time for this.” Your pressed hard against your eyes and tried to clean up your face, wiping the water and the sense of dirtiness away, though inside you knew that it would stain.

Lay was silent but his face twisted in confusion. Taking in deep breaths and becoming more confident and composed with each inhalation, you grabbed his arm and pulled him close. Staring him dead in the eye, you almost growled. “Lord Sunye is planning a mutiny. You’ve got to get Tao back into the city and the other Prince’s together or else ‘this’ dynasty will end as of tomorrow.”

Water flushed by indicating the passing of time before the Prince frowned – clearly, he didn’t like what he heard. He opened his mouth, about to speak but then shut it again in wordlessness. Finally, he mustered up the only word appropriate for a situation like this: ‘What?’

 

“Put her down. Then you may leave.” Prince Wufan’s voice boomed through the room. The guards dropped a limp figure onto the ground, releasing her arms and she greeted the floor like a stringless puppet, before they exited the room, shutting the doors tight behind them. It was that maid; the one he’d always been suspicious about and finally, he had substance behind her capture.

Blood dripped down to the slouching girl’s knees from the 50 lashings she had endured but still was a locked box. Eying her wearily, Wufan brought the official sentence document to his sight and read solemnly.

“Zhou, Hwa-Wei.” He raised an eyebrow. He’d never heard her name before, not that a prince was required to remember the names of mere servants. He continued, “You were found stealing from a court official, rifling through his belongings and in possession of dangerous weapons. Furthermore, your cavorting with a particular member of the harem has become increasingly suspicious. What do you have to say for yourself?”

Nothing. She had nothing to say for her head remained lowered and hung down from her neck.

Wufan stood up from his seat and approached the girl. “It seemed this behaviour had been going on for a very long time…” He trailed, finally meeting her in the middle of the room and beginning to circle around her like a shark. “Right under our noses.” The prince did this kind of interrogation thing often as being associated with the pastoral side of things, he dealt with the civilians – the people and with people always came crime, among the good. But this time, it seemed he really wasn’t going to get anything out of her.

Grabbing the girl’s chin, he forced her to look at him but her eyes were tired and drooping. It was a stupid mistake she’d made; in all the years she’d been doing this, she never got caught, ever. This time however could most likely be blamed on nerves and the  revolutionary news that brought upon an incredible responsibility on all members of the organisation. She had just returned from telling Qi-yan, thank goodness but time was already running out.

“Speak.” The Prince ordered.

The maid breathed heavily. She had lost too much already and notwithstanding, the lashings were dulling her senses.

“Anise.” She finally murmured. “Find Anise.” It was all she said before the poor girl dropped unconscious from exhaustion.

Wufan froze, releasing the girl so that she fell forward and stood up himself, dusting his robes. The name had been running and replaying in his head since he encountered the girl and now for all the answers he was searching for to be condensed into such a name, was like a slap to the face. He was ready to tear down all the structures of the palace to find the girl but luckily, he didn’t have to because someone else was going to bring him right to her.

“Is Wufan in there?” Kris stared at the voice of his brother through the door. It was strange to be called upon by Lay because it was always the other way around – Wufan would be the one looking for YiXing.

“Yes, your majesty. He is in the middle of an interrogation, you could wai-” The voices of the guards were cut short by the brash opening of the doors. There stood Lay, out of breath and panting, soaked from head to toe, he’d clearly run all the way here. Kris knew not to question too much about the dripping attire as it wasn’t the first time that this eccentric Prince appeared dressed inappropriate to the situation; nevertheless, he stepped around the slumped figure and towards his brother, a furrow in his brow.

“What is it?” He looked over Lay’s shoulder to the confused guards and waved them off with a brushed gesture of his hand. He then turned his attention back to his brother, ignoring his drenched robes who looked paler than usual.

“There’s something I need to tell you. And Brother Xiumin too. Where is he?”

Kris frowned. Something wasn’t right. He cleared his throat before answering, “He’s away at the moment. You should know how busy he is at the moment with the trade; the busiest out of all of us.”

Lay’s eyes widened in horror, “He’s not here?!” He raised a wet palm to run through his saturated hair in agitation.

Kris shook his head and placed a calming hand on his sibling. “No, he’s not in the palace. YiXing. What’s wrong? You seem…” he tried to look for the right word and in the short time could only come up with, “flustered.”

“Damn!” the younger swore, more talking to himself than Kris. “I should’ve known the scheming bastard would get rid of Xiumin in all of this. He is the eldest.” He cursed again as Kris watched on in growing confusion.

“Lay, Lay! Tell me what’s going on. I also suggest you change out of those soaking clothes, you’ll get a cold.” Using the younger’s nickname, Kris grabbed Lay’s shoulders and held firmly before he could get a response in all the chaos.

Lay waited, looking around behind him to see if the guards were still there to eavesdrop before he decided that it wasn’t a safe place regardless. In his scanning of the room, he noticed the figure on the ground and recognised her immediately. He had known her identity as soon as he found out yours and grimaced in pity, glaring at Wufan now who didn’t know that he had done something wrong.

“Follow me.” He said in a low voice, walking out the doors and greeting the guards that stood, potentially listening in to their conversation. No one here could be trusted now. In a reversal of roles once again where Lay took charge and Kris had to obey, the elder was lead out of the room whilst Lay gave orders to the guards, telling them to remove the girl and look after her wounds.

“But Your Majesty, that’s not with the interrogation procedure – she could be a criminal!” one of the guards protested.

Lay gritted his teeth as Kris watched on in bewilderment. “Just do as I say or else you will be put under interrogation.”

With swift nods and shaky hands, the guards did as they were told and the Princes rushed off, one chasing the other in a plight for the answers.

 

Lay had left in a flurry after leading you into his room and asked a server to bring a fresh set of female robes. The meek girl, in her early teens blushed as she handed you the clothes, obviously from looking at your sodden attire, matching that of the Princes. You thanked her politely and changed quickly, removing your daggers too and strapping them back on tightly back onto your body.

Being alone gave you time to think. It was night time now and there was this pressure for action like the apocalypse was imminent because ‘tomorrow’ would always be there around the bend. Even though you wanted to calm down and compose yourself, you couldn’t sit still at all. The harem would be called in to have dinner by now and all of a sudden paranoia wracked your nerves, wondering if anyone else knew about the situation. Unable to help yourself, you stood up and began to pace. To and fro, to and fro like the heavy and repetitive monotony of a pendulum in action.

First, Lay was out gathering the brothers at the moment and then you would tell them all. Then you needed to go out to get Tao. Wherever he was at the moment, stationed at the borders would take at least half a day’s journey by horse to reach him. Then, the palace would need to be surrounded and held under control. They’d need to make sure the civilians aren’t too involved in the chaos. But how would that work?! Either they’d have to flee their homes which would only make the capture of the city easier but if they didn’t leave, they could get hurt and blood would stain the Prince’s hands. You groaned and dropped your head into your hands – thinking, abruptly to how the rest of Crimson Lotus was doing. You reprimanded yourself, never. Ever. To underestimate the power and influence of Crimson Lotus.

Taking in a deep breath you stood up, just as the door was pulled open. There, stood the remaining brothers, Lay, Kris and Chen – who also had been called out from his room. You expected to see Luhan there as well but it was stupid and naïve to think that after what had happened. Lay didn’t go back on the topic but locked the doors as the other brothers walked in, Chen sitting down in a table whilst Kris to the book shelves, clearly uncomfortable.

“Now spill.” The eldest brother said to Lay. You had noticed his eyes widen when he saw you in the room, but averted his gaze to the novels that lined the wooden apparatus. “What do you want? And why is she here?” He nudged his head in your direction and crossed his arms over his chest.

Chen reached for the teapot to pour himself something to drink but found that it was empty. He frowned and sat back in his chair, exhaling. “You better make this quick because I have literally, towers of documents to sign and look through.”

Without too much of an explanation, Lay walked across the room to shut and lock the windows, then went into the corner of the room, where he kept his sword and imperial weapons.

“Brother Lay, what are you doing?!” Chen cried, as the sibling unsheathed his sword and inspected it carefully before returning the blade back into its holster, content at the bright gleam.

“I’ve been trying to get an answer to that question for the past 10 minutes.” Kris shook his head and rubbed his temples.

Finally, the eccentric Prince looked to the others in the room. He turned to you. “Tell them, tell them what you told me.”

My voice was croaky at first and I started of hesitant and shaky. Not because I was nervous but because I was worried how they’d take the news – if they’d believe me or not. I leant forward.

“My name is not Liu Anise…” I began and I felt their eyes bore into my face.

I don’t have a name. I am just a member of Crimson Lotus and we have the rest of this night until dawn breaks.

We’re all in trouble, but if you do as I say, I can help us all. So listen carefully…

 

 

 

~

A/N:..... Hey guise.... >.> I know it's been a really long time so don't look at me like that.... I feel guilty already. *le sigh* So how have you been? It's getting interesting now right? I had stuff going on, that's why I couldn't update as often. I just graduated high school and went to the beach in celebration. Schoolies. If you know what I mean by that. Yeah, but now it's holidays, I'll be updating more so watch this space!

BTW Advertising for my other fics - if you can still put up with me and like my writing~ :D

# My Myungsoo fic for all the INSPIRITs out there! It's about escapism and the contrast of being chased. Inspired by their song The Chaser. Check it out! CLICK the hyperlink--> RUN

#Mermaid fic about Luhan and Chen~ If you have spare time, I'd really appreciate it if you check it out! HERE--> UNDERWATER-TEARS

Those are the two I'm trying to work out at the moment. I still have a Sehun/OC/Kai fic as well as a Taeyang threeshot I'm writing so you can go read those too if you want, but they're not making much progress at the moment, not in my head at least. 

Aaaaaannnnnd! As always, my EXO-ONESHOTS from waaayyyy back that no one really knows exists. Read them if you like fluff! --> SWEET_MELODIES

Love you all! And untill next time~ 

 

    <-- Look at the gems I've found!!! A-MAY-ZING!!! Credit goes to original owners; all pictures and photos not mine!

Pfft, I'm not that talented!