Chapter 25

The Things They Learned

Chapter 25

          The day of April’s follow up appointment at the hospital arrived pretty quickly.  Sungmin had wanted to go with her but he had a musical rehearsal.  In the end it was Leeteuk and Kangin that went with her.  By this point they had mastered slipping in and out unnoticed and didn’t even need their manager’s help.
          Mi-Hi came early and helped April get cleaned up and dressed for the appointment.  Little did April know that she was being dressed everday by a professionnal stylist.  Mi-Hi picked out a bright sundress with a sunflower prinnt and held it up for April who was sitting on the bed.  April nodded her approval.  This was a rhythm the two had developed when Mi-Hi first started coming regularly.   As a stylist Mi-Hi was used to picking out clothes and having people put them on, no ‘ifs’, ‘ands’ or ‘buts’ about it, they trusted her judgement and did as they were told.  On the second day she came she had picked out an adorable Kelly green dress only to have it balled up and thrown back at her.  It became apparent at that moment that April wanted to choose her own clothes and wasn’t going to allow anyone else to tell her what to do.
          Once April was fully dressed and ready in her sunny end of summer outfit Mi-Hi wheeled her into the living room before taking her leave.
          April wasn’t alone for long, Sungmin was on his way out for rehearsal.  He was wearing sweats and tossed his backpack on the floor before sitting on the arm of the couch.
          “Did they tell you that you’re going to the hospital today?”
          April gave her signature blank stare and then one slow nod.
          “Don’t be nervous.”
          More staring.
          “I can’t go with you today but Leetuek hyung and Kangin hyung are going to take you personally.”
          One long slow nod.
          “You’ll do great, I’m sure there’ll be good news.”
         April was like a stone, Sungmin had no idea what she was feeling.
         “Ja, well I’ll see you later. Fighting.”

          Leeteuk entered just as Sungmin was leaving and took April downstairs in the elevator.  It was then that he realized that it was her first time seeing the outside world since the day she arrived at the dorm.
         Kangin was waiting for them, leaning against the car, arms folded, tall and statuesque as he usually was.  April looked at the car, a silver SUV with heavily tinted windows and then back and forth at the two boys.  Leeteuk picked up on it first.
          “It’s Kangin’s car, he’ll drive.  His car is nice right? It’s bigger than mine so it will be more comfortable for you.”
          “You wouldn’t want Teukkie hyung driving you anyway.”  Kangin jumped in.
          “Hey! I drive pretty well now.”
         “Now….” Kangin teased.
         “It could be worse, you could have Donghae as your chauffer.”
         “That would be worse.”
         April actually cracked a smile.
         Kangin moved the wheelchair next to the open door and gently lifted April into the back seat; he even fastened the seatbelt for her.
          Although they wouldn’t normally go this route Leetek had Kangin drive the scenic way giving April the opportunity to look out at the river and some of he other nicer sights of the city.  As always it was hard to tell what April was thinking but her eyes were fixed on the window. 
          Unfortunately the drive didn’t last long and they were soon taking the hospital elevator back up to the floor that they had spent so much time on.
          Leeteuk saw that April was tensing in the eleator.  “It’s just a check-up, we’re not going to stay long.”  He tried to sooth her.  Once they signed her in it was mostly out of their hands.  She was taken back to get x-rays and a variety of other tests done and Leeteuk and Kangin were left waiting in the hallway like a pair of pacing parents.
          Finally the tests were done and the three of them sat down to consult with the doctor.
          “After reviewing all of the test results it seems that while she is healing, the progress is a but slower than average.  Her ribs are still healing and moderate swelling remains in the abdominal cavity.  Has she been eating well?”
          “She eats, but not big meals.”  Leeteuk answered.
          “She’s probably having difficulty digesting large quantities however she needs nutrition to heal so I’m going to prescribe soom supplements.  Has she ever indicated any stomach pain.
          “No.”
          “That’s interesting.  People with her type of injuries often feel pain for an extended time.  What about leg pain, anything there?”
          “We don’t think so.”
          “She’s had rods put in so it’s likely she does feel pain or sensitivity.  It concerns me that she is not expressing those things let alone that she hasn’t regained any speech yet.  We have no reason to believe that there was any brain damage but if she does not start coming arounnd in the next few weeks I’d like you to bring her hack to be reevaluated.”
          “Yes sir.” It was a sobering thought.
          “On the brighter side, for now we’ve moved to a soft cast for her leg and it’s time to start integrating the use of crutches.  She’ll need your hep in the beginning because her core is very weak but that will improve over time.  Start out by using them for a little while each day, but hold her to help her balance.  Even once she has her balance stay close by to make sure she doesn’t fall.  Lastly she’ll be starting physical therapy next week.  The nurse will give you a sheet with all that information before you leave.  Good luck with everything.”

          On the way home Kangin stopped to pick up ice cream from a convenience store.  He was so quick no on even had a chance to notice.  April enjoyed hers in the back seat.  It was midday ad the dorms were empty.  April seemed to be drifting off so Teukkie settled her in the bedroom before lying down on the couch himself.  The promo schedule was really exhausting; it wasn’t long before he was out too.  Kangin stayed in the dorm that afternoon as well and quietly read a book.
           In the evening the dongsaengs came back for dinner while the hyungs left for filming after filling them in on the day’s developments.  With everyone on the same page they split up again for more schedules.  Tonight Zhou Mi was going to hang out with April on the 11th floor; little did he know what kind of night it was going to be.