All because of 18%?

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

There were days when people were too caught up in their life in general. Busy with whatever work, busy being troubled by something that was either so trivial or serious.

Seldom do people take the time to wind down and just relax. Seldom do they stay silent and reflect, be impartial on what was happening with their own life.

Tonight, was one of the rare times when you were awfully forced into silence.

Your night is as stagnant as it could get. And you absolutely hated it. In fact, you abhor moments like this.

You hate silence. You hate having nothing to do. Because every time you were under such situation, it makes you think. And you don’t like to think. When you think about things, it makes you feel about it. And when you feel about it…you don’t really want to go there. 

You tried tuning in to TV shows. But as you flipped through the channels, you couldn’t find anything that would be of interest…

 

…okay so maybe that was a lie. You found something interesting when you came across this cable channel and you saw this unfamiliar group, maybe a rookie group, performing one of your favourite Korean Idol group’s songs.

If you didn’t hear the all-too-familiar song of Super Junior’s “Sorry Sorry” blasting through the speakers, you would’ve changed the channel.

You were distracted by this guy who was dancing and working the stage as if he was the freaking boss. This guy had his hair sleeked on the sides, has a tan skin, and it might be considered a crime to miss those plump lips. He was distracting you with the way he was always holding onto the buckle of his belt, biting his lips, and smirking as if he was sure of how y he was; which he really was. He was doing those “Yes-I’m-y-come-and-get-me” look all throughout. He was oozing with confidence, and why wouldn’t he? Whatever he was doing, he was succeeding in seducing women; and doing it big time.

But after that one exceptional moment, you’re back to being bored and restless.

What’s the use of paying for cable channels when everything is boring?!

You were frustrated that you almost threw the remote on your TV screen.

If you didn’t think of the possible consequences just in time, you would’ve really done that. Instead, you just turned the TV off and grabbed your trusty laptop.

You just visited the web sites you frequently go to just to pass time. And of course, they could only entertain you for so long.

As a last resort, you clicked on your favourite fiction site just to see if your favourite story had been updated.

And to hell, it didn’t.  So yeah, that’s just another thing added to your list of disappointments for the night.

You slammed your device shut, not caring whether you damaged it in the process. You are just so damn annoyed for being bored.

You leaned your back harshly against the backrest of the sofa and irritatingly grabbed your phone. You impatiently searched for your best friend’s name and called her. All this stress of being idle is getting to you.

As you were waiting for her to answer, you soothingly massaged your forehead.  It had been a number of rings already and she’s still not answering your phone call.

Just as you thought she wouldn’t be answering it at all, she finally picked up.

“Hi, girl!” Yin said in an excited voice.

“Hel-“ you didn’t even have time to finish your greetings when she rudely interrupted you, firing words in a hurried manner as if she didn’t speak for a year.

“I love you, but I’m currently on a date with Xiumin and he just gave me this--“ she suddenly squealed so loud you were forced to pull the phone away from your ear. You put a hand on your ear on reflex as if you could go back in time and block your ear before Yin’s assault. By the time you finally recovered and pressed your phone back to your ear, you found out that she didn’t stop talking and you just barely managed to hear the tail end of what she was saying.

“—and OH MY GOD I swear you’re dying of jealousy right now since none of your exes did that to you!” you heard her laugh like a maniac because of giddiness.

You were rendered speechless for a second. You were calling her for comfort and company, not for her to rub in your face just how pathetic you were.

“You know what? It’s a good thing I didn’t catch what you were previously rattling about or you would’ve been dead by now for your last statement.” you told her in a menacing tone.

She only giggled in response. “Whatever. Just stating the truth. Got to go, honey. Go bother someone else.” And with a farewell laugh, she hung up on you.

You pulled the phone from your ear and stared at it in utter disbelief.

Your best friend just hung up on you!

The nerve!

Now you are certainly more irritated than ever!

Not just because she hung up on you, but because it seems like you’re the only person who is miserable in the world right now!

You lied back down on your comfortable couch and tugged on the roots of your hair.

What am I going to do now?!  Luhan is on a boys’ night with dad. Yin is happily dating her so-adorable-i-want-to-kill-him boyfriend. And I don’t feel like randomly calling my other friends. Oh . What do I do now?!

You turned to your stomach and nuzzled your face on the sofa.

After some time of desperately keeping your mind blank from hateful thoughts, an idea suddenly came to mind.

You sprang to your feet and laughed evilly as you remembered something about Luhan. You only hope that your hunch is correct.

You walked calmly towards his room since you were not in a hurry. In fact you were just wasting time. Yes. That’s how ridiculous you were being.

You opened his door and started to look for something that had miraculously gone missing in the fridge ever since your dad came back.

You laughed at the thought of your brother trying to behave and bowing to the rules of someone else. Oh it feels so good for you to have your father back! Things are getting more interesting, at least in the house.  

You approached his bed and held your breath as you peeked underneath it.

Nope. Not here.

You rummaged through every shelf and closet, still not there.

You pressed your index finger on your lips as you thought of where else he could hide it.

You scanned each surface of the room.

