Fourteen

I Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I did recognize Yongguk’s work place. The last thing I remembered, however, was that he had just gotten a position on the special task force. I was unfamiliar with the surroundings inside, and stuck to Yongguk’s side as he led me across the lobby and into the elevator.

 

When the door pinged open at the top, we were greeted by the sight of a tall, built man several years older than Yongguk.

 

“Nice of you to finally come into work,” the guy snorted, reaching out to clasp Yongguk’s hand in a handshake.

 

“But I brought you coffee and donuts, hyung,” Yongguk grinned back, jingling the bag that he was holding with his left hand and pointing at the coffee cups that I was holding.

 

“What are partners for?” he chuckled, taking a cup. “Hey, Ara,” he said, casually.

 

“Hi…?”  I replied, a little confused.

 

“Oh right, you don’t remember me,” the man realized. He switched his right hand free of the cup, and held it out to me. “I’m Jung Yunho, Yongguk’s partner. We’ve meet before, many many times.”

 

I nodded, feeling a little overwhelmed.

 

“I gotta talk to the techies. Are you heading out?” Yongguk asked.

 

Yunho nodded, shaking his head. “Paying a visit to the Eighth Ward,” he replied. They gave each other significant looks, which I did not understand.

 

“Have fun,” Yongguk said, sarcastically.

 

He took my arm, and then tugged me deeper into the office. Taking a turn at the end of the hall, Yongguk was greeted by a chorus of greetings. He paused by one of the many cubicles to leave the extra cup of coffee that I was still carrying. The man inside looked up when he heard us approaching, and grinned.

 

“Ara-ah, this is Changmin, the head of the techies,” Yongguk explained. “Sometimes we call him Max when he does something super nerdy and amazing. He’s the hyung that I was talking to earlier on the phone.”

 

“You don’t remember me? Changmin asked, standing up and unraveling over 6 ft of height. He pretended to be offended, but reached out to hug me never-the-less. “Aish what a bummer,” he said. “We went on a date once, a long time ago.”

 

“Really?” I asked, giving him the once over. He was really good looking in a nerdy, hipster way, but he wasn’t really my type.

 

“Just once, or maybe twice,” Yongguk confirmed.

 

“What happened?” I asked, curious.

 

Changmin chuckled, and reached out to ruffle my hair. “We spent the whole time making fun of each other.”

 

Suddenly, a tall, curvy girl with long, dark hair popped around the corner, throwing herself at Yongguk. “Oppa, where have you been?” she whined, hugging him.

 

“Work,” Yongguk replied, twisting himself out of her grasp. He had turned red in the face, and gestured to her wordlessly. “You’ve actually already met all of my coworkers before. This is Hyosung; she specializes in audio and video surveillance.”

 

“Hi,” Hyosung replied, giving me a smile that did not quite reach her eyes.

 

“What about us? Re-introduce us, too,” a tall, skinny man with framed glasses complained from a round desk where he had been reading the morning paper.

 

“Yah, patience,” Yongguk gibed back.

 

Then, he went around the room, and introduced me to people who I was apparently already very familiar with. The framed glasses guy turned out to be Park Chanyeol, who Yongguk announced to be the resident expert on web-related activities such as computer codes and hacking as well as a caffeine connoisseur. The two other girls in the office were Luna and Victoria, who worked mainly with research. Then, there was Cho Kyuhyun, the expert on technology, and the blond in the corner, Yoo Youngjae, who was good at a little bit of everything. And then there was the intern aka errand boy, Mir. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter