Words that are left unspoken

It All Started with A Dare

With a heavy heart, Luhan travelled back home after school with his head hanging low.  Opening the front door of his house, Luhan was greeted by the image of his mom walking around with an apron and his uncle helping his mom with the cooking.

“You’re back Luhan?  Want to have noodles as dinner?” Luhan’s mom asked him.

“Anything’s fine mom.” Luhan answered his mom half-heartedly as he trudged up the stairs.  Luhan’s mom raised an eyebrow at his behavior and noticed that something was wrong.

"That kid must have had girl problems at this age", Luhan's (gay uncle) said while tasting the soup he made.

Although he lied back on his comfortable and cozy bed, Luhan couldn’t rest in peace.  His mind recalled back the embarrassing memories that happened that day and his pride got hurt once more.

Why does everyone think I’m gay?!  I’m just a normal guy who wants to date a girl…

Luhan sighed for the umpteenth time that day.  Turning his head to the left, Luhan spotted his handphone lying next to him and reached for the device.  Luhan stayed still for a moment, contemplating on his actions, before searching for the name ‘Han Sooyeon’ in his contacts.

With fiddling fingers, Luhan typed in a message and pressed the word ‘send’ without any hesitation.  Luhan finally let out a breath he didn’t even know that he had been holding in and stared at his phone with hopeful eyes.

--------------------------

On the other side, you were working on your homework diligently.  You were feeling quite sleepy and decided to call it a day until you heard your phone vibrate next to your books.

You took the phone and checked it, only to have your eyes widen to see that it was a message from Luhan.

What could he possibly want with me?  Didn’t I already apologize to him already? You thought to yourself as you opened the message.

Hey, this is Luhan.  I was wondering if I could possibly talk to you for a moment tomorrow at school?  Sorry for disturbing you if you were doing anything important.

“Something to tell me?  I wonder what it is.” You thought aloud and curiosity got the best of you as you typed in back a short reply.

Sure.  Where and when do you wanna talk?

Luhan quickly sat up from his bed as soon as he heard his phone beep.  “She actually replied!” Luhan said in disbelief and a smile creeped onto his face.  This time, with confidence, Luhan sent back a reply.

On the rooftop during lunch recess.  You know, the place where we met.  Is that okay with you?

You looked at the phone, expecting a reply and true to your thoughts, your phone vibrated in your hands.  You read the message and if you didn’t knew better, it felt like Luhan was going to confess his undying love for you.  You laughed to yourself at the thought, knowing it was completely impossible.

But soon your laughter stopped when a sudden realization came to you.

Maybe he is going to confess his undying love to me.  His undying love for SEHUN!  You felt yourself growing dizzy at the possibility.  After all, everyone knew that Sehun and Luhan were inseparable since middle school.  Luhan could’ve probably developed feelings for Sehun during those times. 

You grabbed your head and it to chase away those thoughts.  “It couldn’t be…  could it?”  You asked yourself, unsure.

----------------------

The next morning, when you walked through the front gates of the school, you spotted Sehun and Luhan walking to school in front of you.  They both were talking to each other about something and so didn’t notice you walking behind them.

Staring at the broad back of Sehun, you felt butterflies flying in your tummy and had the sudden urge to put your face against his warm back.

Then your eyes drifted towards Luhan, and remembered yesterday night. 

I wonder what he’s going to tell me today. You thought to yourself and lightly hit your head with your fist when thoughts about Sehun and Luhan swarmed into your head.  Stop thinking about that!

And just at that moment, Luhan, who felt something move behind him, turned around and met eyes with you.  You froze in your position and meekly smiled at him, a bit disappointed because Sehun was still facing to the front.

“Hey good morning.” Luhan greeted with a smile.  Sehun finally turned around since Luhan wasn’t walking together with him and looked at you.  You almost felt like you could faint at that moment.

Sehun’s actually looking straight at me in the face!  What a great way to start my day! You mentally squealed in your head.

Luhan waved his hand in front of you, and you broke away from your thoughts.  “Ah, yes.  Good morning!” You cheerfully chirped.

“Hyung, you know her?” Sehun asked Luhan, still looking at you with an unreadable expression.

You turned to look at Luhan with expectant eyes.  “Yeah, she’s a friend of mine.  We just met not too long ago.  This is Han…” Luhan stopped in the middle of his introduction because he forgot your name.

