Pretend Girlfriend

It All Started with A Dare

It has been three days after you met Luhan at the cafe. However, it has been three days since you’ve been avoiding Luhan like the plague at school because you weren’t ready to face the whole situation yet.  What good would it do for me to take up his offer anyways?  You thought to yourself deeply, even though you were currently in your Biology class and should be listening to your teacher rant about stem cell research.  

This whole idea is just so weird!  You told yourself.  However, Luhan’s request kept rewind itself in your head.

"C-Could you be my girlfriend?" "I wasn't kidding.  I really need your help Sooyeon!” "It was just a dare from my friends.  They believed I could never get a girl to date me, and I wanted to prove them wrong.  Then I met you, and you seemed like a really nice girl."  "And besides, I don't want to get into a relationship with some random girl because I don't want any feelings to get involved.  I know that you like someone, and I can help you with that too."  

“There’s just no way I’m doing this.  I mean, if it was Sehun that asked me this request, I would’ve accepted it.  But if I accept Luhan’s request, Sehun would think we’re actually dating and that I’m taken.” You talked to yourself with a frown marked on your face.  You then let out a moan, from all that thinking and decision-making, and bumped your head on your desk.

Your teacher immediately stopped writing on the blackboard as he slowly turned to look at the source of the noise.  “Sooyeon-shi?  Is there something you’d like to say?” Your teacher asked, arms folded and unamused.  You abruptly stood straight up and mentally slapped yourself.  “U-Umm no, teacher.  I’m sorry.” You mumbled as you bowed in your seat in apology.  Your teacher cleared his throat, a bit satisfied with your answer, as he turned around to continue drawing the animal cell.

You lightly hit yourself in the head to reprimand yourself, while Miyoung and Mirae just looked at you in confusion.  Sooner or later, the bell rang and class was dismissed as Miyoung and Mirae walked up to your desk.  

"Sooyeon-ah, let's go to lunch." Miyoung said but you were too preoccupied in your thoughts to even hear her.  You were just sitting there like a statue, deep in thought.  Mirae looked at you worried as she waved her hand in front your face.  “Hey, are you okay?”

You finally woke up from your thoughts as you looked up to see them.  “Oh, huh?  What’s up?”

Miyoung just sighed as she asked, "Aren't you going to have lunch?"  

"Oh, class is dismissed already?  Alright, let’s get lunch.” You said as you absent-mindedly stepped out of your seat and walked towards the door, with Mirae and Miyoung tagging behind you with concern in their eyes.

"Are you sure you’re okay?" Mirae asked you as you three walked to the cafeteria.  “You seemed to be deep in thought in class today.”

“I’m okay.” You reassured her with a weak smile.  Mirae didn’t look convinced and was about to ask you more questions until you bumped into somebody at the corner.  “Oh, I’m so sorry.” You apologized fervently but froze when you heard a voice exclaim, “Han Sooyeon!” 

Don’t tell me…  You looked up and sure enough, there was Luhan with a huge grin on his face. “There you are!  I haven’t seen you in a while.” Luhan said, and you quickly noticed that Sehun wasn’t with him.

Mirae and Miyoung both exchanged looks as a devilish grin creeped on their faces, since they still think that Luhan is the crush of your life.  Miyoung whispered to you, “I see you two lovebirds need some time alone.”  Before you could drop to your knees and beg for them not to leave you, Mirae and Miyoung were already walking away.

“Sooyeon-ah, we’ll go ahead and grab you a seat at the cafeteria.  Unless you have someone else to sit with.”  Miyoung winked at Luhan and with a giggle, they both skipped to the cafeteria.  You felt like tugging all the hair from your head and living the rest of your life as a bald person.  This is so awkward…

“I haven’t heard from you so I was looking around for you.” Luhan said, as you meekly smiled at him.  “Ehehehe, I’ve been busy…?” You replied, and then regretted for giving such a dumb and cliché answer.  Luhan just gave you a small smile. “I’m sure you have.  I just wanted to ask you if you’ve thought about my… offer.”

"I-I'm still thinking about it." You mumbled. Seeing your reaction and your hesitancy, Luhan’s heart sank a bit.  He looked around to see if there was anybody nearby, which there wasn’t, and tried persuading you again. "Please, Sooyeon-shi.  I can help you out too.”

“But I don’t want Sehun to get the wrong idea that I like you.” You finally confessed.

“It’s not going to be like that.  While you’re my pretend girlfriend, you’ll get to hang out with him more often and get to know him better.  And after two months, just two months, we can stop with this act and I’ll tell Sehun everything.  I’ll help you guys get together then.”  Luhan assured you, with slight hope in his heart this time.

The gears in your head started to turn as you went deep in thought once more that day.  You hated how Luhan knew your weak spot, which was to be with Sehun, to know Sehun, and to be liked by Sehun.  Ugh, I hate how he sounds so convincing.  I hate it!  

Luhan waited for your response with hopeful eyes, and you felt bad when you saw how hopeful he looked about the whole situation.  You didn’t want to be the person who splashed cold water all over his dreams and hopes.  You looked away from his eyes, as you let out a deep sigh.  “Fine!” You declared as you stared at him straight in the eye.  “I’ll be your girlfriend.  Pretend girlfriend.”