The sh*t hits the fan

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

“Oppa! Where are you? We’re here already. We’ve been waiting for fifteen minutes now... My feet are hurting…” Yin, your bestfriend, whined as she talked to her boyfriend over the phone. She was going to introduce his boyfriend to you, and figured that the best way to do so was to go out on a double date.

You droned out her voice and looked at some of the girls passing by. They were throwing appreciative glances over your boyfriend who was completely oblivious to it.

You looked at your intertwined hands before looking at his face.

You gotta admit…

It felt so good to have a boyfriend as handsome as him. You mentally sighed.

If only you were lively, funny, and sweet…

Maybe then you would’ve been my dream guy...

Maybe then I would’ve fallen in love with you...

 

 

“Sorry! Sorry! Xiumin had been a bad oppa. Will you forgive him, Jagiya?” you turned to see Yin's boyfriend bowing incessantly to her.

“Stop that, oppa. People are looking,” Yin said and her boyfriend stopped.

“But you’re still mad… Please stop being mad, Jagiya… Sorry…” he leaned closer to her, gave her the puppy eyes, and pouted cutely.

Yin was trying hard to look mad at her boyfriend. But being her best friend, you knew that any second now, she was going to crack. You both were a er for anything cute.

Her eyebrows twitched for a while, and then she gave in.

“Aish, oppa.”

She slapped both of his cheeks lightly with her hands, and then pinched it.

“Cute…” you unconsciously cooed out loud, getting everyone’s attention.

Yin blushed while Xiumin widely smiled.

“Oh, ______. This is Xiumin Oppa. Oppa, this is _________, my best friend.”

Xiumin bowed slightly and reached out his hand for you to shake, and you copied his movements.

“And Oppa, This is Lay, _____’s boyfriend.”

Xiumin shook his hand as well.

“I’m really sorry for making you guys wait. I got a little lost along the way,” he chuckled as he rubbed the back of his head.

“No, it’s okay. We aren’t late yet anyway,” you said, referring to the movie you were scheduled to watch.

 

 

Yin chose a romantic movie since this was a date.

The four of you went inside the cinema and looked for good seats.

You were sitting in between Lay and Yin, with Xiumin on Yin’s other side.

Halfway through the movie, you heard soft giggling on your right and saw Yin hitting Xiumin lightly on his chest. Xiumin whispered something to her, and she blushed and pinched his cheeks.

‘Aww… They’re so sweet… I’m jealous…’ you thought. You turned to your left and saw Lay watching seriously.

Your gaze then shifted to your still clasped hands. ‘Why do I feel so envious when I have you holding my hand? There’s no fluttering in my heart anymore. How much longer can we last?’

You sighed out loud making Lay look over to you.

“Is there something wrong?” he said, slightly surprising you.

“Oh. Nothing.. I just…” you turned your head to look at Yin and Xiumin again, “….forgot to bring the book I borrowed from Yin.” You looked at him and chuckled fakely. “Hope she forgot about it,” you whispered conspiratorially and gave him an awkward wink.  You then shifted your attention back to the movie.

 

 

All throughout, Lay kept on throwing you worried looks.

His dread only got worse as days passed. Your body language was getting worse. He was like waiting for a bomb to explode. He felt so helpless, he didn’t know what to do anymore.

The movie soon finished and the four of you decided to go for dinner.

Throughout the meal, Xiumin was talking eagerly about anything he could think of. The guy was so funny and that made all of you comfortable. You all had a good time.

It made you happy to see Yin so happy. Xiumin was the perfect guy for her. You felt relieved knowing that your best friend was with a guy who adores her. It was obvious with the way he  was doting on her, and how his eyes become so alive whenever he looks at her.

You mentally sighed for the umpteenth time. You were jealous of them. You were jealous of how happy they were and how their personalities jive. You were yearning for a relationship like that, and Lay failed to give it to you.

 

 

After the meal was done, you all bid goodnight and went your separate ways.

Lay was walking you home and it was silent between the two of you.

You were thinking hard on what to do with your relationship.

The chemistry between the two of you was dead, giving it a respirator would be useless… it wouldn’t work. You guys were beyond repair.

This is it. You finally decided that you couldn’t let this night end without breaking up with Lay.

“Oppa.”

He turned to look at you.

“I think we should break up.”

His eyes widened and he stopped walking. You did as well.

“This is not working for me anymore… it’s not working for us…” you looked into his eyes. “I tried… I really did… But I think our personalities just don’t match at all.”

Lay was about to protest when you interrupted him.

“Let me finish first, Oppa. I need you to hear me out,” you firmly requested. “Look, let’s not make this difficult than it’s supposed to. I’m not happy. You can’t make me happy. So let’s end this now before we make a complete fool of ourselves,”  you blew out a breath.

Lay was shocked. You hit right where it hurt. “I couldn’t make you happy?”

You looked at him incredulously. ‘Haven’t you noticed that?! It’s too obvious, it could be tangible.’

You looked at the ground. “Oppa, I know you tried… But to me, it isn’t enough…” you shifted your gaze back to him. “Maybe it’s me that is wrong. Maybe I’m too needy. I need more than what you can give me… Would you be happy if I stay with you knowing that I don’t want this anymore? Would it be fair for you to be with a girl who doesn’t want you? Would you be that foolish enough? Would you dare set yourself up to hurt?!”

The hurt you were inflicting on Lay got him speechless. He knew that your feelings for him were wavering; he had an idea. So why did it hurt as hell for him to hear you say that?

He approached you and held your arms; stress and hurt written over his face.

“I know that I’m lacking… But tell me! Tell me what you want, damn it!” he raised his voice. The first time he did so in your presence.

He was mad.

You were so surprised that you stiffened in his arms.

Fortunately for you, he noticed, and he forced himself to calm down. He heaved out a huge breath, and then turned his pleading eyes on you.

“Tell me…  Please tell me so I could love you better…” he said softly. He had never looked more pathetic.

His words didn't even register to you, you were just eager for this whole thing to be over. You closed your eyes and pushed him away.

“No, oppa. It’s useless. I don’t want you anymore. Just accept this. We both deserve better than this. We’ve been only dating for… what? Three months? It won’t be hard for you to get over this. You’ll find a better girl than me. It won’t be difficult for you to find one.”

Lay was silenced and looked at the ground. He couldn’t bear looking at you anymore.

“So… Let’s end this. I’ll be leaving now. Have a good life,” you looked at him softly and turned to walk away.

 



Teasers for next chapter:

“You’re an you know?! I thought I was about to be murdered! Can’t you have the decency to show your irritating self normally?! Ugh. No… That smile won’t work... And don’t even try to act cute or I’ll punch you in the face!”

....................................................

“The , Lay. Your ex-girlfriend is currently dating my ex-boyfriend. this sh*t. That girl’s going down!”