Walking on eggshells

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

It was weekend.

An official date day.

Lay called you to hang out, but you made excuses. All because you wanted to spend the day alone, catching up on the updated stories on your favorite fiction site.

“Mmm.  Sorry ... m-my stomach’s kinda acting up right now.  I think I’m having a bad case of diarrhea,” you tried to sound weak. That’s right. Since you were not so thrilled with him now, you were shameless at this point.

“Oh. Have you taken any medicine yet? Your dad’s away, right? Will you be okay by yourself?” he asked worriedly.

“No need to be so worried, Oppa. I’m taking my meds now. I can take care of myself,” you were trying to hide your annoyance. You were already reading the part wherein your bias was publicly confessing his love for you.

“Are you sure you’re going to be fine?”

“Oppa, I’m not dying ... Oww!” you then faked a whimper of pain. “I t-think it’s coming out! Oh my! I’m hanging up!"

You then went back to reading as if you haven’t been interrupted, happy to be at peace.

 

 

After a while, it began to rain and your mood lifted even more. You always feel good when it rains. You always feel calm and at ease.

You went to the kitchen to make hot chocolate, and returned to the sofa afterwards with it.

You snuggled on the sofa and gave a joyful sigh.

‘Wow. This is life! I never thought I’d miss being alone this much. ’ you thought.

But then, your peace was soon disturbed by the sound of the doorbell.

You weren’t expecting anyone to come, so you tried to ignore it. Maybe it was just an insurance agent, or the bratty daughter of your neighbor trying to annoy the heck out of you.

When the sound of the doorbell got louder and more urgent, you stomped towards the door in an angry manner, and opened it with a scowl on your face.

“Tch! GO A-----,” you screamed but then trailed off when you saw that it was Lay standing outside, "--way." 

His clothes and hair were drenched from the rain.

“Oppa! What are you doing here?! Look at you! You’re wet! Get inside quickly before someone sees you!” you beckoned for him to come inside.

Your dad didn’t know you were dating Lay. He and your older brother were protective of you, and you were scared of how they might react if they ever knew. That was why Lay couldn’t come over to your house.

He was supposed to know that!

You were living in an apartment complex, and you were scared that your neighbors might see and spill to your dad.

You ushered him to the living room.

"I'm not comfortable with the thought of you being alone when you're sick. I'll watch over you for a while," Lay said as he followed you.

"I'm not a child, oppa," you stated as a matter of fact, and he just shrugged. 

You told him to wait for you as you went to your room, and quickly returned with a towel. You spread it open as approached him.

Tipping on your toes, you placed the towel on his head, and started rubbing his hair dry.

You were so focused with what you were doing that you didn't notice his intense stare.

After a while, you suddenly felt the urge to look at him and your actions suddenly halted. You were suddenly aware of your too-close-for-comfort proximity. He was looking at you intently. More specifically, your lips.

His eyes suddenly glazed and you knew that look. He was inching closer to you. Only a little bit more and his lips would be touching yours.

You were suddenly having an internal conflict. You could let him kiss you. It was not as if you’ve never kissed him before. But then, ever since you felt your feelings waver, you couldn't find it in yourself to get intimate with him anymore.

And so, just when his lips were about to meet yours, you pulled down the towel over his face.

Silence.

There was silence.

He pulled the towel from his face and looked at you.

You wouldn’t meet his eyes. You were feeling too awkward to do so.

“O-oppa. Dry your … mmm. I mean try to dry yourself with the towel first or you’ll get sick. I’ll just--- just go to oppa’s room... Right... See if he has anything that will fit you. Y-you need a change of clothes,” you stammered and awkwardly left.

 

 

Lay was just staring at your back as you retreated and sighed heavily. Disappointment was evident on his face.

He was more than upset from how you acted towards him.  He was hurt.

He loved you so much, even if he hasn't told you that before. It was still too early to say such words. And knowing you, you might not believe him anyway.

He had been loving you for a long time now.

He knew you long before that college party.

You were the only reason he was there at all. He wasn’t the type of guy who would get involved in casual flings. But of course, he didn’t tell you that.

There were many things he was not telling you, not showing you...  

