The Twin Brother

Suddenly Royal (Tawaran Trilogy, #1)

08/06/12

Time to get to know more about Taecyeon XD

Whoa, three chapters in one day? o.O But they're kind of short, have to admit :P


            One afternoon, after the daily journey, Taecyeon approached Victoria.

            “I have a request for you. Can we talk in private?” he asked her.

            “Sure,” Victoria replied. “Where?”

            “In my room?” Taecyeon suggested.

            Her eyebrows furrowed. It was not the most appropriate thing for an unmarried woman to go to an unmarried man’s room. Especially if they weren’t betrothed. Still, Victoria was not one who followed customs. She nodded to Taecyeon. “Sure.”

            After reaching Taecyeon’s room, which was in a separate corridor from the royal bedroom, Taecyeon beckoned Victoria to sit down on a stool next to the coffee table. Victoria sits down, and Taecyeon pours some tea for her to drink.

            “What do you want to talk about?” Victoria asked after Taecyeon sat himself on a stool as well.

            “Well, to get straight to the point, I can see bits of the future,” Taecyeon said nonchalantly. Wow, that was straight to the point, Victoria mused. He continued, “For me, my magical ability is precognition.”

            “That’s… unconventional,” Victoria managed to say. Usually, the abilities that magicians have are related to the outside nature and not related to the inner psyche. Suddenly, she remembered something. “Wait, isn’t that what the sage had? The one who first started this tradition of finding the reincarnated king and queen?”

            Taecyeon nodded. “Yeah. Actually, along with the reincarnated king and queen, there is a tradition regarding the reincarnated sages as well.”

            “That’s funny,” Victoria said. Of course, the ‘funny’ she referred to was ‘funny peculiar’, not ‘funny haha.’ “After the first sage, I’ve never heard anything about reincarnated sages.”

            “That’s because we like to keep our presence a secret,” Taecyeon replied.

            “We? … So you’re saying that you’re the reincarnated sage of our time,” Victoria spelled out, looking closely at Taecyeon’s reaction. He didn’t have any. “Man, your family is lucky. A king and a sage, huh?”

            “Yup. One thing that is different about reincarnated sages is that they actually remember their past lives, unlike the reincarnated kings and queens. Well, not all of them, but bits and pieces of each life,” Taecyeon explained. He looked at her with an amused look. “Not completely convinced, huh?”

            “There’s no proof,” Victoria shrugged and crossed her arms.

            “Well, you can ask Nichkhun about it,” Taecyeon suggested. “He’s the only other person who knows.”

            Victoria frowned. She didn’t want to talk to Nichkhun. Besides, “Word of mouth is—”

            “Not proof enough, yeah yeah. And no, I’m not going to give you any hard evidence,” Taecyeon predicted what Victoria was about to say. “Come on, this is precognition, not the force of gravity. There’s no way to fight something irrational like magic with rationality and scientific methods. Didn’t Nichkhun already—”

            Taecyeon’s eyes grew wide. “Whoops. He hasn’t. Sorry to burst his bubble. Oh well, when he says it, it’ll be much more of an impact, so it’s alright.”       

            Victoria was speechless. This was the first time hearing Taecyeon say so much. “Is that why—”

            “I don’t talk that much?” Taecyeon interrupted again. “Yeah. I’m afraid I’ll blurt out something that I’m not supposed to. You’re getting annoyed at me, aren’t you? As if we’re not carrying an actual conversation?”

            “Just get to the point!” Victoria rushed out as quickly as possible.

            “Alright, alright,” Taecyeon waved his hand at her, as if batting an annoying fly. “So basically, if you don’t do what I request, Nichkhun will die.”

            There was silence.

            “That’s a big consequence,” Victoria finally said.

            “It’s not that hard, I promise,” Taecyeon continued. “You just have to hang out with me around one hour a day. So that rumors will start spreading about you and me.”

            Victoria looked incredulously at Taecyeon. “You’re sure this isn’t a…”

           She didn’t even try to finish her sentence this time. Still, Taecyeon knew what she was about to say. “Well, it’s not completely for Nichkhun either. If Nichkhun dies, I die as well. But if Nichkhun survives, I might be able to find something that I never expected. I might be able to start a family.”

            “How do you know that? I mean—”

            “Don’t worry, I know what you mean,” Taecyeon reassured her. “I see an image of a girl walking up the stairs of the Palace. The image is still blurry, though, which means that it’s not completely set in stone yet. But the next image I see is me and that girl holding a baby. It’s also still blurry, but if that future actually carried out, it would be a dream come true.”

            Taecyeon smiled softly, basking in the memory of the possible future. Without even looking at Victoria, he said, “Please don’t interrupt me with your snide comments.”

            Victoria smirked. “I think I already did.”

            Taecyeon’s smile faded. “That is one bad thing about precognition.”

            “Sure,” Victoria replied in regards to Taecyeon’s request. She wouldn’t mind hanging out with Taecyeon for an hour every day. Actually, it seemed pretty entertaining. “It doesn’t seem like a hard task. Although, if you’re lying to me about all of this…”

            Victoria gave him a look and drew a line across her neck.

            “I’m definitely not lying about the fact that this will affect Nichkhun’s life,” Taecyeon shuddered a bit at Victoria’s barbaric expression.

            At that, Victoria left the room.

            Taecyeon smirked. “Although I did make a small lie about it being an easy task.”