You, on the other hand, grew a bit surprised at his choice of word.  I didn’t know that he already acknowledges me as a friend.  I guess he’s not a bad person.

“Han…  Han…” Luhan repeated, trying to recall your name.  Fortunately, you noticed and spoke up your name. 

“Sooyeon.  Han Sooyeon.” You said, every moment always looking at Sehun with lovestruck eyes.  “Ah yes, Han Sooyeon.” Luhan finally remembered and grew embarrassed at his incapability of saying her full name.

You, on the other hand, didn’t even care.  As long as he introduced you to Sehun, you were okay with anything.

“And Sooyeon, this is Sehun, my best friend.” Luhan introduced and you eagerly stuck out a hand.  “Nice to meet you.” You said, a bit too energetically.  Were you finally going to touch the hand of your crush?

Your legs felt wobbly and your head grew dizzy all of sudden when you felt a warm hand enclose over your small one.  Yes I was! You screamed to yourself as you tried to fight down the blush creeping up on your face.

“You too.” Sehun replied amiably with a shake of his hand.  When Sehun released his hand, your face immediately showed traces of disappointment at the loss of warmth. 

Luhan, on the other hand, observed everything by the sidelines.  Unlike his best friend, Luhan wasn’t oblivious to the hearts coming out of Sooyeon’s eyes.  Although he was amused at the situation, he couldn't help but feel jealous of Sehun at the same time for easily capturing girls' hearts without intending to.

What does he have that I don't?  Luhann dejectedly sighed at the thought.

“Since we’re all heading in the same direction, why don’t you tag along with us?” Luhan told you and you eagerly agreed right away.

You smiled like a fool, walking beside your crush and sneaked glances from time to time.  Sehun didn’t seem to notice anything while Luhan rolled his eyes at your obvious behavior.

Feeling like the atmosphere was too quiet, you tried to think of a topic to speak about.  You suddenly then recalled the text messages that you and Luhan exchanged last night and opened your mouth to question him.  “Oh right, about the text messages yesterday night-”

You only finished your sentence midway when Luhan abruptly laughed as he slapped you on the back.  “Hahaha, that joke was so funny, Sooyeon!” Luhan said, laughing wildly, while you looked at him as if he was some kind of psycho, rubbing the place where he had beaten you.

“What joke?” Sehun joined in, curious.  Before you could open your mouth to tell him that you didn’t know, Luhan was already speaking up again.

“You don’t get to know because you didn’t listen.” Luhan told his friend, causing him to frown.  But fortunately for Luhan, Sehun didn’t continue to ask any more questions.

Luhan then turned to look at you and he gestured you to keep quiet.  “Not now.” Luhan whispered and you could only look back at him in confusion.

When you guys arrived to the entrance of the school, students started staring at you and gossiping among themselves.  You grew really uncomfortable when you felt 4 particular pairs of eyes locked onto you as if you were their prey.

Jiyeon, Hyomin, Soyeon and Eunjung looked at you in distaste and whispered among themselves.  You knew that you were going to get bullied by them soon by you didn’t care anymore.  To walk beside Sehun to school was a dream come true and you wanted to relish this moment a bit longer.

As soon as you guys walked up to the front doors of the school, Hyomin and her posse sauntered towards your group. 

“Hi oppas.” Hyomin purred with her seductive voice.  Jiyeon, on the other hand, tried to get Luhan’s attention by flipping her hair but failed miserably when her hair whipped her face.  She is the type to try out for almost all the boys' attention even if she doesn't like them.

You tried to suppress a chortle at the scene.  You realized what you had just did and prayed that you Jiyeon didn’t see you laughing at her.  Your prayers seemed to be answered because Jiyeon didn’t seem to notice anything as her feline eyes were only on Luhan.

“Hey.” Luhan greeted back, his face etched with uncomfortableness.  Sehun looked like he wanted to escape and his wish was granted when he spotted the rest of their friends inside the school building.

“Sorry, we have to go now; our friends are waiting for us.  See you later.” Sehun apologized, not feeling sorry, as he nudged Luhan to get moving along.  Luhan mentally sighed in relief as he managed to break a smile to the girls.

“Bye.” Luhan said and was about to leave with Sehun until he saw you still standing there, continuing to look at Sehun with those lovestruck eyes.  “Lunch break.  Rooftop.” Luhan mouthed the words to you while be dragged off by Sehun.

