Originals

In the Concubine's Quarters

Three. They call it the magic number, the perfect combination to bring both propitious good as well as ominous evil. Ever since antiquity, the number has always been associated with fundamental order and this lingering sense of surreptitious harmony. It feels wholesome when contrasted against the lone beginnings of one and the balanced yet unfulfilled symbiotic two. Three was always the ideal. Everything had to come in threes.

One. The court meetings were always guarded. Not once was there an air of frivolity, stifled in the seriousness the halls had become. The politicians would enter in a neat file and then fray out to their formal positions, remaining standing till the last one filed in and then permission was granted by the order to take a seat. No one, not even servants were allowed to the hour long briefing. Tea was set up in each respective table before commencement thus no need of waiting staff; the information uttered and jurisdictions given concerned the entire country and such matters should never be even exposed to those of low rank. Nor should any attempt at association be established – it was a complete taboo.

Two. Cross-dressing this time was most definitely not an option. Each session consisted of covert affairs discussed within ranks. Therefore, if you all of a sudden popped in out of nowhere, especially with no rank, you would immediately be found out and sentenced to high treason on the spot without trial. These sessions began with reports from the officials on their sectors with the Princes occupying most of this discussion time. All the information would be gathered by them to influence their decisions for their sector and how to better serve the people. It is mandatory for all members of the congregation to speak as a sign of progress and the work they had been doing. Men did not labour over the civil service exams to enter the court and do nothing. These few seconds in elaborating their work and plans to royalty was ultimately a depiction of how deserving and diligent they were of their position. No comment meant you had nothing to say, meant you did nothing, meaning you were lazy and thus could result in potential removal from the role – which is humiliating and quite devastating seeing as the money paid generously.

Third – oh beautiful third. Let’s say for situations sake, that you managed to pass off convincingly that you were a member of the court or, even better, you hid somewhere and listened in to the whole session in camouflage, because of the secrecy that surrounded these national affairs, certain measures heavily protected prying nobodies like yourself and there simply was an enormous chance that you’d be found out and killed. Not to mention that the Princes were present which always made you uncomfortable in your own skin. There would be too many people at the scene who knew you, undoubtedly bearing witness to your untimely and pathetic downfall.

“As sad as it is… I think that’s the only thing that I can’t do for you…” she trailed. The both of you looked to the further ends of the garden, eyes resting on the grey brick of the wall that encased the greenery.

You grimaced and buried your head in your hands. “I’m not getting anywhere then! I have all this new information and nothing to do with it. A total failure,” your voice was now on the brink of wailing.

“Hey now.” She slapped you on the back of your head and you snapped up straight. She had a frown on her face, “maybe you need more information…”

“What.” You looked at her dumbly.

“You’ve told yourself that staying away from the Princes is a must, but apart from them, who else have you talked to? You keep saying that the officials are suspicious but have you even gone to eavesdrop on them? I know they have frequent parties around the place; all alcohol and beautiful women. What about the monastery? The Original Concubine’s Quarters? The wives of the Emperor surely would have something to say-”

 There was a rustle somewhere in the shuddering leaves and the both of you froze, her words cut short. In that little amount of time, an epiphany lit up your chest and you looked at her with widening eyes. She stood up wordlessly, picking up the cold and neglected desert as she dusted herself off.

“I’ll be taking my leave now Miss.” Then she sped off, fearing suspicion.

You didn’t answer her. Too busy relishing in the new thought that your body was aching to begin. You sat, facing the blank, crinkled grey wall but already you could see your future endeavours painted upon it like the masterpieces of ancient artists.

One. Pry apart the dinner parties those old geezers held late into the night. A little part of you had been patiently awaiting this moment, knowing that at some point or another the dirty work simply had to be done. Since you now had the knowledge surrounding the trade routes tucked safely in your mind, you could better relate that information to what they’d be conversing about. They’d inevitably have to talk about work some point into the night and you’d be there, ears poised to savour the new confidentiality with sultry appreciation.

Two. Visit the Concubine’s Quarters, a somewhat ironic upgrade from the Harem’s quarters that you so resided.  In the palace, nestled in the furthest corner shielded from the improprieties  politics were held the Queens, mothers of the 6 Princes, as well as the other mistresses the Emperor had adored though were not loved enough to be the mother to his future children. The 6 women were beloved to the absent Emperor now held against his spiralling wits. It was unfair that the Queens were so heavily under surveillance and confined to their rooms when the other concubines were given such freedom simply because they bore no children. Sneaking there would be easy because the area specifically ordained to women was one you could easily infiltrate. One thing you dreaded though, would be meeting the head concubine again, as well as the other judges that passed your application. The last time you met her was at the introduction ceremony and a most snarky exchange of words left a lasting impression that made you want to run away from her domineering presence.

Three. The monastery. You weren’t so sure about this one yet because even though it was on the palace grounds, it wasn’t on the map; or if it was, it was under a different name. It would be the closest you’d ever get to the Emperor himself for the entirety of your existence and you guessed that it’d also be the riskiest place of them all, but you were up for the challenge. He’d be under perpetual and unrelenting speculation so you’d have to tread carefully, cautiously. Then, you’d be able to meet with Qi-yan and make the decision on your plan of attack.

This was it. You could feel the adrenaline already pent up in your veins. You looked forward with determination, with assurance as you stood up from the stone-seat, your battle strategies blurring to a mist on the brick wall.

“I can do this.” You huffed, hands balling to fists. “I can do thi-” you swivelled sharply around only to come face-to-face with a certain broad chest.

You stumbled backwards and nearly fell onto the stone when a harsh grip caught you by the arm, grasp tight above the elbow. You glanced down at the contact before looking up at the perpetrator, eyes widening at the sight. Pushing him back roughly, you released yourself from his grip and he stepped back in calmed defence, as if he had already guessed you’d react that way.

“I seem to see you with that maid often. Is there something special about her that makes her so desirable?” Kris spoke languidly, brushing off his sleeve, watching you with his obsidian orbs.

“She is the most attentive to me. Not that it concerns you, Your Majesty.” You nod, equally as indolent in your response. There was a lazy tension in the air that both of you could feel but neither acknowledged.

“Well what concerns me is the growing affection my brother seems to have for you, to which he sacrifices his health. As a caring sibling, I worry that this relationship is him dry of vitality. Don’t you find it positively suspicious?” He curls his head to the side, focusing his gaze further as if magnified at this new angle into your unreadable expression.

“If you were so positive about it, then it wouldn’t be suspicious.” You ponder lightly, darkly teasing. “Anyway,” at this you shift your stance and shrug for effect, batting your eyes and pouting out your lips to feign innocence, “what on earth would you be suspicious about?”

He smirks, a scoff breaking from his lips as he answers your question, “Seduction, good miss, the appalling art of seduction which makes a man fall to his knees. Can you thus deny that you’ve not charmed my brother so?”

You raise your eyebrows and look at him in slight disdain. “I refuse to accept your accusations. But you should know, I am a selected member of the harem; it is my job to allure people of all sorts,  your kind particularly,” you sneer at the word subconsciously and his eyes light up in amusement. “But I take no credit which such regard is unrequited.”

“Well then,” Impressed, Kris tilts his head, crossing an arm over his chest with the other hand up to brush across his lips – an idiosyncratic motion to help him think. “How about we skip your hired profession and discuss that lovely encounter we had where I found you absconding from guards. After that night, I was supposed to receive a certain borrowed map but somehow, I guessed it never reached me. But the pinnacle of that incriminating evening would most definitely be you landing on me after jumping in the window.” His gaze never once lifted and you braced yourself for the arguments to come, already feeling the tingle of insults rising on your tongue.

You laugh, a pent up irritation now escaping your self-control, “I do remember that eventful night…” you trail, “I remember it so clearly,” you reciprocate his watchful eye and finally smirk, “What I remember though, was that I was on top.” Tops. Being on top. The words whirred around in the Prince’s head as a flurry of innuendos flushed into his system where he had to suppress an angry blush. With that final punch delivered, you bowed and then politely took your leave, “I have nothing more of interest to say. I’m now requesting my leave. Excuse me,” you had to hide your snicker but was stopped in your step when Kris side-stepped also, blocking your path.

His frame was considerably wide and by now, your frustration couldn’t be masked. He had completely ruined your determined mood – finally planning to put your battle plan in action when he just had to come along and rain on your parade. You looked up not even bothering to hide your grimace when you saw his expression, the face of a person fallen from grace.

So taken aback, you froze. His eyes were no longer a labyrinthine abyss but pools of molten onyx with flecks that glimmered in the light. His lips lost that tug of smugness, of teasing and instead was replaced with a silent, misshapen plea that pulled downwards instead of up. For once the air of arrogance surrounding the Prince had vanished and he looked almost desperate.

“Who are you.” He breathed the words out of his quivering lips, all trace of confidence gone from his lips as if it was what his entire world rested upon.

“No one important.” You murmured back, trying to tear your eyes from his chest.

That answer did not satisfy the beast within and Kris shook his head twice, adamant. “No, tell me who you really are. There’s something about you that I just can’t… I just can’t understand.”

“I guess that makes the two of us.” You looked at him, finally able to break your gaze as he was stunned by your answer. Using that distraction you took a few steps back and sprinted off. It was true – you, yourself didn’t know if you even had a real identity. You might be Liu Anise today, but someone completely different tomorrow. In all honesty, it was better to give him the truth that you knew, than the lies that you didn’t.

Count. Worthy things came in threes. Pity this didn’t fit into the equation, but somehow, part of you revelled that it only occurred once. Who knew how things would go if the encounter happened two more times.

For sure, you’d break. Take three seconds to regain your breath.

 

One.

 

Two...

 

-

 

~

A/N: hey guyyyss. Sorry if you missed me, you always wait so patiently it makes me feel guilty. There's more action to come and a lot of things will be happening soon so stay tuned!