Star-Crossed

Suddenly Royal (Tawaran Trilogy, #1)

08/20/12

Second chapter of the day :P

Why has Hyunseung been ignoring Hyuna?


            Hyuna had had enough! It’s been a week since Hyunseung started ignoring her at breakfast. He always arrived later than Taecyeon, and he always didn’t sit next to her. She knew she shouldn’t be so mad at him. They weren’t… together, after all. But even friends don’t suddenly ignore each other! And Hyuna really wanted to have Hyunseung as a friend.

            After dinner, instead of walking straight back to her room, Hyuna decided to wait for Hyunseung outside his room. When he finally came, Hyuna’s heart beat even faster than before.

            Hyunseung looked up, and he stopped in his tracks. His face filled with surprise and a hint of happiness. But then he blinked, and his eyes turned cold again. “What are you doing? Shouldn’t you be back in your room?”

            Hyuna’s heart sank. “I wanted to talk to you.”

            Hyunseung walked toward her. “Then talk to me in the morning. You need to get some rest.”

            Her heart rose back up. “That was the first nice sentence you’ve said to me for the past week.”

            Hyunseung looked away with his hand over his mouth. He took a deep breath and looked at her, putting his hand back down. “Talk to me in the morning, okay?”

            “No,” Hyuna stated firmly. “You won’t talk to me in the morning. You’re avoiding me. That’s why you sit next to Taecyeon now. Don’t even try denying it. I need to know why.”

            There was a sound of footsteps, and Hyunseung turned around quickly. It was Advisor Yusli. He eyed them suspiciously and asked what they were doing.

            “Nothing, sir,” Hyunseung quickly said. “She was just asking me something.”

            The advisor looked at both of them for a moment. “Wait until tomorrow to ask him, Hyuna. It’s late.”

            Hyuna nodded and waited for the advisor to walk away. Then Hyuna looked back at Hyunseung, her back as straight as a tree trunk. “I’m not going to leave until you tell me the answer.”

            Hyunseung let out an exasperated breath and dragged Hyuna into his room. After he closed the door, he looked back at Hyuna. “Don’t speak so loudly. People can hear you.”

            Hyuna felt a little nervous to be in Hyunseung’s room. “Well, if you just told me the reason, then I wouldn’t have needed to get angry!”

            Hyunseung let out another sigh. “It’s not that easy to explain. I can’t just tell you in one sentence.”

            “Well, then tell me already!” Hyuna grew impatient. “The sooner you do, the sooner I sleep. That’s what you want, right?”

            Hyunseung looked down. His voice became soft. “I can’t.”

            “Why not?” Hyuna asked. “Is there something that you and the advisors discussed without me?”

            “No, it’s not the advisors,” Hyunseung kept his eyes on the ground. “Not directly, at least.”

            “Look at me!” Hyuna yelled. She didn’t know why, but she was frustrated with him. Why was there something that he can’t tell her? Aren’t they friends?

            Hyunseung winced as if it took a lot of effort to obey that command. He finally looked up and Hyuna noticed that it was hard for Hyunseung to keep looking up.

            “Is it really that hard?” Hyuna asked, her eyes becoming watery. Why am I crying? became tight. “To look at me?”

            Hyunseung noticed and took three steps toward her. But then he caught himself and stayed where he was. “If I told you the reason why I’ve been avoiding you, you’ll avoid me as well.”

            Hyuna furrowed her eyebrows. “Why would I do that? I’m your friend.”

            “That’s just it,” Hyunseung said. He looked like he was in pain. “We’re just friends and can become nothing more.”

            There was silence.

            “What do you mean?” Hyuna’s heart started beating rapidly. Her breath was caught in . She knew exactly what he meant.

            “You know what I mean,” Hyunseung stated. “I like you. I want to touch you, hold your hand. I want more than friendship.”

            Hyuna stared at Hyunseung. She now knew why Hyunseung couldn’t tell her before. He was afraid that what he said would scare her away. She was tempted to run out of the room, but for some reason, her hammering heart kept her there. For some reason, she couldn’t take her eyes off him.

            “Why aren’t you running away?” Hyunseung asked her. He was slowly walking towards her now.

            “I don’t know,” Hyuna answered. Her heart felt like it was recovering from a 20-mile sprint. “My legs aren’t responding to my thoughts.”

            Hyunseung was normal talking distance from her now. As he stepped nearer, he asked. “How come?”

            Hyuna’s breathing became heavier as she tried to keep herself breathing. Her body tingled as she felt Hyunseung’s presence enter her boundaries. “I don’t know.”

            “You do. You know the reason perfectly well,” Hyunseung told her. He stared into her eyes and moved even closer to her. “You’re listening to your heart.”

            Hyuna felt her body tingle again. His voice melted her into Jell-o, his eyes seemed to have gone deeper into her soul, and her body felt like a magnet pulling towards him. It was a miracle that they still weren’t touching.

            Hyunseung played with the air around her lips. “Do you want me to kiss you?”

            Before knowing what she was doing, Hyuna whispered, “Just kiss me already.”

            Hyunseung seemed surprised at first, be then he smiled his crooked smile and leaned in to touch her lips with his.

            Hyuna felt a spark go off in her chest. Then, she felt warmth spread throughout her body. She relished the feeling of his lips touching hers. The way he caressed them, like they were something precious.

            Hyunseung wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer to him, and Hyuna rested her arms around his neck. She liked the feeling of her body touching his, and she felt herself getting lightheaded, making her cling closer to Hyunseung. In response, he wrapped his arms more tightly around her waist. Her heart felt like it was going to burst.

            Then she remembered her role as the right hand lady of the queen. She practically ripped away from Hyunseung’s arms. Not knowing what was happening, Hyunseung looked at her with wide eyes. “What happened?”

            Just with his voice, Hyuna’s cheeks went crimson. Still breathing deeply from the kiss, Hyuna’s eyes wandered down and went over what she just did in her mind. Shooting her eyes back up, she looked at Hyunseung with hurt from her own revelation. “We can’t be together.”

            Hyunseung’s eyes changed from worry to realization. Then it turned to hurt. Hyuna had the strongest urged to run up to him and hug him. She rushed out of the room before she let that happen.