chapter one

Valiant Attempt

chapterone

 

 

He was there. As she walked home, she could feel his presence, even in the darkness of the night. Yoona bit her lips and looked around. Despite the fact that this whole creepy thing seemed dangerous, she however did not feel scared or insecure for she knew that he would never hurt her. But she did felt uncomfortable, he shouldn’t be doing this.

She had wrenched her heart out, forced her tears in and glued every single piece of herself back painstakingly and tried to move on. She almost did but it gets hard at times and him being around her wasn’t helping in this situation. It was wrong, not right at all. He should stop. It was better for both of them to stop seeing each other. After all, when the past becomes unbearable, they should stop dwelling on it and move on.

“Luhan stop following me.” She stopped walking and took a long, deep breath. She looked around and tried to spot him, she knew he was there and it was stupid of her to be so wary. But she knew that he wouldn’t show himself, for he knew that he would be greeted by a fuming Yoona lashing at him to stop following her, and the same old painful words that he didn’t want to hear. He would quietly follow her home and stay by the bench near her home, the perfect spot to the view of her bedroom and watch as the light dimmed before going back. He would stay devotedly by her side even if she did not want him to.

Yoona let out an exasperated sigh and flung her hands in frustration before quickening her pace back home.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   

 “Miss Im Yoona?” the receptionist called out. Yoona immediately stood up and smoothened the unnoticeable crease of her black pencil skirt that tucked in a smooth white office blouse. Her hair was tied neatly and she clutched her black purse anxiously as she awaited further instructions.

“This way to your desk Miss Im” the receptionist guided her to a small part of the bustling office. There laid a small wooden desk and a dingy small chair. She thanked the receptionist and placed her things on the table. This wasn’t what she wanted-no. She studied hard and got her degree, she pursued her studies in psychology in hope to be an efficient profiler but she couldn’t make it. Not when she needed money to pay her parent’s debt off, not when she needed to find a job, not when the money wasn’t enough. She stopped her studies, and with the education she had right now, this was the best she can be. She managed to get a internship at a very famous media company. It was the best she could go and she was gratefulShe took out her laptop and sat on the chair as she tapped her fingers lightly on the worn table, waiting for new assignments to do.

“Miss Im Yoona?” She looked up at the call of her name. It belongs to a feminine, yet stern-looking office lady. The lady assessed her, her eyes trailing Yoona from head to toe, studying her expression as well. Yoona tried to look confident and hid her nervousness and she looked back at her eyes. “You are the….new girl right?” She flinched at the word girl for the women standing in front of her didn’t look any older than she was. She nodded curtly back. “I’m Seo Joohyun, some call me Seohyun but you shall address me as Ms Seo for I am in charge of grooming you to be a successful and efficient journalist.”

“Being a journalist in this company isn’t a easy task, since millions of people purchase the newspaper every day. The Kim enterprise does not tolerate laziness and imperfection. You have to be a perfectionist and a diligent worker. So do not expect me to be lenient in all the work I assigned you to do understand?” Seohyun looked at her to find any hint of fear or any emotion that showed her weaknesses.

Yoona gave her a smile and buried all her feelings deep inside. She was good at hiding her feelings, and it came in handy at times such times. “I understand, and I will work my hardest, I look forward into serving the Kim enterprise.” She had it all memorized secured in her brain, on what to say, what to do, how to act. She had it all planned out, after all she did not want to make a mistake anymore.

“Okay, I need my morning coffee everyday at 8am sharp so I do expect you to get it for me every working day…” She paused as she took a glance at her watch, “It’s 8.30am now, so hurry along and get my coffee. I only drink Starbucks and there is one down the road, espresso please.” With that she turned and walked away, leaving bewildered Yoona staring at her back.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Stupid, idiotic Seo Joohyun, Seohyun, whatever!” She said in frustration as the lift door opened. She walked out angrily, taking big steps and stared at the ground furiously, as if the ground itself had offended her. She did not see a young man around her age with a bored and not amused expression standing near the lift door, his fingers encircled around a black folder.

“Oh sorry!” she apologized as her head bumped directly into his muscular and hard chest. She looked up to see the victim of her head-crash, and was greeted with a cold and handsome face. He shook his head and gently shoved her off before entering the lift quickly and jabbed the buttons. “It wasn’t intentional!” she said before the doors closed.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Kai,” Seohyun breathed as a familiar masculine tall man entered the office.

Kai threw the black folder on Seohyun’s table, “The statistics,” he reported.

“I know that Kai, and thank you for bringing it to me.” Seohyun gingerly picked up the black folder he threw and read the details, although it was unnecessary. Kai looked, noticing that there wasn't any reason for his presence, stood up and headed towards the exit.

 

“Wait!” she called him back. He turned around; his cold expressionless face greeted her. “Want to have lunch later on? “ She asked nervously as her face flushed in embarrassment. He shook his head and walked out of the room, almost too quickly, as if to avoid any questions from her.

 

"Your Starbucks coffee," Yoona slamed the receipt on the table and place the coffee next to it. The coffee cost a hefty six dollars it was more than the amount of money she was willing to spend on her lunch. Seohyun glared at her. Such rude behavior was not acceptable in the company and she should be aware. "What?" Seohyun asked, her voice sound like ice, cold and wary.

"I'm here to claim back the money." Yoona replied as a matter of fact. 

"You work as a internship here. You are getting paid. The cost of the coffees you have to buy everyday is included in your pay." she told her sternly and glanced at the stack of folders on the table.

"These," she pointed at them "are reports that need editing and checking. Complete them by today. Let this be a lesson learnt to not be rude. Such behavior is unacceptable."

 

 

(A/n) So I've decided to present to you the first chapter and maybe the teaser another day but please please please do note that updates would be very very very slow alright? So I've present to you the 3 main characters in the story, and maybe 4 if you count Seohyun, So do anticipate more from the story!