Will we ever meet halfway?

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

You were a bit surprised that Kris was genuinely making an effort to treat you like his girlfriend.

Since you were still injured and couldn’t go out, he had been going to your apartment and bringing you whatever stuffs he thought you might like. Things like movies, books, and CD games. He would even bring you flowers at times. He had been attentive to you and treated you well. He was the type of guy that women would kill for. But still, you steeled yourself from his sweet actions.

You didn’t feel like seeing another guy just after you realized that you were in love with someone else. That would just feel wrong.

You tried to tell him again and again that you didn’t want to date yet, but to no avail.

He was that persistent.

He left you with no other choice but to push through your strategy.

“What is this weird concoction?! Do you want to kill me?! You know I could sue you for attempted murder, you food poisoner!” you exclaimed as you spat the food from your mouth in the napkin.

On the opposite end of the sofa, Kris suddenly looked serious and deathly scary as he showed you his face expression.

You had been rude to him for days now. He kept calm, and he was even entertained at times. He knew that you were only being like that because you wanted him out of your “arrangement”. But this was the worst insult he had ever received from you! He knew that he wasn’t some master chef, but did you have to be that cruel?!

You hit a jackpot on this. Kris was sensitive the most when it comes to his cooking skills.

He grabbed the special noodles he made for you and glared at you.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. But this is the best I could come up with. I guess you’ll just have to starve then,” he said in a monotone and his expression remained passive. He put the bowl down on the coffee table far from your reach.

He honestly tried to be patient and kind with you. But with the way that you were disrespecting him now, you were effectively sending him right off the edge!

You stared at Luhan in the family photo hanging on the wall of your living room, and pathetically whimpered.

“Luhan! Why do you hate me so much?! I thought you love me! How could you force me to be with someone who treats me this way?!” you wailed as you glanced at Luhan’s smiling face in the picture. His face irked you to no end. He looked so cute and adorable there that you wanted to take the photo down and burn it.

'Unfeeling brother!'

You fisted your hair out of frustration and turned to look at Kris again.

“Just dump me, Kris! See?! We can’t even get along... I’m such a , I’m rude, I’m not easy to get along with, I complain a lot, I’m not that tall, I don’t brush my hair, I don’t wear make-up, and my s are flat…” you paused to look at them. “…you won’t enjoy me!”

You looked at him expectantly.

When you saw that he had the same blank expression on his face, you couldn’t help but to groan out in annoyance.

You closed your eyes and pinched the bridge of your nose.  

'Wu Yifan, I am dumped with too many problems already! Stop adding stress to my life!'

 

 

Kris's eyes trailed to your chest.

'Two can play this game, ____.'

He smirked internally, as he eyed your bust intently.

 

 

It had been silent for a few seconds, and you opened your eyes to check what he was doing.

Your mouth gaped like a fish as you were dumbstrucked to find his eyes focusing on your bust. You couldn’t believe that he had it in him to do something appalling such as this.

He finally looked you in the eye.

“They’re not that flat. Just perfect for me.” He raised his hands, showing you his palms.

You were horrified and you were suddenly well aware of how red your face had become. You quickly grabbed the throw pillow on your couch and threw it at Kris. “You freaking ert!” You immediately tried to hide your chest with your arms.

Unfortunately, he expertly caught the pillow.

“You started it,” he told you arrogantly.

If you were just fully healed, you would’ve run away from this person. It was just like the time he witnessed the evidence of your first menstruation all over again. That was how awful you were feeling! It was not like the two of you were close. He had no right to do that to you. Well, you would’ve been close to him if he wasn’t Wu Yifan (the guy who witnessed your most embarrassing moment), and if he just didn’t agree to stupid Luhan’s request.

You facepalmed yourself. “How could you do that?! You just don’t do that! You just don’t stare at any girl’s s you lecherous freak!”

He crossed his arm over his chest and raised his brow at you. “We’re together. You’re not just any girl.”

“And now I hate you even more! I hate how you’re tall that I look like a dwarf next to you. I hate how I thought you were sweet and kind--- don’t you dare look smug!” you pointed at him with your index finger, “I swear you’re like Luhan. You both have a dark alter-ego!  Maybe that’s why you get along, you pair of jerks! And I hate your food! I can’t be with someone who can’t cook, for pete’s sake!” you angrily ranted as your hands swung around animatedly.

You were panting afterwards and looked at him with knitted eye brows. There was silence except for your ragged breathing.

'God. Will someone knock some sense to this person!? Please!'

He leaned his elbow on top of the back of the sofa, and leaned his head on his fist. He looked serious as if he was kindly considering your words.

“Who’s Pete?”

You looked at him in disbelief.

“Oh . Kill me now,” you whimpered as you glanced at the ceiling.

He smirked at you and shifted closer to you, occupying the middle part of the couch.

“You know, I’m not going to stop seeing you just because you’re purposely acting like a ,” he said in amusement. He then reached out his hand to the ends of your hair and started playing with it.

You laughed mockingly and looked at him as if you were evil incarnate. “Who says that was on purpose? FYI, Kris. You don’t know me that well. This is the real me... You are friends with Luhan that’s why I’m advising you to back off already. You don’t know how hateful I could be.” You swatted his hand rudely off your hair.

He just chuckled at you while shaking his head.

He smiled knowingly at you.

“No, ____. Trust me when I say I know you well.”

You just stared at him in disinterest. You were getting tired of him already.

Kris caught you off guard when he suddenly leaned close to your face. Feeling his hot breath on your cheek, you forced yourself to stay still or he might just kiss your lips if you turned to face him.

You felt his lips ghosting over your skin as he whispered words to you, “Oh how I know you so well… Like I know the fact that you have feelings for Lay.”

You felt your heart miss a beat.

Your eyes widened and you instinctively looked at Kris, your lips only centimetres apart. Your eyes were locked with him, and he saw the shock and vulnerability in them.

He slowly pulled away and patted your head.

“I don’t have feelings for him,” you softly said and weakly removed his hand on your head.

“You don’t have to deny it. You’re obvious. It’s a wonder why Luhan doesn’t see it… maybe he’s just in denial,” he said as he adjusted his body, so he could sit straight and rest his back on the sofa. “Is that why you’re pushing me away?”

A frown marked your face as you copied Kris’ comfortable position on the sofa. “We’re not together, Kris.”

He just looked at you in an unnerving way.

You buried your face in your hands so he could take the hint and remove his gaze on you.

As expected, he was relentless.

You took a peek at him and saw him still looking the same way at you.

You have no choice but to admit defeat to this man. You sighed heavily. “But yes, I am in love with him. And I know it’s too late now and I couldn’t have him anymore. But for now, at least for now, I think it’s enough to love him from afar.”

“For Mei Hua’s sake?”

You smiled sadly and softly shook your head.

“For his sake as well.”

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Mei Hua was scheduled to meet with Lay earlier that night, but he blew her off.

Lay just doesn’t do that to her. If he were to ever miss any of their hang outs, Lay would politely inform her. It wasn't like him to just go MIA on her.

Mei Hua ceaselessly called and texted Lay throughout the night. He was making her nervous and worried.

When it was close to midnight and there was still no word from him, Mei Hua decided that it was time to look for Lay to calm her hay-wired nerves.

Frantic about Lay’s unusual behaviour, Mei Hua invaded Lay’s privacy by tracking his whereabouts through phone tracker. Fortunately, she was able to at least find the general area where he was at. She immediately went there and searched for him throughout the block and the nearby ones.

Running around like a fool at an ungodly hour, Mei Hua could feel sweat dripping down her forehead and back.

“Lay, where are you? C’mon,” she nervously muttered.

20 minutes into searching around the area, she stumbled upon an isolated park and decided to try her luck there. She wrapped her coat tight around her as she felt the blow of the chill wind.

As she neared the intricately engineered and complex water sculpture, she saw a lone figure sitting at the fountain’s edge. She slowly approached the man, her heart beating in anticipation as she hoped that this was who she was looking for. When the guy lifted his head to look at her, Mei Hua’s face broke out in a relieved smile as she ran immediately towards him.

But as she was nearing him, she noticed something on the ground near his feet that made her footsteps slowly halt. Her smile vanished as she saw the beer cans.  

