Rumors

Suddenly Royal (Tawaran Trilogy, #1)

08/08/12

Jealousy.

Warning: A bit of swearing and a bit of mature themes in this chapter.


            Things were going well. Rumors were starting to fly after one week, and in one month, those rumors started exploding. At first, Nichkhun didn’t really care. He trusted Taecyeon with his life, so he figured that there was nothing to worry about. Sure, Taecyeon and Victoria were starting to become friends. It was probably better if they became good friends. They were going to be family soon, after all.

            But as the months passed, and as the rumors got more and more out of hand, Nichkhun decided to confront Victoria. Even the advisors were asking about the rumors in the meetings. It annoyed him that Victoria didn’t address them. All she said was, “They are rumors.”

            Well, no duh! Of course they are rumors, Nichkhun thought with exasperation. But are they true or not? That’s what we want to know!

            So, one day after Victoria came back from Taecyeon’s room, Nichkhun decided to confront her. It was around an hour after dinner ended when Victoria came back to the room. For some reason, she’s always there for around an hour, Nichkhun realized. What could they be doing for one hour every day?

            “At Taecyeon’s room again?” Nichkhun asked. He was sitting on a stool when Victoria came back.

            “Yup,” she replied tersely.

            Victoria took off covering and headed for the bathroom. When she passed by him, Nichkhun caught her arm. Victoria started. But afterward, she stayed in place, still facing the bathroom.

            Standing up, Nichkhun turned Victoria to face him. They were standing a bit too close to each other, but he didn’t care. “What do you guys do in his room every day?”

            Victoria stepped back before answering. She sighed. “He warned me about this.”

            “Oh, so he told you, huh?” Nichkhun was referring to Taecyeon’s precognition. He didn’t know why, but he felt angry. “I guess I should have expected that.”

            “But he didn’t tell me how to deal with you,” Victoria admitted, trying to lighten up the mood.

            Nichkhun forced out a laugh. “That’s nice of him.”

            She knew that he was still mad, for whatever reason. “Those rumors you hear—”

            “You’re not going to say that rumors are rumors, are you?” Nichkhun interrupted. He grabbed her shoulders, trying to prevent her from running away, even though she didn’t even show signs of wanting to escape. Still, it felt like she was drifting away from him. He gritted his teeth. “I would think I deserve more than that.”

            “No, I—” Victoria began to say. Then she played over what Nichkhun had just said. “What do you mean, you deserve more? We’re not a couple.”

            “The whole country seems to think otherwise.”

            “I don’t care what the whole country thinks about us.”

            Nichkhun laughed sardonically. “Why? Because rumors are rumors?”

            Victoria observed Nichkhun. He was practically seething with anger, and she doubted he even knew why. “You’re really annoyed by that, aren’t you?”

            “Tell me something that’s not obvious,” he crossed his arms.

            “You’re not letting me!” Victoria raised her voice, frustrated. “You keep interrupting me whenever I try to tell you!”

            “Alright, alright,” Nichkhun said, his arms still crossed. His face was completely emotionless. “I won’t say anything.”

            Sighing, Victoria quietly said. “Rumors are just rumors.”

            “What?!” Nichkhun roared. “That’s not any different from what you told the advisors!”

            “There is!” Victoria retorted. “I added in one word! ‘Just!’

            “One word is not enough to let me know if those rumors are true or not!” Nichkhun yelled back. God! Who does she think she is?! “What if you mean that the rumors are partially true? Then what? Does that mean you two are playing chess with each other while also reading books? Does that mean you two are doing something more, like making out with each other? Or worse, you guys have already done it, but only once?!”

            With every word, he walked closer to Victoria. And with every word, she backed away. Until she reached a wall. By the end of his rant, there was barely any space left between them, and for some reason, Victoria had a hard time breathing normally. She looked down.

            And it annoyed the hell out of Nichkhun. Rogue thoughts ran across his mind. Why was she looking down? Was it because everything I said was true? Was it because the worst of it was true? Was it because the truth is even worse than all the rumors? God! Why can’t she just look up already?!

            And then she did. She looked up. And he saw her dilated pupils, and her flushed cheeks. He saw the rosiness of her lips and felt the heat of her breath. His blood abandoned his head and rushed toward his lower half.

            “I—”

            Before Victoria could say anything else, Nichkhun captured her lips. His hands grasped the sides of her face, preventing her from escaping.

            Not that he needed to worry about it. At the touch of his lips, Victoria’s inner demon was let loose, completely free. She kissed him back with the same amount of fervor. She reached up for his head and tried to pull him closer to her, her fingers running through his hair, touching his neck, massaging his shoulders.

            Suddenly, Nichkhun’s tongue crept into , and Victoria reciprocated. A foreign sound came out of , and she felt Nichkhun smile in between the kiss. The longer they kissed the higher Victoria’s body temperature rose. The hotter she felt the tighter she wrapped her arms around him.

            Victoria broke away from the kiss, trying to catch her breath, and trying to grasp onto the remains of her sanity. She let out a shaky whisper. “Nichkhun, calm down.”

            He was kissing her neck, travelling up to her ear. She bit back a moan as he the hollow of her earlobe. Putting her hands on his chest, she tried to push him away. He didn’t budge.

            “I—”

            Nichkhun pecked her lips and moved to the other ear.

            “Khun, I only talk to him,” Victoria willed herself to open her eyes. “Nothing else. We only chat in his room. Please, we shouldn’t be doing this right now. We need to keep the rumors up.”

            After hearing her, Nichkhun came to his senses. Inhaling deeply and letting out a shaky breath, he drew back and let her go. Damn, she smells good.

            Facing away from her, Nichkhun asked, “What if we don’t keep up the rumors?”

            She hesitated before answering. “You should talk to him about it.”

            “Alright,” he nodded. His body was still hot and his head was still muffled. Taking another deep breath, he told her, “You should probably stay in Hyuna’s room tonight.”

            Victoria nodded, keeping her eyes down. She walked out of the door.