The Things They Learned

The Things They Learned

 

            The only one who didn’t look startled by the intercom was Sungmin, who nonchalantly got up and answered the door. 
            Mi-Hi came in and greeted everyone formally if not awkwardly.
            “We’re having breakfast,” Sungmin said.  “Have you eaten?”
            “Uh-yes, before I left.”
            “Well feel free if you’re still hungry.  Ryeowook cooked.  In the meantime let me introduce you.” He showed Mi-Hi over to the table.  “April, let me introduce you to Mi-Hi.”
            April looked up confused and then looked at Sungmin inquiringly.
            “Mi-Hi is one of our sty-uh-friends, she’s good with fashion type stuff, I thought she could help you out.”
            There was a collective ‘ah’ as the rest of the guys realized Sungmin’s intention.  The ‘ah’ was also a sigh of relief as the realized that Mi-Hi was going to save them from a boatload of awkward situations.  The boys all looked quite pleased but April was stone-faced and Mi-Hi seeing that looked nervous.
            “Nice to meet you,” Mi-Hi said and bowed.
            April lowered her head a little in response. 
            “Good!” Sungmin clapped, “You’re off to a good start.  April are you done with breakfast?”
            She nodded a reserved ascent.
            “Okay, then why don’t you go with Mi-Hi to pick out an outfit for the day.”  It was a statement, not a question, but April went anyway.
               Mi-Hi was there to take care of the things that the boys couldn’t.  April still was uncomfortable as Mi-Hi was a stranger to her but it was nonetheless a better solution all around. 
            As soon as April was out of sight Kyuhyun darted out and grabbed at the leftover food. 
            “Someone’s hungry,” Eunhyuk said sarcastically while slapping a hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.
            “Hyung, why were you taking so long?”
            “Why should we rush?  Ryeowook made April this lovely breakfast; we should take our time and enjoy it.”
            “But hyung…” Kyuhyun whined.
            “I told you avoiding wasn’t going to work.”
 
            April came out in a fresh outfit; Mi-Hi had taken care of everything.  By this point Kyuhyun had already grabbed his things and left the dorm. 
            “You look great,” Sungmin said when she came out in a bright color block skirt and light shirt.  “Did you sleep well?”
            April shrugged.
            “Do you like Mi-Hi?”
            April nodded warily again.
 
            For the most part Sungmin’s solution was working out well.  Mi-Hi was going to come in the morning and at night when she could and Eunhyuk and Siwon’s sisters were going to try to fill in the gaps as needed.
            “Thanks for coming Mi-Hi,” Sungmin bowed low before she left.   
            April was looking around surveying the premises again. 
            “So I think you started to get the gist of it last night, but me, Donghae and Eunhyuk live on this floor with you – oh and by the way – if you see a tall skinny cranky guy around that’s Kyuhyun, he lives here too but pay him no attention.
            “There’s a staircase in the back that connects our apartment to the one upstairs but if you want to take the elevator you have to go out to the hall.  Upstairs are Leeteuk-hyung, Heechul-hyung, Yesung-hyung, Shindong-hyung, Zhou Mi and Ryeowook.  You saw Ryeowook come down this morning to cook.  Soon when you ditch those wheels you can go up and see their dorm.” 
            April was counting on her fingers, she held up three.
            “Kangin and Siwon have their own places right now and Henry comes and goes but right now he’s staying in a hotel.”
           
            Sungmin, Ryeowook and Yesung had some free time during the day, actually Yesung had no schedule but Sungmin and Ryeowook had to work later that night.  Yesung had a big DVD collection and it was decided that the four of them would spend the day helping April get settled by watching movies.  Yesung brought down a selection of English movies and April picked three.  She had a wide range of interest picking an action movie, a classic musical and a cliché romcom.  Fortunately the boys had wide tastes as well and everyone was able to enjoy.  They took a break in the middle to have lunch together.  Ryeowook made sandwiches. 
 
            April fell asleep on the couch during the third movie.  Ryeowook gently covered her with a blanket before the three of them moved back to the kitchen table to let her sleep.  “Hyung?”  Ryeowook asked Sungmin, “Do you really think this is going to work out?”
            “Sure it will, it’s just going to take a little time.”
            “Kyuhyun won’t even come out of his room,” Yesung interjected. “I’m surprised he hasn’t moved upstairs.”
            “Ha! He wouldn’t survive upstairs.” Ryeowook said.
            “He’ll come around,” Sungmin said.  “This could be good for him.”
            “I’m just worried, there are so many things we don’t know how to do, we don’t even know where she came from or why she’s here, what if there’s more to this that we can’t handle?”
            “What we don’t know how to do we can learn, and she’ll be able to do more for herself soon.  We don’t know where she came from and I don’t think she does either, does it matter?  We’ve already overcome so much adversity I don’t think there’s anything we can’t handle together, do you think there’s anyone better to take responsibility for her?”
            Silence.  April twitched in her sleep, it seemed like she was having a dream.  She started tossing and turning and the boys were worried she’d fall off the couch.  Sungmin knelt next to her and quietly spoke her name, he swept her hair off her face, her brow was dripping with sweat. 
            April was back in NY, she was arguing with someone and then slammed the door, the fell to the ground sobbing.  Suddenly she was trapped in the white box again, she desperately needed to get out, she screamed and kicked the door, but there was only silence.
            Sungmin gently tapped April’s shoulder and came to with a start.    

I'm back!  I know I've been MIA for quite a while, but I've returned with a new chapter.  It's probably not all that exciting and you might have to go back and re-read a little (I know I did) before reading the new part.  I can't garuntee regular updates, but I haven't forgotten about this story either so even though it may take a while I'm going to see it through till the end.  Hope everyone is still enjoying reading :)