It was hard for him to admit, but Lay is scared…

Scared that your feelings for him were starting to fade…

Scared that after all the waiting and perseverance to have you, you would just slip away from him.

Lay wasn't stupid. He knew you. He knew you too well.

He knew that you were lying about having diarrhea. There was just something off in your voice when you talked to him, accompanied by his reliable gut instinct. You always come up with the silliest excuses. That was why he rushed over to your house despite the fall of heavy rain.

You’ve been acting distant lately, and that deliberate lie you told him pushed him to do something about it.

He wanted to be with you and he was not about to go down without a fight.

 

 

Meanwhile, in your brother’s bedroom, you were having a minor nervous breakdown.

‘Oh my. OH MY! He knows it! I swear he knows it now! What do I do?! Do I come clean and break up with him now?!” you mentally cried.

“This is awkward… Kill me now…” you muttered quietly and whimpered. You’ve never been the one to initiate the break up with your ex-boyfriends. It had all been mutual and amicable. Remembering Lay’s actions back there, you knew he would be the exception.

His actions were confusing you.

These past few months you’ve dated, there were countless moments wherein he made you feel like he didn’t want you at all...

There were times you’d do something silly and embarrassing just to play with him. And he would just stay silent and appear to be indifferent to you; which would result in making you look and feel like a fool since he wasn't responding to your nonsense. It seemed like he was embarrassed to be associated with you during those moments, especially in public places.

You were a person who loves to laugh and joke around, and you wanted someone who would bring that in your life.

He was not that person.

He couldn’t maintain a lively conversation for a normal time. You were always the one who leads your conversation. During silent moments, he would look at you and make you feel obliged to talk and talk until he was telling you that you were talking way too much.

You felt like a robot.

Worse, you felt like you were talking to a wall.

But then again, let’s not forget the times wherein he would go out of his way to give you special attention; like today.

He didn’t seem to like staying in this relationship, but he didn’t want to break up with you…

And this was what you didn’t like.

‘Zhang Yixing, you are a big head ache,’  you tiredly sighed.

 

 

After calming yourself, you went out and handed him the fresh set of clothes. You pointed towards the direction of the bath room, and waited for him on the sofa.

You opened your laptop and continued reading the part where you left off to erase the awkwardness you were currently feeling.

It didn’t take long for you to get engrossed with the story.

You were now at the part of the story wherein you caught your boyfriend cheating on you with your best friend.

“What the--?! What a lying cheat!!” you suddenly exclaimed; surprising Lay, who you didn’t even notice sitting next to you until his body jolted from your sudden outburst.

You suddenly felt embarrassed and scratched your head.

“The story is so good,” you chuckled embarrassedly.

He just looked at you, and then turned his attention to the guitar leaning on its stand on the side of the room.

“Can I use it?” he asked.

“Oh sure. Just handle it with care. It’s my oppa’s,” you replied and went back to reading for your comfort.

He went to get the guitar and sat back down next to you.

He soon started playing it.

Songs after songs, he played and sang to love songs you couldn’t care less. You already knew he has good guitar playing skills, and he sings quite well.

When before, you would feel warm and happy whenever he does this, you only feel irritation now. You couldn’t help it. You were reading. How would you be able to continue with what you were doing, when he was distracting you with noise?

You sighed softly and closed your laptop. It was not a day for relaxation after all.

Better face and endure this uncomfortable atmosphere.

You shifted to a more comfortable position on the sofa and closed your eyes.

 

♫ I don't know where to start, I'm just a little lost

I wanna feel like we never gonna ever stop

I don't know what to do, I'm right in front of you

Asking you to stay, you should stay, stay with me tonight... ♫

 

Lay stopped playing when he saw you started breathing evenly. You were already sleeping.

He put away the guitar, moved your body to lie on the sofa and lied down beside you as well. He wrapped his arms around you, feeling content to have you near him.

You were facing him and he just watched you sleep peacefully; memorizing your face and taking in the moment. He had an ugly feeling that this might be the last time he’d be able to do so.

 



A/N: Maroon 5's Love somebody. Couldn't find an Exo song that would fit. ;p