Fifteen

I Remember
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Vic and Luna’s search was over in 3 days, a record, judging by everyone’s approving nods. The two dimmed the lights, and projected their findings on the wall in Yongguk’s office while everyone gathered around.

 

“Choi Taehun is originally from Jeju island,” Victoria started, projecting a picture of a modest-sized house onto the screen. “His parents were both pharmacy technicians. When he was 3 years old, the family moved to Seoul because his dad expanded their company.”

 

Luna pressed a button on her clicker and picked up the story. “His wife, Nam Bora, is a college administrator, originally from Busan. She was doing some work for Seoul National at one time, which is how they met. Choi is an alumnus of that school.”

 

“Choi is a businessman turned politician. He first took over his dad’s company at the age of 24, and has managed it very well, expanding it into one of the largest in South Korea. He went into politics four years later because that was his true interest. He served several lower position cabinet jobs, before securing the Congressional position eight years ago.”

 

The slideshow flew through several pictures, of a pharmaceutical plant, of Choi making a speech on national television and of his other stints in government. My head was starting to hurt, and I brought a hand up to rub my temples.

 

“Right now,” Victoria continued, “he is going through the beginning stages of a divorce, and his wife has moved back to Busan. They have one son, who-”

  

“STOP!” I called, suddenly tensing up.

 

“What’s wrong?” Luna asked, pausing the slideshow.

 

“What kid right there in the back…can you zoom in a bit?” I asked, pointing to the screen that was displaying a smiling Congressman Choi at some benefits dinner.

 

“I can do better than just zoom in. I have a better picture of that kid.”

 

The slide switched elegantly, fading to a picture of Congressman Choi, a tall, slender woman who Luna had already introduced as Nam Bora, and a slim teenage boy with bleached blond hair and kohl-lined eyes.

 

Yongguk immediately recognized him as well. “It’s the kid from the picture!” he exclaimed.

 

Victoria frowned a little, and moved on with her presentation. “That is Congressman Choi’s son, Choi Minki, who goes by the name Ren. He is 16 years old, and moved back to Busan with his mother a few years ago. He attends a private school there now. It says here in his school records that he has interests in photography and fashion, and is generally well-liked by his teachers and classmates.”

 

“Ren…Ren…the key…”

 

“Ara? Are you okay?”

 

By then, a dull ache had spread over my head, and I groaned, clutching it. I felt as if my brain was about to split in half, and I would feel tears forming in the corner of my eyes.

 

“What’s wrong, Ara?” Yongguk was by my side in a flash, holding me by the arms and trying to look into my eyes.

 

“Water,” I rasped, dropping my head in my hands, “I need some water.”

 

“Chanyeol, water, quick!” I heard him call, hand never leaving my side.

 

My vision flickered and blurred, as if a piece of gauze had been put over my eyes, and I bit my lip, leaning all of my weight on Yongguk so I wouldn’t fall over.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter