Chapter 3

Valiant Attempt

chapterthree

 

“Good morning Mr Kim Jongin! Let's start on our work,“ Yoona entered his office cheerfully the next morning, excited to start on the new assignment given to her. But Kai seemed to show otherwise, he was laying back on his chair with his leg propped up on the desk and looking at his phone. He looked up and dismissed her off, “Maybe later, after lunch.” 

“B-but we need to work on the case. It's our first task and there is a lot to cover. “

Kai shook his head, still not looking up from his phone.

“Come on, it's only my second day of work and i need to set a good impression-“

“Shhhh, it’s alright, we will go after lunch okay? Now please leave-“

“Kim Jongin!” Yoona interrupted him and took 4 long strides to go closer to his face and stared at him. “I don’t care if you are some freaking rich guy that can’t be bothered with your work because you have all the money and back up but I don’t. And even if we don’t bring in wealth into the issue, I take pride in my work alright? I don’t care if you don’t but I’m stuck with you so please please please cooperate with me.” Her eyes softened when she finished and pleaded him.

Kai was surprised, but not amused by her temper. He was still irritated by her interruption whilst he was playing his game. He was winning and her annoying voice just had to disrupt him. Yes, other than his best friend Baekhyun and his father, no one had the rights to raised his voice to him.

"Get out." he dismissed her off coldly.

Yoona however was unfazed by his response. Instead she took a seat opposite his seat and started taking out the research that she had gathered up last night. She was not going to work with her- fine but since she had to work with him, she would do her work alongside with him with or without his cooperation.

"The case is about a young women, age 17, apparently she had committed sucide but the detectives that are working in this case highly doubt it." she started talking much to Kai's dismay. She continued flipping the report and started rattling off.

“However the physical evidence shows otherwise as they was no signs of struggles. The information that they had gathered so far from the interview with her mother was that she had depression since a year ago when they house was burnt down, alongside with her father. But her depression was only mild and she was actually coping well. They did not know what pushed her towards the edge. Therefore they assume that it could be someone affecting her emotionally, giving her a pushed inside.” She closed the folder. Despite the information being only minimal, it was like a self accomplishment. Because the information was not easy to find as the case was only set up 2 day before.

Much to her dismay, Kai stood up and proceed to the door.

"Kai," she called out, which caused him to halt his step. The name struck him painfully and he felt his chest tighten. "That's what your deceased best friend calls you right?" she took a step nearer to him and watch his expressions. "Do Kyung Soo, that's his name right? It was quite a big happening a few years ago when this case happened. A sucidal?"

"I'm not here to torment you about your past. In fact, both of us had a painful past. Neither am I here to get close to you and become friends with you. But since fate is not in our favor and both of us have to work together then let's just do it alright? This piece of information I gathered was just to show you the skill I have in digging out information." she added the last part a little too proudly. "And that I am not just some lazy, useless internship. I come here to help the company, whether I like it or not. So can you just do me a favor and just work with me? I don't care if you are not going to contribute. Just that Ms Seo wants us to work together and I have to get the job." she asked with her fingers crossed this time. 

Kai turned around- he was not entirely going to help her out or anything but he is going to give her a chance. A small chance, so small that one mistake and he's out of here.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“I’m Im Yoona, this is Kim Jongin and we are the reporters from the Kim Enterprise,” Yoona greeted to the receptionist seated in front. She nodded her head and led her to a lab. “Mr Oh is inside, he is one of the detective whom you are suppose to work with.” She told her before leaving them.

"Don't expect a warm welcome from t he detectives." Kai told her whilst watching her excited figure squirming around.

She stopped fidgeting, "Why?"

"Well to put it simply, reporters and detectives are never in good terms."

 

“Good Morning, are you Mr Oh Sehun?” they entered the room and saw a young lanky tall man with light brown hair in front of the computer wearing a dorky glass. He looked up and immediately stood up removing his glass and bowed. “I assume that you are Miss Im Yoona…and Mr Kim Jongin? The two reporters?” he asked. Yoona nodded enthusiastically and started proceeding towards him, Kai following her behind. “May we start asking you questions about the case?” she asked.

He stared at both of them and frowned. In fact, Sehun was not at all happy at the fact that two freaking reporters are working along in the case. They are completely irrelevant to the case and their presence alone might even affect the case. 

"What do you want to know?" he asked coldly and turned his back towards them. 

"Well, we did our research," Yoona handed him the folder with all the information she had found in the research. Sehun skimmed through the information and his frown went deeper. "How do you find all these information?"

"Well, Ijust dig up-"

"Did you use any illegal ways to hack into the system?" he glared into her eyes, trying to find out if she's going to lie.

"No! I will never resort to such ways." she gasped. The hostile attitude from Sehun was really unnecessary. 

"I'm just checking. We are going to interrogate someone later. We haven't gather much information yet so maybe you can come again another time." he returned the folder. 

"You on't have to be so rude Sehun," Luhan chuckled when he entered the room which cause Yoona to freeze. What the hell is he doing here?

"I work here Yoona. There are two detectives working in this case." he smiled as reading her thoughts.

Sehun cleared his throat, "You know her?" 

Luhan nodded his head, "Childhood...friends." he added the last part with a slight playfulness in his voice.

"Well then thank you to both of you, we will see you again soon to come back and get more information about the case, " she quickly left the room, grabbing Kai out of it as well.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Okay Krystal, best friend of the deceased Amber, the same age as Amber, 17 this year had been friends with her for 5 years. There are many loopholes in this, and we need to find out. “ Sehun explained to Luhan before arriving at the destination. "Do you interrogate or do I?"

"You will do it." Luhan replied. Sehun nodded at the older man and started ringing the doorbell. The door opened and a young seventeen years old girl answered the door.

 

Krystal was a very pretty girl, but she looked just like any ordinary pretty girl face. She’s skinny and tall, and greeted them with a smile. “I’m Oh Sehun, this is Xi Luhan and we are from the Seoul Police Investigation Force, we are here to ask you a few simple question about your best friend, Amber.” He paused when he noticed the way she flinched when he said the word ‘best friend’, Luhan jotted that down before Sehun continued, "Can we come in?” Krystal nodded and led them into her cozy apartment.

 

“Amber and I used to stay in this apartment together. We shared the rental fees and electricity fees. We were very close and she was almost like a sister I never had.” She came back with two cups of water and served them.  “We’ve known each for 4, wait no 5 years? Honestly I lost count of it.” She laughed shakily before taking a deep breath and continued.” I had a attitude problem back then, and maybe a little now too, nobody in my school liked me because of my attitude, but it wasn’t something that I could control, I mean I tried to be nice but some people deserve the attitude. Amber however managed to see through the y me and was actually the first person, other than my parents who thought that I was actually a nice girl, and I guess we hit it off then pretty well. I mean she could tolerate my attitude and mood swings, honestly I would want a boyfriend like her,” she giggled at the memory.

"The location you are located at right now- the rental fees are relatively high, how do you and Amber managed?" Sehun questioned.

"Well, I am from a wealthy family and Amber worked at a fast food outlet as a part time job. Okay well our rent wasn't split proportionally. I paid 70% of the rent and amber paid 30%." she explained.

 

“Is it true that Amber had depression ever since her father died?” Luhan asked as he looked up from his laptop and observed her. “Yes…” she muttered as she looked down to her fingers, “It was a unfortunate case because I wasn’t there for her.”

“What do you mean that you were not there for her?”

“I was away with my family to USA, therefore I was not there to comfort her. In fact she didn’t even tell me about the tragedy.” She shook her head; her eyes had a glint of bitterness. “I wish she did though, at least regard me as her best friend,” she sighed.“But she was coping with her depression pretty well, I did not know why would she commit suicide. I couldn’t put a finger to it.”

 

“Alright Krystal, thank you for your cooperation, we will get back to you.” Sehun stood up and shook her hands.

“Okay, but it’s a sucide case right? I don’t get why it needs investigations.” she confronted him.

Sehun smiled at her warmly, “ We are just making sure.”

 

 

(a/n) UPDATE FOR Y'ALL! YAY

Oh and some of your comments got deleted :( I'm so upset >:( this probably shows how much every single one of your comments means to me, cause it does mean a lot :) i read y'all comments for inspiration and support sometimes<3