Fortunately, you managed to catch his words as you curtly nodded your head in response.  Luhan smiled, glad that you managed to understand him, and walked off with Sehun’s arm over his shoulder.

Only you and Hyomin’s posse were left.  You tried to sneak away from the group but Soyeon managed to catch you by the hem of your shirt.

“I don’t like you one bit.  And I don’t like that you’re hanging out with my oppas.  This is my first and last warning; stay away from them or I’ll make you stay away from them.” Hyomin threatened as her manicured finger poked your shoulder harshly.

Part of you wanted to slap the b*tch back to her senses but you decided it would get you into trouble with the teachers and create a big scene.  Also, you didn’t want to give Sehun a bad impression.  So keeping your mouth firmly shut, you slowly nodded your head.

Hyomin smirked as she brushed off your school shirt like she was your long lost friend.  “See you around.” Hyomin said and her posse left the scene, throwing dirty glares at you.

As soon as they were gone, you clenched your fists and let out a huff in anger.  Calm down Han Sooyeon.  They aren’t worth your time.

So you silently headed to your classroom and immediately brightened up when you saw your two best friends waiting for you in the class.

Class hadn’t started yet and the teacher had yet to arrive, so you decided to fill in Miyoung and Mirae a bit about your situation.  Of course, you decided to leave out the most important fact that they had gotten the wrong guy.  You didn’t want to disappoint your besties after all they went through for you.

*I’ll probably tell them next time when this whole situation cools down.*  You promised to yourself.

“And so, he’s asking me to meet with him on the rooftop during recess.” You told them, causing Mirae and Miyoung squealed in delight.

“This is all happening to fast!  He’s going to ask you to be his girlfriend!” Miyoung assumed.  “I doubt it.  I’m sure he just has something to say.” You said, knowing that what Miyoung had just said could never be a possibility.  Uneasiness swirled into your chest when you thought about what Luhan had to say and about the small possibility that it could be about Sehun.

“What do you say to a person when he confesses that he’s gay for his friend?” You suddenly asked out of nowhere.  Miyoung and Mirae just stared at you for a moment in silence until they burst out into laughter.  Other students in the room, who were trying to finish up assignments that were assigned decades ago, shot them dirty looks in annoyance.

You were about to bow your head in apology but Miyoung was much faster than you.  “What are you looking at?  It’s not our fault that you guys don’t finish your work in time.” Miyoung shot back.

That seemed to do the trick as most of the students just returned back to their work, not forgetting to shoot glares at the girl.

“Back to the main subject!  You can’t possibly think that Luhan is going to tell you that he’s gay!  Just because he has a face like a girl doesn’t mean that he is one.  You watch too many K-Dramas, Sooyeon.” Mirae said.  “I’m just saying…” Sooyeon mumbled, a bit embarrassed now.

At that moment, the teacher arrived and the whole class room chorused in greeting.  “We’ll talk about this later.” Mirae reminded as she took her seat.

After two tedious periods of History, the bell finally rang and the students silently pumped their fist in the air.  Linking arms with your two friends, you started to head towards the cafeteria.  But Mirae and Miyoung apparently stayed rooted onto their spot.

“Have you totally forgotten that Luhan is waiting for you?” Miyoung told you.  “I know, but I don’t really feel like meeting him.” You muttered.

“Your long-time crush is asking you to meet with him in private and yet you don’t want to go?” Miyoung said in disbelief.

“Stop being scared.  It’s gonna be okay; don’t make us force you to go like last time.” Mirae warned you.

“Alright, I get it.” You finally said in defeat as you went to the opposite direction from your friends.  “Fighting Sooyeon!  Go find your love!” They both cheered as you could only offer a weak smile in return.

Reaching the stairs that lead to the rooftop, you tried your best to take as much time as you could going up.  Unfortunately, you arrived there much sooner than you expected.  Taking a deep breath, you opened the knob of the door and was met with the beautiful blue sky decorated with clouds and with…  no one.

“Was he just kidding around?” You asked yourself in doubt.  Glad to see that no one was in sight, you wasted no time to turn around and reach for the door until it slammed into your face, causing you to tumble towards the ground with your big glasses right dropping next to you.

“Owww!” You cried as a surge of pain grew on your face.  Luhan, who was on the other side of the door, looked at you with wide eyes as he quickly ran to your side.  “Oh my gosh!” Luhan gasped as he tried to take a look at your face. 

