Bad News Travels Fast

The Things They Learned

 

            It’s true when they say bad news travels fast.  Everyone was gathered in the eleventh floor dorm.  Even those that weren’t living in the dorms anymore had made their way over and were waiting uncomfortably along with everyone else.  Heechul had decided to remain upstairs.  There was a painful silence about the room, everyone hung their heads not wanting to look at one another standing and sitting around the table and couch.  Kangin was pacing at the back of the room. 
            Heads looked up one by one when the three and the manager entered.  Sungmin went straight to his room without saying a word and closed the door while the other two sat down and joined the silence.  The manager simply stood in the middle of everyone but seemed to be at a loss of words as well.  It was Leeteuk who finally broke the silence, “I guess to move forward we have to start by going back, I know you don’t want to but could you tell us what happened?”  Donghae and Kyuhyun looked at each other and Donghae nodded acknowledging something he read in Kyuhyun’s eyes.  Donghae recounted the day’s events as well as the discussion the three had had at the hospital.  He managed to keep his voice steady but it was clear that the events had been extremely unsettling to both of them.  Leeteuk listened with a calm expression and when he was done he said, “It’s been hard on you both today as well as Sungmin but now we’ll get through the rest together.”  Leeteuk hugged both of them and then sent them to clean off and get some rest.  As if already foreseeing the situation Leeteuk then said to the manager, “I’ll fill in for Sungmin tonight at the radio show.”     
           
            Kyuhyun found Sungmin in their room packing a bag and laying out fresh clothes.  “What are you doing?” he asked. 
            Without looking up Sungmin responded, “After washing up I’m going back to stay there.”       
            “Don’t you think that’s a little much, they have manager-hyung’s number they can call us if they ne-”
            “This is our fault and I think someone should be there.” Sungmin walked out of the room. 
 
            Meanwhile Donghae had gone upstairs and Leetuek, Yesung, Eunhyuk, Shindong, Siwon and Kangin were gathered around the table discussing in hushed voices what to do.  Eunhyuk said, “Sungmin feels like he is at fault, he’s going to want to stay with her until she wakes up.” 
            Kangin added, “Although we are not at fault by intention I think he’s right and we should take responsibility for this.” 
            Yesung said, “Had they not been there, the taxi wouldn’t have run the light.” 
            Leeteuk listened to everyone’s comments intently without adding any of his own.  When it seemed everyone had said their peace Leeteuk asked, “Is it agreed by all of those here that we should take responsibility?”  It was a unanimous yes and Leeteuk took on the task of speaking with the others who did not cast a vote.  Sungmin’s opinion was already very clear so Leeteuk went up to speak with Donghae first.  He had changed clothes and was lying on his bed looking at the ceiling.  Leeteuk sat in the desk chair, “how are you doing?”    
            “I don’t know.”
            “It probably seems more frightening now looking back on it, right?”
            “Yeah.”
            “You did well, took all the right steps, called the right people.  You three may have saved her life.”
            “It doesn’t feel that way.”
            “I know.”  There was a long pause.  “How do you feel about taking responsibility?”
            “None of this seems right, the whole situation seems unfair.  A girl’s life could be completely ruined but she did nothing to deserve it.  Being there and seeing the state of things, I feel like we have to, but even that doesn’t seem like enough.”
            “I understand.  Do you want some alone time?”
            “Yes, please.”
            “Okay, try and rest, make sure you eat something later.”
             
             Leeteuk left Donghae’s room and knocked on another door.
            “Come in.”
            Leeteuk entered Heechul’s room and closed the door behind him.  Heechul was playing a computer game, he paused it when Leeteuk came in.  “So what’s going on?”
            “Well the situation’s not good but it could be worse.”
            “Go on.”
            “She’ll probably have a long and painful road ahead of her.”
            “Sounds familiar,” he said dryly.
            “I have yet to speak with Kyuhyun but the rest are for taking responsibility.”
            “Since I’m not active right now just count me with the majority, I’d rather not get involved.”
            “If that’s how you’d like it…”
            “Yes.”
            “Okay.”
 
            The last person to consult with was Kyuhyun.  It was a difficult thing to discuss with him and Heechul as Leeteuk knew that both of them had similar personal experiences and painful memories.  Kyuhyun was alone in his room right now while Sungmin was in the shower.  He was reading at his desk, or at least pretending to read.  Leeteuk knocked on the open door.  “Yeah?”
            Leeteuk leaned on the door frame, “How’s it going?”
            “Fine.”
            “So the others and I were discussing-”   
            “You want to know how I feel about taking responsibility.”
            “Yes.”
            “I’m sure you could understand why I would have reservations.  In addition to not wanting to relive those things if this ends poorly it would be very bad press for us, if not the end of us.”
            “If we don’t do anything it could also be very bad press for us.”
            “It’s a lose-lose situation.”
            “I don’t think this should be an issue about publicity, work, our name or the company.  I think this should be about our values as people, one human to another.  Think about if the situation were reversed.”
            “I’d rather not.”
            “Exactly, you know better than anyone what she’s about to go through.  Knowing that do you really think we should just walk away?”
            “I don’t think we should just walk away but I’m unsure about becoming personally involved, we are already covering the medical costs.  I’m not going to swim against the tide here, I just want it known that I have my reservations.”
            “I understand.  We’ll proceed from here in taking responsibility and you can keep a comfortable distance as you’d like.”