Formal

In the Concubine's Quarters

 

 

It was like cueing up to join the harem all over again. The violet gown was heavy and mildly suffocating, the shoes were really tight and held off the ground by a tall clog like heel and the hair pins that were stuck in place fluttered around your eyes – moreover the makeup was making you want to sneeze. Everyone was so nervous that they all kept quiet, as if uttering a single word would break the illusion of the formal introduction that was to begin. Held behind the blinds of a side room, the girls were kept hidden before they could be introduced or else the night would be spoiled and no one wanted that. Each girl was to perform a talent, the same audition presented when each girl applied for their roles. You didn’t think it was that big of a deal and thought of the bigger picture, how you were supposed to complete the mission. You were still anxious to receive news but exhausted from having to be so uptight about your secret all the time. No one could be trusted and you were straying too much from the target. If only you could seduce one of the Princes to get some information – you then shook the idea out of your head; you weren’t that desperate.

The girls were lined up in order of age so the youngest was at the front and oldest at the back. Zi-yu looked worried about her position as the last girl but the other assured her that all would be well. A flurry of maids entered and swept up the heavy perfume that had engulfed the room as a result of the girls’ presence and ushered all of you out to face the music. It seemed like a billion lanterns had been lit in the room. Never had you seen a place so bright.

 

 

 

Each prince was dressed in noble attire, golden robes shining and glimmering in room like beacons of light. The robes were all different yet in the same colour, all however, bearing the same imperial seal on their backs: Kris held a print of dragons circling up along the bottom of his attire all the way up across his chest. Xiumin had little flowers, plum blossoms that only bloomed in winter – the flowers were loved for their ability to grow even in the coldest of climates, like resilience, bouncing back from any hindrance. Luhan’s robes were chequered with swirls of different sizes which made looking at them a little dizzying whereas Chen’s were patterned with harsh, jagged oblique lines that cut neatly across his torso; the two a stark contrast to each other but the fabric still the same. Tao’s robes was a mixture of ripples sown onto the fabric and droplet shaped patterns, a blend of sharp and soft textures – Luhan and Chen’s robes together. Lastly, Lay’s robes were of leaves, sewn to look as if they were falling from some far distant tree – symbolising regrowth and healing.

With the 6 of them together, the whole congregation was awed in silence. There was a definite air of authority that completely possessed the room when the 6 were together, a certain something that lacked when they were separated. In the middle of the room they sat, elevated from the ground on a platform at a low table placed with mountains of food.

Xiumin looked eager, his eyes bright. He was more excited about the display than the girls; he missed the enthusiasm of the court without his father and the series of unfortunate events that followed the Emperor’s resignation.

 

 

Kris on the other hand looked unimpressed, merely sitting there and accepting the situation out of his duty and respect for the court and its decisions.

Luhan, who still had ink on his nose – to which all his brother’s gave up on trying to tell him about – was enjoying the spectacle but unlike Xiumin who was thoroughly pleased, Luhan’s excitement was mild and he more contented himself with the entertainment and amusement it posed – more curious than appreciating.

Lay was bored, out of his mind, but he made sure to hide it. He sat at the table with his arms folded across his chest, a small smile playing at his lips, but otherwise, he wished he could leave the scene – the air in the room felt suffocating.

Chen, like Kris viewed his presence as duty and treated the event with more professionalism than the other, keeping a sombre and straightforward attitude, watching the proceedings with lack-lustre eyes.

Tao, had no interest in all at the subject and sat dejected in his seat, looking at his fingers and picking around the place, fidgeting in his seat.

To the right and left of the princes, sat the government officials who ran under the princes as the court and make the shared decisions for the nation. The old concubines sat in a cluster on cushions behind these men and you guessed they were also to contribute to the night’s entertainment. You noticed the fierce looking lady sitting on her legs, lip rouge more flamboyant than ever and grimaced at such an awkward faux pas. The colour didn’t suit her at all.

“Good evening gentlemen.” Lord Sun-ye dictated from his pedestal at the front of the room. “It is my pleasure to gather all of you together to enjoy in the luxuries of life.” A long pause followed as the old man recollected his words and arranged his thoughts. “Sometimes, unfortunate things happen to the best of people but we have to learn in our lives to persevere and find the joy in the situation; thus, to make light of our current predicament, I have called for beauties across the nation to partake in the relighting of our spirits – may I introduce the girls who will make up the new harem.”

At this, the girls walked out – all desperate to not trip on their garments, and curtsied. Applause was given and the seedy old geezers in the back clapped heartily in approval. “Gentlemen, we will let dinner commence, as you watch the talent show to swallow your meals. Please enjoy the night.” Another round of applause was given as the old man slowly got off the platform with effort and then left the scene. The girls were then ushered off by maids as the rest of the servants brought in the food and wine in rows.

It was going to be a long night. 

 

 

 

 

Hey guise~ Yeah, school is becoming a pain so I might update less frequently than before, but I just wanted to tell you that the fluff gets better on from here - just you wait. I just have to get the orientation sorted then all the relationships will bloom like a shoujo manga! 

Anyways, thanks for reading! Enjoy your night/day~

 

  *yup, there goes my social life...