Advisor Meeting II

Suddenly Royal (Tawaran Trilogy, #1)

07/26/12

Please do not take any offense from these political arguments!! I just needed something for Victoria and Nichkhun to argue about to show their personalities. I have no strong opinions about either side of these arguments.


            After the first advisor meeting, there were advisor meetings two times a week. The goal of these meetings was to come up with a political plan. The royals, their assistants, and the advisors would meet up and discuss the changes that they would make to the current government policies.

            Many of the policies were commonly agreed upon. For example, schools would provide brunch and lunch for students at school, as well as snacks in between mealtimes. However, some other things sparked discussion. Advisor Yusli mentioned that there had previously been a policy where magic was banned in public areas.

            “That doesn’t make sense,” Victoria stated outright. “Doesn’t Advisor Rasfin use magic to set up the house?”

            “There will be exceptions to this rule, of course,” Advisor Yusli quickly added, taken aback by Victoria’s quick decision.

            Surprisingly, Nichkhun agreed with Victoria. “It is still not a good idea because it will spark hatred toward one group. Non-magic users will think they have the law on their side, and magic users will feel that it is unjust.”

            “Just to play devil’s advocate,” Hyunseung began. “Won’t letting magic users have free reign in public places also be unfair and spark hatred?”

            “I think it is okay,” Victoria thought it over. “This is how we are right now, anyway. Magic is basically a skill that only a quarter of the population has. Like snake charmers and street vendors, everybody is good at different things. As long as everybody knows that it is wrong to steal and kill, then it is alright. We just don’t want magicians to take advantage of their magic and use it to steal and murder.”

            Nichkhun nodded. “Besides, it is apparent when somebody uses magic, since they need to take out a pouch of magic dust every time they do so.”

            Victoria continued Nichkhun’s thought. “What we need to do is to make sure that there is a way we can catch all types of criminals, whether they are magic users or not.”

            “Like a way to trace back actions?” Advisor Apuy asked.

            Nodding, Victoria continued. “But we also don’t want to invade their privacy.”

            The advisors agreed with this point. In the end, they decided to focus on increasing happiness and wealth before restricting the freedom of the magic users. It is only when people are not happy that they will begin stealing and committing crimes.

            Victoria smiled to herself. Maybe letting advisors know my opinions will not be that bad…

            However, other policy discussions do not go very well. When Advisor Yusli mentioned the policy that women are not allowed to participate in war, Victoria immediately said, “I disagree.”

            Nichkhun didn’t support her this time. “I don’t see what’s wrong with that.”

            “It is unequal,” Victoria replied, appalled.

            “Not only due to biological reasons, but also due to cultural reasons, the previous rulers have decided to make this a rule for the country,” Advisor Yusli explained.

            “I don’t like this rule,” Victoria was unrelenting. “It not only limits the women, but it limits our country’s power.”

            “Are you saying that women are stronger than men?” Advisor Apuy asked indignantly.

            “I am saying that it’s not right to make generalizations. There might be a woman who is stronger than another man. I am also saying that one woman might be smarter than another man,” Victoria tried to explain.

            “Of all the reincarnated kings and queens, you are the first to disagree on this point,” Advisor Yusli pointed out.

            Seeing that Victoria was trying hard to control her anger, Hyuna tugged on Victoria’s sleeve. She softly said, “Maybe you should leave this topic and come back to it later.”

            Unfortunately, Nichkhun did not hear Hyuna’s soft comment. He continued. “Victoria’s argument has truth to it, but it doesn’t apply to our country at this moment. We are still battling hunger and domestic wealth. We need to ensure a way to maintain the well-being of a family while also ensuring that the country has enough me—err, people to fight in the war.”

            Victoria’s voice was scarily quiet. “So you’re basically saying that women should stay where they belong.”

            “There’s a reason why women are put into that role,” Nichkhun stated.

            Hyuna could practically see the flames in Victoria’s eyes.

            With gritted teeth, Victoria began, “Why, you—“

            “Alright, that’s decided,” Advisor Yusli quickly stated. “Meeting is adjourned. We will continue next time.”

                                    ::::

            Although the meeting had finished, Victoria and Nichkhun were still arguing over this topic.

            Slamming open the door, Victoria charged in to the room and took off covering. When she heard the door close, she whipped back and shouted at Nichkhun, “How can you say such a thing? Women are put into that role for a reason?!”

            “If you truly listened to my point of view, you wouldn’t be this angered,” Nichkhun said coldly. “You’re just angry because you lost an argument.”

            “How dare you even say that?!” Victoria raged. “What makes you have the right to act all high and mighty?

            “I’m the king.”

            “Sure, you’re the king, but that doesn’t change the fact that you are a human being! All humans are born with the same rights! Women and men alike should be endowed with the same benefits and cursed with the same punishments!”

            “You say that when you were picked to be queen because of reincarnation? Because you are the reincarnated queen, you enjoy many more benefits.”

            “There was a contest!”

            “You can hardly say that the contest was fair! Come on, the last round, you had to show the advisors a birth mark!”

            There was a small pause before Victoria continued. “Well, well, then I shouldn’t have been picked to be queen in the first place!”

            Nichkhun let out a laugh. He faced away from her and crossed his arms. “We all know that you don’t want to be here. Just face it. Things have to be changed a little bit at a time. Humans are afraid of change. You included. People aren’t going to just suddenly accept the fact that females are allowed in the war, no matter how ‘correct’ it is.”

            This time, Victoria was at a complete loss of words. And she hated that. “You! You cowardly, spineless creature! How can you let this injustice just cruise by?!  If you think something is unjust, you speak out against it! You fight until you can’t fight anymore! You know what?! You’re just a King Wannabe! An advisor’s pet! Why don’t you go their feet? You’re pretty much doing the same thi—”

            Victoria had more to say to Nichkhun, but suddenly, the raging fire in her dissipated, and a calm feeling came over her. It was as if a different person was taking over her body. Damn it, she thought.

            Someone was taking over her body and controlling her movements. Her eyes readjusted to the light, and the image of the person in front of her changed along with the light. It was the same person, but somehow, she could see an aura, a bright green aura, surrounding him. Then, for some reason, her eyes began to water, and her free hand touched his face lightly.

            “I missed you so much,” she could hear herself saying. Victoria was aware of her actions, but she wasn’t controlling them. They were somehow done automatically. When her body reached out to hug ‘Nichkhun,’ Victoria lost her train of thought. All she could feel was comfort and peace. It was like last time. It was as if she was lying on clouds.

            After a few minutes, Victoria finally started to feel like she was in control of her body. Immediately, she pulled away from Nichkhun, who released her with matched speed.

            “That was the spell, but what just happened?” Nichkhun asked, confused. “Did you also feel like somebody was controlling you?”

            Victoria nodded. “Yeah, it felt like somebody was controlling me as well. Maybe it was a previous incarnation. Maybe that’s why I said ‘I missed you’ to you.”

            Nichkhun looked at her with a weird expression. “I didn’t know you believed in reincarnation.”

            “I don’t,” Victoria said, as if he was stupid for doubting her lack of faith. But then, she played over the whole sentence in her mind again. “How did you know that I didn’t believe in reincarnation? Anybody who didn’t believe in reincarnation would be sentenced to death in a second if they spoke out.”

            “Well, then. You should be dead by now,” Nichkhun told her.

            Victoria didn’t understand. “Because I told you?”

            “That too,” Nichkhun thought over. “But you told Taecyeon very clearly that you didn’t believe in those types of things.”

            “Oh,” Victoria remembered that day. “But I thought Taecyeon thought I was joking or something. It seemed like he wasn’t taking me seriously.”

            “He’s always like that,” Nichkhun told her. “Taecyeon pretends to agree with what everybody says, but he secretly thinks something else. That’s how he survives.”

            “I guess that’s a good strategy.” Victoria reasoned. “I would never be able to do that. I always have to speak my mind.”

            Nichkhun looked at her weirdly. Then he shook his head as if to clear something out and said, “What were we talking about again?”

            Victoria tried to remember. “Oh. About the reincarnation thing. I don’t really believe in reincarnation, but what else would explain how we acted? A spell? A spell that makes us say and do weird things?”

             “You say you don’t believe in reincarnation, and then you imply that you do,” Nichkhun raised on eyebrow. “What a contradictory person.”

            “You’d better not provoke me,” Victoria crossed her arms and glared at Nichkhun.

            “Wouldn’t do that for the world,” Nichkhun laughed. “If I do, I’d have to kiss you. Besides, you are the one who is always provoking me.”

            Victoria decided to ignore the last comment. “Do you really think that’s the source? We… are put on a spell when we fight with each other?”

            “Yeah, that’s most likely it,” Nichkhun thought it over. “That’s when we’re most irrational. Spells work best with irrationality.”

            “Irrationality. Wow, what a big word,” Victoria mocked.

            “You would know that word, wouldn’t you?” Nichkhun countered. “You practically live by its definition.”

            Victoria didn’t say anything, but she glared at Nichkhun, wishing her eyes would shoot darts at his throat and render him mute. Darn that stupid spell.