She trudged over to him, and tentatively crouched down to finger the empty cans of beer. She inspected and counted how many he has had already.

Mei Hua then slowly stood back on her feet and silently took a seat beside Lay’s forlorn form.

She looked worriedly at him and placed her hand gently on his shoulder.  “Lay…” she said softly, knowing how her best friend seemed to be in a sensitive situation.

“I don’t want to talk,” Lay bitingly said.

Mei Hua’s body jolted a bit from the venom that dripped from Lay’s words. Lay had always been comfortable with Mei Hua. They have the kind of friendship wherein they could be rude and sarcastic to each other; but this is the first time that Lay acted like this to her.

 

 

Lay scowled as he felt the tension in Mei Hua’s body.

He wanted to be alone now. He didn’t want to see anyone, especially Mei Hua. He knew that was rude and uncalled for. But right now, with the alcohol affecting his rationality, he could care less. He was mad at Mei Hua for dragging him into deeper .

He glanced at her pained expression.

But then, Mei Hua was the closest friend to him. Even if she might have contibuted to his problem, this was still the person who stuck with him through the good times and the bad.

Lay punched his thigh hard to release some tension to calm himself, causing Mei Hua to yelp in shock and fear. 

He glanced at her again and let out a heavy breath. He bent forward, his elbows leaning on his knees, as he buried his head on his hands.

“I’m sorry, Mei Hua…”

There was an uncomfortable silence.

Mei Hua didn’t know how to react. She didn’t know what was running through his mind. But if Lay was acting this way, she knew that whatever he was going through right now had something to do with you.

It took a while before Mei Hua responded to him.

“Why are you saying sorry when it’s me who should be telling you that? I’ve caused you trouble, Lay… I’m really sorry, ” she whispered and bowed her head shamefully, her hands closing into fists on her lap.

Lay rubbed his eyes tiredly and turned to look at her. “She already broke up with me before you’ve gone berserk at seeing your ex again.”

Mei Hua’s heart was breaking as she saw his best friend agonizing over you. Lay had never looked this hurt and devastated; not even when you broke up with him.

She slipped her hand to Lay’s, making him look at their joined hands.

She intertwined her fingers through his, looking at him in sympathy. Mei Hua had been best friends with Lay for years now. He was practically Mei Hua’s brother from another mother. She was protective of him, and she knew deep in her heart that she was willing to die for this man.

She locked eyes with him as she wordlessly told him he could draw strength from her.

Mei Hua felt Lay squeeze her hand, and she leaned her head on his shoulder.

She was there for him. 

They stayed like that for a while, both lost in their own thoughts.

 

 

It was moments later when Lay decided to break the silence.

“I’m tired, Mei Hua. I’m tired of all this chasing.”

He sighed.

“Just when I thought I could have her back, there are just too many forces blocking the way. She’s already dating another guy. I didn’t even get the chance to tell her that I’m not with you. She wouldn’t hear me out. She’s been avoiding me. Tell me. How do I go on from here, Mei Hua?”

Mei Hua just squeezed his hand in comfort.

“I pity myself. Why am I going after a girl who doesn’t feel the same way for me? I’m young. Heck, I could have any other girl I like...”

“But you don’t want any other girl,” Mei Hua gently reminded him.

Lay shook his head slowly, conscious about Mei Hua’s resting head.

“I don’t know anymore, Mei Hua. Maybe I’ll forget her in time. She’s not the only girl in the world. I think it’s time that I think about myself first.”

“So, you’re saying you’re giving up on her?”

Lay stayed silent.

“Are you sure about that?”

“I’ll try one last time, Mei Hua, one last time. I’m at my limit now. I love her. I still do. But if she refused me again, I don’t think I could hold on any longer. This is just stupid now. If she loves me, then she should come to me. She can’t keep on tormenting me like this anymore.”      

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

You were lying awake on your bed at three o’clock in the morning.

The room was dark except for the light on your phone.

 

Can I talk to you?

 

You had been staring at those five words for some time now. Lay kept on texting you the same message for days already. Obviously, you didn’t reply to any of those.  You didn’t want things to be more complicated than it was. Talking about the kiss you had shared the last time you met would only make it harder for the both you.

