Chapter 31

The Things They Learned
          The weeks that the boys had been with April had turned to months, the days had gotten hot and promotions were in full swing.  It was helpful to the boys that April had gotten the hang of her crutches, she was still weak and fragile but at least they weren’t worried she was going to fall over anymore.  Moments of connection were scarce but they were still coming through now and again.  She still wasn’t ready to be left alone, at least Leeteuk didn’t think so, but she was becoming more independent.
            “I don’t think we should baby her too much,” Eunhyuk said one day in the van on the way to a broadcast station.  “She’s starting to do more for herself, we should take a small step back and see what more she can do.” 
            Kangin agreed.  Sungmin and Ryeowook looked concerned.
            “Eunhyuk is right.”  Leeteuk said authoritatively.  “If she wants to connect we should give her the opportunity, if we constantly do everything for her, there’s no reason for her to break out of her shell.”
            “We don’t have to give her the cold shoulder,” Shindong added.  “Just open the gates for communication create opportunities for her to be independent.”
            Everyone liked the sound of that.
 
            April’s life started to fall into a routine that was almost normal.  Wake up, get washed and dressed.  Watch Ryeowook make breakfast, eat with the boys and listen to them banter before leaving for work.  Most days she spent the daytime with either Henry or Zhou Mi watching movies, listening to music (which she really enjoyed) or reading and being read to.  While the sense of routine was great for her, she was rediscovering normality and finally understanding what it meant, it was getting boring for Zhou Mi and Henry. 
            Henry was especially easily bored and as it was summer he wished he could spend more time playing outside.  Since that wasn’t an option for him or for April he came up with another idea.  He wasn’t sure it would work, but he decided to give it a go anyway. 
            “Ja-Jang!!”  He exclaimed, presenting a red and white box to April.  “Its checkers,” he announced cheerily to her confused face.  “I thought we’d have a go.”
            April sat on the couch while Henry set up the game in front of them on the coffee table.
            He laid out all the pieces, “You know how to play, right?”  He asked, answering himself, “Of course you must.”
            She didn’t so much as blink at him.  “I’ll make the first move.”  Henry moved one of his pieces and looked at April expectantly, she didn’t budge.  “Now it’s your turn,” he said and waited.  He knew it took her longer to process things than he did.  He waited almost three minutes before he said, “That’s okay,” and moved one of her pieces for her.  “I can play by myself.” 
            April scowled and knit her eyebrows together but Henry didn’t say anything. He moved another one of his pieces and then reached for one of hers.  He was about to move one of hers when he stopped at the last moment, April had leaned forward towards the board.  He took his hand away.  “You want to play now?”  She glanced at him and looked back at the board.  Then very slowly she moved her hand as if pointing at the board.  Inch by inch her hand crept closer until her index finger was on the piece she wanted to move.  Henry was awestruck as the pushed the piece forward with one finger.  She froze after moving it one space and looked up at Henry.  “April jjang!”  He exclaimed, he wanted to high-five her but he didn’t want to scare her.  Instead he moved the next piece.  She again very slowly moved hers.  She was understanding the give and take of the game, the taking turns, but not the strategy as Henry surmised from the pieces she chose and where she moved them.  April didn’t finish the game, about halfway through she sat back and refused to move any more pieces.  Henry was overjoyed anyway, he knew how big of a milestone this was for her.
           
            April was pressing against the colossal force that wanted her to keep still.  It was a constant battle, painful and tiring.  Less than half of herself joining the land of the living, the rest still locked away inside her.  Her thoughts and intentions were still muddled but there were flashes of clarity and a part of her was breaking through.  Connecting was gratifying but exhausting.  Her desire was growing and her broken mind was getting stronger but her energy couldn’t hold out long, at least not this time…  
 

A/N: Hello again everyone!  I'm doing the best I can to update regularly.  Mostly I write when I'm stuck in a boring situation but a lot of the time I can't because there are prying (and judgemental) eyes.  I'll probably be getting a new position at work soon and I'll try not to let it infinge upon my writing time.  On another note I really appreciate all the subscribers and commenting, keep it up!  Upvotes are appreciated and I absolutely LOVE seeing your guesses as to how the story is going to go!!!!  

Wishing good things for everone, Your Author.