Three

I Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Almost at once, Sunny pressed the intercom button and spoke in hushed voices. Less than five minutes later, a distinguished looking doctor hurried in, and sat down next to my hospital bed.

"Are you feeling okay, Miss Yoon?" he asked, checking over the clipboard that Sunny had handed him. I read the nametag on his lab coat: Dr. Choi Siwon.

"Sure, I guess," I shrugged. "But...what's going on?"

"Can you tell me some things about yourself?" he asked, ignoring my question. "What is your name? Your family members' names, your home address, where you went to high school, your birthday and age, where you work, and things like that."

I gave him a weird look, but followed his request. "My name is Yoon Ara and was born on July 17th. I'm 20 years old, almost 21. I just recently got my first official full-time job as a photojournalist a few weeks ago, so that's where I work. My parents are divorced, and my mom lives in America with my step dad. I have a brother named Ahn Daniel, and - wait, where is Niel?" I looked around, but nothing. "I'd think that that little brat would be caring for me if I was in the hospital for two days."

"He was here all morning, but he had to leave," Sunny replied softly.

But something was wrong. The way that she and the doctor were looking at me was all wrong.

"What?" I asked, getting a little defensive.

"Miss Yoon," Dr. Choi said with a sigh. "I'm afraid to say that it seems as if your memory has been damaged by the car accident. It's currently October, not April, and you are 22 years and 4 months old."

No way.

After several hours of scans and memory tests with my worried dad by my side, I was diagnosed with amnesia. I had lived out a year and a half of my life, but when the car hit me, my head had suffered whiplash, and my brain had collided with my skull. Apparently, I had lost 18 months of memory, up to another accident in my past: the one with the glass door on the rainy day.

22 years old. That was a scary idea.

When I was 20, it was okay to be immature. I was just starting my career, and everything was great. But 22? What had I managed to achieve in a year and a half? I was almost afraid to find out,

"Where's Niel?" I asked, again. I wanted to talk to my brother; no, I needed to talk to my brother.

"Niel has classes," Dad had explained gently. "He's 19 years old and in college now. He'll be over as soon as he finishes."

College? My baby brother? So that means I missed his graduation? Well I guess technically, I didn't miss it; I just missed all memories of it.   

A sound from the nearby table distracted me. I didn't recognize the phone or the ringtone, but I realized that it had to be my cell phone.

On the other end, my mom was freaking out. "Oh my baby, I can't believe it. Your father just told me what happened. Amnesia? That's-  don't worry, I'll be on the first flight out tomorrow."

"Aniyo, mom, I'm fine," I argued at once. My mom was a lawyer and therefore always busy. Unplanned trips to Seoul for indefinite amounts of time was certain not good for her or her job.

"How exactly are you fine, Yoon Ara?"

"Dad and Niel will take good care of me," I told her. "And I'm not really even hurt. I mean...what I don't remember can't hurt me, right? I know you're busy, and I promise to keep you updated with my condition."

"You promise?" mom asked, voice edgy. "I want to know everything the doctors say, and how you're feeling."

"Yes, I promise," I sighed, hanging up. I turned to dad, and rolled my eyes. "She's overreacting," I said.

Dad gave me a worried look. "No, Ara, she's not. You were hit by a car and knocked unconscious for two days. For the first 12 hours, the doctors weren't sure if you were ever going to wake up agai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter