Zhang Yixing

Hey! I Want You Back!

 

Booze, music, dancing, and other unmentionable activities... 

You could say it was a typical college party.

You were almost at your alcohol limit now. The day marked your third year of singlehood. You had been single for 3 years already and you knew how much it . It wasn’t because of lack of suitors. There just didn’t seem to be anyone of your type.

‘Why do the people I don’t like, want me; and those that I do like, don’t?’ you thought.

You decided to stop drinking and headed towards the dance floor instead; moving to the beat as soon as you passed through the crowd of wild people.

You always loved to dance and it shows. Your moves command attention from those around you. Guys would dance with you, but you would just normally turn away from them. You weren't into “dancing” with guys who wouldn’t even dance... guys who would just lean from side to side or do fist pumping. You feel embarrassed for them, you feel embarrassed “dancing” with them.

You moved to the other side of the floor and got lost into your own world dancing.

 

 

It was during a song after when you then felt a hand on your waist and your eyes opened. Through the dim lights, you saw a guy staring at you. Not just any guy. But a Hot guy with piercing eyes.

Oh My.

When he saw that you were finally looking at him, he dared to lean his body close to yours and started moving to the beat with you. You were shocked to see that he was dancing very well; extremely well to the point that you were starting to enjoy dancing with him.

The way he was moving his hips...

The way his eyes were never straying away from yours...

The way he was looking at you as if you were the iest woman alive...

You were feeling a foreign emotion.

This was definitely the hottest dance you’ve ever shared with anyone!

You could feel the blood pumping through your veins, and you couldn't help but to give him a smile to show how much you were enjoying the moment.  

Focusing on him, you weren't aware that his moves were faltering. All you noticed was the way he was looking at you, and then fact that his face was starting to get close to you. Suddenly tensing in reaction, you held your breath as you anticipated what he was about to do.

He moved his face next to yours, and you could feel his breath on your ear.

You knew he was about to say something to you. 

But before he could even do it, someone ruined the moment. You were having the time of your life when Yin, your best friend, came and pulled you away rudely.

 

 

“Hey! What was that?! This better be good or I swear your eye balls are the only parts of your body that wouldn’t be black and blue!” you shouted while she dragged you outside.

She scowled in annoyance. “You’re dad called me and told me he’s home, and that you should be as well. He said you wouldn’t want him mad.”

“Oh crap!” you slapped your forehead. You didn’t tell him about the party, thinking he’d be away and wouldn’t know anything.

“I’ll go and get the car. You wait here,” She hurriedly left.

You massaged your forehead and sighed heavily.

“Are you okay?” You were mildly surprised, instinctively touched your heart, and turned to the owner of the voice.

It was the guy you left on the dance floor.

“No-- I mean yes, I’m fine,” you stammered.

He quirked an eyebrow.

“I mean… no, I’m currently not. I’m in for some parent scolding tonight. But I’ll come out of it alive, and then I will be fine…” you chuckled awkwardly.

He just smiled and then it got uncomfortably silent.

You were somehow expecting and hoping that he followed you just so he could tell you what he wanted to tell you earlier, but he was just quietly standing next to you.

You chewed on your bottom lip and crossed your arms on your chest.

 “C’mon. What’s taking her so long?” you muttered to yourself.

You were slightly shivering, and he must have noticed since he removed his jacket and draped it across your shoulders.

“No, it’s okay…” you were about to take it off when he held it in place.

“I was wearing that jacket and I was still cold. You’re wearing less,” He then eyed you from head to toe.

“Mmm ... thank you, then,” you felt your cheeks blush from the action and he smiled.

“By the way, I didn’t get your name.”

“Oh! I’m ______.” You held out a hand for him to shake.

“Yixing. But you can call me Lay.” He then took your hands in his.

You saw that Yin’s car was nearing close and you offered to return Lay’s jacket to him, but he pushed it back to you.

“Use it. Keep it for a while.”

“But how will I return it?”

“Give me your phone.”

You did, and he keyed in his number and called it. At the same time, Yin’s car was already in front of the both of you.

He gave you back your phone and then pulled the car door open for you.

You stared at him for a second and smiled. “I’ll call you.”  

 

 

 

That was where it all started. The two of you kept in touch after that and eventually got together.  

As time passed by, you got to know more about him and learned things about him.

Yes, he’s handsome, dances well, a gentleman, and a couple of good things worthy of brownie points.

But after three months of dating, you concluded that your boyfriend is disappointingly: 

  1. ‘Serious and quiet’
  2. ‘A guy with poor sense of humour’
  3. ‘The person who contradicts you the most’

In short… you find him BORING and ANNOYING.

You wondered why he would even want to date you.

You wondered even more why you were still dating him.