Sad Truth About Happiness

There's a Light That Never Goes Out

 


Disclaimer: The last time I checked, characters are not mine. That would be bad for their health. Chapter title came from Anne Giardini's novel The Sad Truth About Happiness


 

 

"How did that someone got out of the labyrinth?" Donghae asked, his voice very low and barely audible. He was twiddling his thumbs like a little kid asking if he could have another bowl of ice cream after his 5th bowl.

"Is that really what you wanted to ask?" Yesung smirked, surprisingly calm despite the awkwardness of their conversation. His eyes have those faraway look yet he seemed so calm and contented.

Donghae was caught off guard so he just kept his head down, like a deer caught on headlights. There was no way he could ask that without offending anyone. He chose not to answer.

"You wanted to know how I got out of that." The older amended the statement for Hae, who for some reason found the non-existent pattern on the railings extremely entertaining. Donghae could simply nod.

"Sorry but I am not being completely honest with you." Yesung claimed. "I will not pretend to know how you feel, because I don't know. No one knows actually, not even your Donghwa hyung or your umma. What you have with your father is between you and him. But i have to tell you this; I may not know but I understand how it feels. I understand how it feels to cry in the shower so no one can hear you. Waiting for everyone to be asleep so you can fall apart on your own. For eveything to hurt so bad you just want it all to end. Trust me, I understand exactly how it feels."

Donghae looked at his Yesung hyung with brooding eyes. He didn't get it. Where does it all coming from? If what he just said were all true, how come he didn't see it? Surely, with the years they have known each other since their trainee days, he would see any traces of sadness in him. But no, if there were any signs he must have concealed it very well. If possible, Donghae felt another pang of sadness: I've failed him as a friend, he thought. "I don't understand, hyung. I've never seen you sad or miserable before. You're always ha----." but his words were cut short.

"Sometimes you can see things happen right in front of your eyes and still jump to the wrong conclusions." he said like a teacher to a student.

"So you're sad, and you're lying to us." Fishy sputtered in accusingly. 

"Everybody lies, Donghae. The only variable is about what."

They sat in silence. Neither of them felt any need to fill the quietness with words. It wasn't an embarassing awkward kind of silence, but of something that lingers after hurtful words were spoken. Donghae watched Yesung hyung in the corner of his eyes. He was wondering what sort of things were running through the older's head.

"I'm not better, you know." Yesung hyung related while stretching his arms above his head and feeling the wind run through his fingers. "The weight hasn't left my head. I feel how easily I could fall back into it, lie down and not eat, waste my time and curse wasting my time. Look at the schedules and freak out and go and chill with Sungmin and Ryeowook. Look at Shindong and Nari, and feel miserable because i am alone. I could go anywhere, take the subway and hope that it has an accident. Or I could go get a bike and head to Han river to clear my head and hope that the railings weren't that stable so I could crash through it and drown in the water. Sometimes, I'll be up here in the rooftop --that's how I knew you're here by the way -- and hope to get the courage to jump down." he paused for a deep breath. He was almost mumbling now, Donghae wasn't sure if he was still talking to him or just ranting quietly to himself. "All of those are still there. The only things is, it's not an option now. It's just... a possibility, like it's a possibility that I could turn to dust in the next instant and be disseminated throughout the universe as an omniscient consciousness. It's not a very likely possibility. But it still is."

Donghae was completely loss at words. He could feel the pain in Yesung hyung's words. It was excruciating, it was almost physical. The happier people can be, the unhappier they are, Donghae thought.

"Is there anything we can do to change how you feel?" he stuttered in after a very long silence.

"I believe Hyukjae asked you the same question the other day," Yesung replied "what did you say to him?" 

Donghae remembered that scene. He was having one of those -off-all-people-get-out-of-my-way mood. He  didn't mean to, but he just glared at his precious bestfriend instead of answering. That night, Eunhyuk cried his way to sleep.

"I have to go now," Yesung said as he got off the edge of the rooftop. For some reason, Donghae's tongue was still frozen so he could only nod, but every fiber of him was itching to stop Yesung from leaving. (A/N It might look like it, but it isn't a Donghae-Yesung pairing fanfic XD ) That's when he remembered that the older members have a schedule to attend in. Yesung was halfway through the rooftop when he shouted to Fishy, "At some point, we all look up and realize we are all lost in a labyrinth."

 

 


A very short chapter. I might do a double update later, no promises though. You're not the only one who hate how this chapter went, I didn't like it as well but i felt like everything there should be said.

Thanks a lot to @lahdeedah000, you're so kind! :D Although Hyukjae, Donghae and Henry are my main biases, there is a special place in my heart for Yesung and his turtles.

Need to stop this drabbles now. Please subscribe and comment. It really makes me happy :D By the way, thanks to the new subscribers. You made my heart as jumpy as Heechulie!

Shameless advertising again: Please check out my other stories as well! 

Patron Saint of Liars and Fakes, My Bad Luck Brought You To Me, and Rockstars and Idols

Ps: anyone could help me with a poster for this fic? :D