You felt guilty and wretched whenever you think of that moment. Yes, you love him; and you even had him first. But that didn’t mean you have any right to be a home-wrecker. What if you were in Mei Hua’s shoes? Wouldn’t you hate it if another woman gets freaky with your man? Especially his ex-girlfriend?

You dropped your phone on the bed, and pressed a hand to your temple as you slowly massaged it.

You were just going to live like that momentary lapse of judgment didn’t happen. You refused to acknowledge it. It would be better for the both of you.

You curled up in a foetal position, careful with your left knee, hoping that sleep would soon come to you.

 

 

As you were starting to feel your mind slowly drifting into unconsciousness, your eyes automatically opened as you felt your phone vibrate near your pillow.  You stayed still as you tried to sense whether it would vibrate again.

It did. Someone was calling you at this time then.

You felt for your phone and successfully reached it.

You moved the phone near your face and the light from it momentarily hurt your eyes. You were forced to wait for a few seconds for your eyes to adjust. When it did, your heart thumped wildly in your chest as you saw Lay’s picture on the screen of your phone.

You would’ve ignored or rejected his call, but something in you told you to do otherwise. Even when you were together, Lay had never called you at this hour. What he was about to tell you must be something of importance if he had resorted to doing this.

Your hands were cold as you accepted his call.

You pressed the phone on your ear as you waited for him to talk.   

“Do you want me to come back to you?” Lay asked you direct to the point.

It was good to hear his voice, but his straightforwardness was something you were not prepared for.

“Lay, Mei Hua----“

“Forget about Mei Hua! Do you want me back?” you heard the edge in his voice

“Lay, I…” your voice trailed off and then there was silence.

'Why is he doing this? Does he want the two of us to get together again? What will happen to Mei Hua, then? I'm a girl. I know how she would feel.'

“I miss you… I miss you so much…” his voice was so broken that you felt your heart reacting to it.

“Lay…”

“I love you, ____. I love you. Just saying that so you know…”

Your breath hitched as you heard him say those three words; those three important words that he never told you when the two of you were together. Your heart was pounding, and you tried your hardest to refrain from saying those words back to him.

“I don’t regret what I did. I don’t regret kissing you, because I love you so damn much my heart could burst.”

“Lay you shouldn’t be saying----”

“But I’m tired now, ____. You hurt me far too many times already.”

That got you real good. You were well aware of this, but you didn’t expect the blow to your heart to be this strong when he personally tells you this.

“So it’s either you get me back now or tell me to back the hell off so I could have closure.”

God knows how much you wanted to just set things right with him. But then your morals were too strong, hindering you from doing so.

“Lay, I couldn’t----“

“I’m not with Mei Hua nor have I ever been romantically involved with Mei Hua,” Lay finally dropped the bomb.

You were beyond shocked, you felt as if someone poured water over you then mercilessly electrocuted you.

You couldn't stop your mouth from opening and closing like a fish.

You were deathly quiet as you tried to absorb what he just said.

“What?!”

“She’s just my best friend. I never had feelings for her.”

“But what about---… You PLAYED with my feelings?!”

And this was exactly what he feared the most, your tendency to focus on the negative side instead of the positive. You were still selfish. This was you again jumping into conclusions, not even giving him the chance to explain things fully.

Lay’s mood was still off when he made the call, and the things you were saying now just made his temper suddenly flare.

“Well you played with mine so let’s call it even,” he slowly said in a low tone.

You were stunned speechless. You placed your hand over your heart as you slowly caressed it as if it could make the pain less worse.

“With that way of thinking, you expect me to try things out with you again? Really? Do you hate me that much?” you whispered to him.

He just stayed silent.

“I don’t know. Maybe I had been cruel to you, but they were never intentional, Lay. How can you want me back when you still have some unresolved issues with me?”

You hit the end call button, hanging up on him.

You buried your face in your pillow as you let the tears escape your eyes. You chewed on your bottom lip to stifle your cries so Luhan wouldn't hear.

You didn't want to think anymore, you just wanted to cry and let every ounce of hurt and sorrow out.

You had never felt so cold.

This was the first time in years that you wish someone would be there for you and just hug you.