You were a bit angry with him but forgave him easily, knowing that it was just an accident.  “I’m fine.” You assured as you tried to stand up with the help of Luhan.

“I’m so sorry!  I didn’t know that you were standing on the other side of the door.  I really am sorry!” Luhan apologized profusely.   

Great, this is why girls don’t like you.  You stupid Luhan.  Luhan mentally scolded himself.

Just then, Luhan’s eyes widened into saucers as he pointed to your nose.  “You’re bleeding!” He exclaimed.

You touched your nose and sure enough, blood was stained on your fingertips.  “I’m bleeding…?!” You shrieked.  “Calm down, lift your head and face the sky.” Luhan advised while digging in his pockets for his handkerchief.  You did as told, hoping that there weren’t any bloodstains on your uniform. 

“Here, use this for a while.” Luhan said, holding out his handkerchief.  “I can’t use that.  It’ll get dirty.” You refused, covering your nose. 

“It’s okay.  This is my entire fault anyways.” Luhan assured as he gently removed your hand from your nose and replaced it with his handkerchief.

You flinched a bit when the soft cloth touched your sore nose but thanked Luhan nonetheless. 

“Do you think you need to see the nurse?” He asked in concern.

You opened your mouth to say no but your nose went numb with the intense pain.  “…I guess so.” You finally gave in.  “Yeah, you wouldn’t want to get a swollen nose for the rest of the day would you?” Luhan teased with a soft smile.

“Of course not!  That would be embarrassing.” You muttered.  “I’ll send you off to the infirmary then.  That’s the least I can do.” Luhan offered.  “No, it’s okay.  I can go with my friends.” You assured him, holding the handkerchief dearly to your nose.

“Nonsense.  Come on, let’s go.” Luhan said as he grabbed your wrist and before you could even protest, you both were already walking down the stairs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After minutes of being dragged around by Luhan, you both were finally standing in front of the doors of the school's infirmary. Luhan decided to peek inside the infimary while you were panting behind him, trying to catch your breath after running down all those stairs.

"It seems like the nurse isn't in." Luhan spoke as he opened the door for you to come in. "Shouldn't we come back later then?" You told him but nevertheless, you took a timid step forward into the infirmary. You were still holding the handkerchief to your nose but fortunately, the bleeding from your nose seemed to have stopped.

Luhan seemed to have ignored your question as he walked around the room, searching for something. He started opening up random drawers and shelves. Your eyes widened at the act as you tried to stop him.

"Stop, you'll get into trouble!" You hissed but Luhan once again, didn't seem to hear you as he continued on his search.

You sighed in defeat, giving up on Luhan and you decided to focus on your injured nose for now.

"Found it!" Luhan exclaimed as he took out a first aid kit from a drawer from the nurse's desk. "Sit here." Luhan said, motioning you to sit on one of the beds in the infirmary.

You opened your mouth to say no and that you were fine but Luhan grew impatient as he took your arm, causing you to yelp in surprise, and dragged you to the bed. You had no choice but to plop down on the bed with a grim expression. Luhan removed the handkerchief from your grasp and tried to manage his expression at the sight of your face.

The area around your nose was already dried with blood and your nose seemed to have swelled a bit. "How do I look? Is it bad?" You asked in worry.

Luhan cleared his throat. "Umm, nothing wrong. You look perfectly fine." Luhan tried to assure you.

Your eyes widened as your bottom lip trembled a bit. "Oh my goodness, I look horrible, don't I?" Luhan was at a lost of words for that and so he turned his attention to the first aid kit.

Opening up the first aid box, Luhan scanned the materials and medicine inside. "I have some ointment that can help relieve the pain in your nose as well as stop the swelling. Do you want that?" Luhan asked, turning to look at you.

"I don't want anything. I just want to go." You complained but in a breath when Luhan's face came closer to yours.

"Hold still." Luhan ordered as he dabbed a cotton, soaked in water, to clean the blood around your nose. You flinched at the cool sensation yet your face burned with embarrassment at the thought of a guy cleaning up your bloody nose.

"W-What do you think you're doing?" You asked, trying to sound angry but you failed since your voice came out in a quivering voice.

"I'm cleaning up your nose first." Luhan said as he reached behind for a new patch of cotton, turning away from you. You finally let out a breath you didn't know you've been holding.