Oh How did I miss this? How stupid. 

You pulled on a chair and brought it near your brother’s built-in wardrobe, and stood on it. You tugged on the handle of the uppermost part of his closet and smiled excitedly as you hoped to finally see what you’ve been looking for.

When you saw the contents of it, your smile was wiped off your face in an instant.

No Effin’ Way.

There’s nothing. Nada.

This is unbelievable!

You slowly stepped off the chair and threw yourself on Luhan’s bed, not caring if your brother finds out about you ‘defiling’ his sacred bed.

You were sure of it. It’s got to be here. Luhan just won’t discard that. It’s a habit for him to keep some of those.

Yes. It’s definitely got to be here.

With renewed energy, you got out of the bed and approached the only place you haven’t inspected yet.

If it isn’t here, I’m going to kill myself.

You tugged on the lid of your brother’s laundry bin with bated breath, and started to pull out your brother’s used clothes. Halfway through it, your hands hit something hard.

A smile suddenly formed on your face.  Just to make sure that you weren’t being tricked by false hope, you felt for it again. This time, you can’t help but grin wildly as you pulled the plastic out.

You dangled it gently in front of your face and laughed out loud as you ran to the kitchen. You didn’t even care about his strewn clothes.

You put the plastic containing the bottle of Luhan’s Extra Dry Martini on the kitchen counter.

You don’t know why but he absolutely favoured this drink. This is his guilty pleasure and you don’t know why. It’s not that he is alcoholic or something. You’ve only seen him drink at home occasionally. This is just a must-have for him and you’re about to find out why.

You went to grab an ordinary glass since you have no specific glasses for alcohol drinks. Alcohol is just banned in your house. The moment that either of you are caught sneaking it inside, you’ll have your father’s wrath to suffer to.

You then excitedly opened the fridge and looked for some olives. You placed three of those inside the glass, and made a move to open the bottle to pour the contents in the glass as well.

You clapped your hands as you admired your glass of drink.

You took a deep breath as you lifted the glass to your lips.

You haven’t tasted any alcohol drink greater than 12 % vol. before. That was the limit you personally put up for you. And now you’re about to drink 6% beyond that. Oh well. It’s time you be a big girl now.

You took a courageous sip and you almost spat the drink out.

That’s for drinking this unchilled liquor straight up, ____.  But no, I can do this. I will do this. This is just 18%.

You took sip after sip of the martini. When you were finally able to get used to it, you grabbed the bottle and headed towards the living room.

You placed the bottle on the coffee table and you sat back on the sofa yet again.

 

 

After some time of mindless drinking, you were back to being bored.

As you nurse the glass in your hand, your thoughts were starting to betray you now that the alcohol got you loosen up.

It doesn’t take a smart man to know that you were thinking of Lay once again.

The last time you saw him, you wanted him again. You just wanted to throw away your pride and apologize to him, make things right with him. But that was not you. Your pride could challenge that of a guy’s anytime. You just wouldn’t let yourself “stoop so low” like that. If you were to ever get back together, he needed to try again. You wanted him to take the first step again. And so, you let that ridiculous class ended without you talking it off with him.

You suddenly slapped your face when you realized you were thinking of him.

“What the hell, ____. There’s no need to lament over something like that! It’s your own fault anyway! You just won’t swallow your pride!” you scolded to yourself out loud.

Pissed off, you grabbed your phone again, feeling the need to talk to someone.

As you searched through your contacts again, you just found the right person to talk to. The only person you know would take your mind off things.

You pressed the phone to your ear as you wait for him to pick up his phone. You continued drinking as you wait for him to do so. You weren’t really keeping track of how many times you’ve refilled your glass.

After a few more seconds, you were just directed to his voice mail.

Annoyed with it, you ended the call and tried to contact him again.

After two more attempts, you were royally pissed now.

How dare he not answer his phone and ignore me!    

You called him again. This time when you were redirected to his voice mail, you decided to leave a message.

“I’m not calling you for nothing. So if you would continue to ignore me, and if you won’t call me back in the next five minutes, I will dump you. I’m serious, Kris.” you said in a cold tone, not minding if you appear to be needy and y.

You ended the call and waited for the result of your threat.

After a minute or so, the most-awaited phone call finally came.

Just to get back at him, you purposely didn’t pick up in his first try.

You weren’t scared of him not calling again. You know he would.

When it comes to you, you later on found out that Kris would just about readily do anything; which came off as a huge shock to you. The first time you’ve seen him in years, you thought differently of him. The way he just let go of his date at the cinema then, you thought Kris would be the same with you.

The set-up between the two of you was just that…a set-up. But you were so wrong when you witnessed him doing otherwise. You were confused as to why he was acting that way. And the only reason you could think of? You are Luhan’s sister.

A smug smile formed on your face unintentionally when he called again. Deciding on not continuing this nonsense for so long, you answered him.

“Whoa. Nice of you to call me back. I’m sorry for taking you away from your busy sched.” you sarcastically told him.

He ignored what you said and talked about something else instead. “Threatening now, are we?” you heard his teasing voice.

“I’m not threatening. I’m just merely stating facts.”

“If you break up with me, how would you explain that to your brother then, huh?” he sounded as if he was mocking you.

Well he was mocking you! You just wanted to beat him into oblivion for being such a jerk when you were clearly not in the mood.

“Oh it’s easy. I’ll just say that you’re being an , like you are now.” you snobbishly told him.

You heard him laugh on the other line and tutted. “Our ____ is so touchy. Who made you so cranky? Tell me and I’ll beat him up.”

You rolled your eyes at his statement. “You. And do a good job while you’re at it. God, I just hate you pulling the Luhan card at me. Because contrary to popular belief, I am a grown woman and I could flip him off. I will do what I want, damn it!”

“You think you could just tell your brother off like that?”

“You know the weird thing is, even if you’re implying that I couldn’t ‘defy’ Luhan, you’re here calling me right after I told you I would dump you.”

There was silence on the other line.

“Even if you didn’t tell me that, I would’ve called you, you know?” he said after some time.

“Oh, really? Isn’t it too much of a coincidence that you only decided to call me right after I told you that, and you didn’t even pick up my numerous calls before?”

“I just got out of the shower, Okay? I would’ve answered your last call but I missed for a millisecond.”

“Do you normally think of excuses that fast?” you asked in disbelief.

“Only with you.” you heard him chuckle. “So why were you furiously calling me?”

“Nothing. I just want to be with someone right now. I’m so alone and bored I want to go out!”

“I can’t hang out tonight, ____. I’m busy doing something.”

“Kris.” you whined out his name and you heard him sigh on the other line.

“But if you want to come over, my door is open for you. Maybe I’ll finish up soon and we’ll see what we can do then.”

“Really?!” you smiled widely, forgetting your previous annoyance with him. “Kris, you’re the best, you know that?”

“I know I’m the best. How about you? Do you know that?”

“Of course. Only because you’re letting me keep you company” you stuck your tongue out childishly even if he can’t see you.

“It’s dark already. Are you sure you could go by yourself? If you want, I’ll just bring my things and do it there.” you heard a hint of worry in his tone.

“I’m a big girl, Kris. Besides, it’s me who’s asking for a favour. I don’t want to bother you more than I do now.”

“You’re not bothering me.”

“No need to be smooth with me, Kris. I’ll come over. I’m tired of being stuck in the house anyway.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.”

“I’ll see you then. You have to take care, okay? Call me when you’re near.” He said in a serious voice.

“Okay. I’m hanging up.”

As soon as your conversation ended, you hurriedly grabbed the evidences of your drinking session.

You drank what’s left of your glass and quickly washed it.

As for Luhan’s bottle of Martini, you put inside the plastic again and tucked it away in his laundry bin. You hastily placed his scattered clothes inside, and then ran to your room to get ready.

Tonight you’re not going to be alone.

 

 

You decided to go out in a grey off-shoulder sweater dress. Since it wasn’t so cold anyway, you’ve forgone wearing leggings and just opted to wear shorts instead.

As you travel to your destination, you weren’t really paying attention to what was happening around you. You were traveling with half a mind and you were lucky to still be alive so far.

The night wind on your skin was just refreshing and comforting. You just wanted to get lost in the moment. When was the last time you even enjoyed simple things such as walking at night?

Well you used to when you were still with Lay.

You halted in your steps for a few seconds.

Lay was the kind of guy who enjoyed simple things.

He used to ask you to walk around with him.

He just wanted to spend time with you walking. You weren’t even speaking during those moments. He was content with just the two of you. And all that seemed to matter to him was that your hand was in his. That was how simple he was. You never understood the pleasure he got from it… not until now.

You slowly resumed walking with a broken heart.

Nothing unusual.

 

 

It was never your intention to call Kris. You wanted to surprise him.

And that was why you didn’t bring your phone. You didn’t want your time with him to be ruined by a call from Luhan. Though you knew he could always call Kris anyway.

You were functioning on instinct alone.

You were feeling surreal. It was as if your mind was free, as if your entire being was floating.

You knew you would definitely have a good time with Wu Yifan.

You soon reached the familiar house and knocked loudly on his door.

“Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris! Kris!” you repeatedly shouted in a quick manner as you pounded on the door, not letting up until he opens it.

After some time, the door was swiftly and harshly pushed open that you had to step away from it fast to avoid being hit. Your hand automatically flew to your heart from the surprise you received. You were clearly not expecting him to open the door like that… as if he was ready to bite off the head of the person on the other side.

From your eye level, you could see the shape of a well-toned chest hidden behind a shirt.

You suddenly your dry lips.

You have developed a weird for a man’s chest all because of Lay…

.

..

When did my eye level reached Kris’ chest? Did I just grow a few inches?

You slowly lifted your head to confirm your irrational thoughts.

What you saw made your mouth gape in an ugly way like a fish, and you suddenly felt as if you should be shot to death right now.

“Do I ing look like Kris to you?” an all too familiar person asked with barely contained anger.

Oh damn. You had never seen him look this murderous before.