"Want me to clean the insides of your nose? I could do it but I'm just asking." Luhan asked, half-joking and half-earnest. Your face flamed up at the suggestion as you let out a gruff 'I'll do it myself!' and grabbed the cotton from his hands.

Turning away from Luhan, you cleaned your nose and made sure that no more blood was remaining in your nose. After finishing up cleaning, you threw the cotton into the rubbish bin next to the bed.

"I'll just apply this to stop the swelling." Luhan said as he squeezed out a certain amount of ointment onto his index finger.

"I'm fine." You tried to tell him but once again, Luhan ignored your question as he cupped your chin with his other hand. You felt your heart jumping in your chest and you suddenly found it hard to breathe. Even though your faces weren't THAT close to each other, you could clearly see every detail of Luhan's face.

Luhan, on the other hand, didn't notice how you were hyperventilating and instead was focused on your injured nose. You felt a soft pressure on your nose and you let out a small yelp in surprise. "Sorry, I'll be gentler." Luhan apologized as he applied the ointment more softly on your nose.

You didn't dare to look at Luhan a second longer and you averted your gaze to the cracks in the ceiling. "Done." Luhan said with a satisfied smile.

"Finally." You let out a sigh of relief as you got up to your feet. "Do you want to have a bandage on your nose?" Luhan asked and you shook your head in reply. "It's alright. Besides, I'll end up looking more silly with the bandage on." You clarified. Luhan let out a small laugh at your answer, causing you to crack a smile.

"You should try ditching your glasses. You look prettier without them." Luhan complimented you. You scratched your head in embarrassment of the compliment as you tried to fight down the blush crawling up to your cheeks.

Just then, the doors of the infirmary swung open and in came the school's nurse, walking in with a bunch of files in her arms.

The nurse let out a shriek when she noticed you two in her office, almost dropping her files at the same time. "Oh my goodness, you scared me. What are you students doing here?" The nurse demanded as she placed the files on her desk.

"How many times to I have to tell you kids? The infirmary is not a place where you couples can come in and date." The nurse reminded with a firm voice.

You and Luhan both looked at each other for a silent moment, soaking in the nurse's words, until you both turned to look at the nurse with wide eyes.

"We're not dating!" You and Luhan both shouted at the same time. The nurse raised an eyebrow at this.

"I-I accidently hurt her nose so I just came here to get her treated, Mrs. Song." Luhan explained, not wanting to create any more awkward moments with you.

The nurse, now known as Mrs. Song, scrutinized the both of you for a while and then broke out into a sly smile.

"Aigoo, kids these days. Guys shouldn't be so rough to girls. No matter how much you love each other, I advise to kiss with less passion. That way, no one will get hurt." Mrs. Song advised with a slight chuckle in her voice.

Luhan's jaw dropped down to the floor and you did the same. You both were at a lost of words.

"You done here? Do you need help?" Mrs. Song asked as she observed your swollen nose.

"Wow, this is no joke. How did you guys even did that for this to happen? Well, your nose seems to have been treated already. You're good for now. Now hurry up and go before recess ends." The nurse commanded as she pushed the two of you out of the infirmary.

The door slammed shut behind you two and suddenly the atmosphere was too awkward. You felt like you could suffocate from the awkwardness and Luhan suddenly didn't know what to talk about. You two fidgeted about your positions, not daring to look at each other. Fortunately, the bell rang and you felt your heart burst with relief.

"Umm, well there goes the bell. I have to go now. Thank you a lot for... my nose." You pointed to your nose but managed to shoot Luhan a grateful smile.

"No problem. Well, I guess we can't talk today, can we? I'll just talk to you tomorrow then." Luhan told you. "But you could tell me what you want to say right now. Besides, tomorrow is Saturday so I can't meet you at school." You grumbled, your curiousity eating you up.

"Then I'll call you tomorrow." Luhan said with a bright smile as he ran off to his next class.

You, on the other hand, let out a frustrated groan. "Geez, why does he have to torture me like this?" You muttered to yourself. You then checked out the time on your wristwatch and your eyes widened into saucers.

"Late!" You shrieked as you scampered off to your Pre-Calc class.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hi  there everybody! Here's your update! I couldn't do a double update like others do when they comeback but I made a long chapter instead! HOPE you Like this chapter like I do. And Thanks to tofuuchan(n iluvtofu) for the help in proofreading but sadly she could only help me halfway for some reasons. Anyway, I'd appreciate if you leave a comment for me.