The Things They Learned

The Things They Learned

 

            Donghae and Kangin did the tape measure task while Heechul stood over them and chided them like a mother hen.  “You’re not doing it right, hold it evenly!  Remember to measure at different heights.”  Cluck, cluck, cluck.
            Donghae was getting annoyed.  “Hyung, I thought you had a position of non-involvement.  If you’re going to be so picky about it, why don’t you do it!”
            “Because I’m the hyung and clearly you two need supervision.”
            “Aish.”  Donghae and Kangin finished the talk by comically ignoring or talking over Heechul as Heechul became more and more frustrated.
            In the end most of the furniture needed to be nudged one way or another.  It wasn’t really a big deal however when Yesung came home that night he banged his shin on the couch leg.  Of course Donghae and Kangin could have texted the members and let them know they’d moved things, but they decided that silence would be more funny. 
 
            Everything was done and they still had three days.  To Donghae, Kangin and Heechul’s glee, every other member had at least a stubbed toe, bruised shin, knee or elbow.  No one was all too pleased with the jokesters who forever denied moving anything.        
 
            Back at the hospital there was also a lot of preparation going on. Up until now most of them had kept a bit of a physical distance from April, especially Eunhyuk who was still a bit put off after his first encounter.  The nursing staff was pushing all of them to start helping April with clothes and transferring.  It wasn’t really difficult, April was light as a feather; it was scary really how little she weighed.  She was so light the wheelchair was practically unnecessary; they could carry her around all day if they wanted to, but obviously that would be a bit strange.  The problem was April was shy, (who could blame her?) and none of the boys wanted to seem improper.  She was more comfortable with some of them than others, and some of them were more comfortable with her than others.  Sungmin and Ryeowook took to it pretty naturally but not without mishap.
            On the second to last morning Sungmin came a little before breakfast time, one of the nicer nurses saw him arrive and followed him in. 
            “It’s time to get dressed,” the nurse said cheerily as she handed Sungmin a fresh set of clothes. As he stared at the clothes in his hand it took him a moment to process what was going on.
            “M-m-me?”  He stammered.
            “Who else?”  Someone has to do it.  I’ll stay in the room for the first time if it makes you more comfortable.”
            “I-I don’t think I can do that,” he said backing away.
            The nurse put her arm out to stop him from backing any further.  “Yes you can, just don’t thinking about it too much.”
            It was the most awkward thing that Sungmin had ever had to do and not something he ever wanted to repeat.  The nurse talked him through it, April was calm but she didn’t look at him.  He was nervous and sweaty but was more worried about her being uncomfortable than himself.  They got through it but only just.  He was already worrying that this arrangement wasn’t going to work out.  He had to step out and calm himself.  He already knew there was no turning back now she he’d have to figure out a way to make it work going forward.
 
            The experience was a real wake-up call for Sungmin and he wasn’t really sure what to do.  In the past he had done volunteer work in children’s homes and had had no problems but this was totally different.  April wasn’t a kid and although you couldn’t always tell on the outside, she knew what was going on.  Sungmin couldn’t fathom how she felt in such a helpless and awkward situation and because of this he didn’t know what he should do for her.  Sungmin had never been forced to rely on others for so much so he needed to talk to someone who had.  Though he wasn’t sure he’d be open to talk about it, at lunch time he went to talk with Heechul. 
            “Of course it’s uncomfortable, you’re like a baby relying on everyone for everything and not only that but you become a burden to them as well,” Heechul said.  “For April it’s probably ten times worse, she’s a stranger in a strange land and doesn’t know any of us.  Your guess is as good as mine if she understands anything we say and to top it all off she’s a girl surrounded by men.”
            “That could be thought of as a good thing,” Sungmin pointed out.
            “Not when your pride is completely crushed and you’re showing the weakest side of yourself.  It was bad enough needing help with the most private of matters but at least we were all guys and we were all living together anyway.  If it had been girls, it would have been unbearable.  Even with my mother and sister I hated it.  Maybe now you can see why I didn’t want to get involved.  Every time an issue comes up, she’ll feel like she’s dying on the inside, do you really want to be responsible for that?”
            “She already almost died on the outside!” Sungmin shot back.
            “Physical pain is only a small matter compared to emotional pain, emotional pain lingers long after the physical pain is gone.”
            “Then what should we do?”
            “I’ll tell you what not to do, don’t help with any more private matters, once was probably enough to mortify her.”
 
            Sungmin thought it over and knew what needed to be done.  They were all in this together, but they didn’t have to be in it alone.  He made a few phone calls, first to Leeteuk, then to the manager-hyung and then to Siwon, Eunhyuk and finally Mi-Hi. 
 
            Those who didn’t have schedules gathered in April’s room that night.  This would be the last overnight in the hospital and then it would be onward and forward.  Leeteuk, Yesung, Kangin, Eunhyuk, Zhou Mi, Siwon and Henry were all there.  The boys wanted this last gathering to have a celebratory vibe but April seemed to have a quiet reservation about her.  She was always quiet, of course, but at this time it felt different.  She didn’t seem happy to be leaving.   
            None the less the boys worked hard to keep the mood bright as they prepared for the last 24 hours.  April was going to leave after dark the next night.  The logistics still needed to be refined as they were certain security issues.  Up until now they had managed to avoid a scandal but leaving the building would be a whole new challenge.
            The spacious private room had really accumulated quite a lot of stuff over the last two months.  Many things that the members had brought for April but also lot’s of personal items belonging to the members.  Sweatshirts forgotten on late nights, backpacks full of books, hats, sunglasses, snacks, you name it and it was there.  It actually made the room kind of homey, seeing familiar items but now it was time to clean up and move out.  They took down the things they’d hung on the walls and packed up all their own belongings.  No one would miss coming here though it had a weird sense of finality.  They put April’s things into brown paper shopping bags, name brands of course, and left her with only the essentials she would need for the next day and a brand new outfit chosen by Zhou Mi.  They would keep the rotation overnight and until a few hours before the official discharge.  The manager-hyung would come then to fill out the paperwork and take care of the official business, it would be the first time that none of the members would be present.  This was done again for security reasons; it was the over-the-top fans that had caused this mess to begin with and it was that same type of fan that could create a scandal.
            The members dwindled out as it got later into the night.  The first to leave were Leeteuk and Zhou Mi.  Leeteuk had a schedule the next day and he was Zhou Mi’s ride back to the dorm.  Eunhyuk left shortly after that and the mood became very soft in the room.  Yesung like Eunhyuk kept his distance.  April wasn’t as active with everyone as she had been the week prior, she seemed lost in thought, but hopefully not in her own world.  It was a lot to take in, she was about to become a part of a new household and Siwon thought it was best not to press her. 
            Yesung left shortly after April had drifted off to sleep, and Siwon took Henry back to his hotel before heading home himself.  Kangin stayed to start the night.  April seemed to sleep more comfortably now, especially with the cast off of her wrist.  A lot of the cuts and bruises had all but disappeared and the true girl that was under all of that was starting to show.  He imagined what she would have looked like before the accident, she was probably very pretty.
            Donghae came late at night after his schedule.  He was tired and relieved that this would be the last of the rotation for him.  Sungmin joined him after the radio broadcast.  The empty room reminded them a lot of their first night there.  The others had done a good job of cleaning up and there wasn’t anything left for the two of them to do.  April was sleeping soundly, they were relieved. 
            Donghae put his hand on Sungmin’s shoulder, “we’ve made it this far, the worst is over.”
            “We really have come a long way since this all started, but I can’t help but think that we’ve still got so far to go.”
            “Of course we do, life is an uphill battle, but all the scrimmages along the way are there to teach you and make you stronger.  Everything happens for a reason and every experience presents you a lesson to learn.  We’re still young we should look at this as a very important chapter in life’s textbook.”        
 
            When Zhou Mi arrived in the morning April was already dressed in the bright sundress he had picked out for her and definitely looked better than she had the previous night.  Since tonight would be April’s homecoming of sorts Zhou Mi thought he should make it special.  He very carefully brushed April’s hair and then did it in a nice half-up half-down style with some pretty clips he had brought for her.  He put the slightest bit of make-up on her before holding up a mirror for her to see.  He could tell by her smile that she was definitely pleased.  He finished by putting a bright yellow flat on her good foot.  She looked cute, he was glad his unique talents could come in handy.  He would be the last one to see her before she arrived at the dorm; he hoped the others would be pleasantly surprised.     
           
            All day the boys were fidgety, no one could concentrate on their tasks at hand.  As they arrived home in the evening one by one they took to pacing the floor.  Pacing, pacing, and sometimes walking into to each other.
            “Should we make a sign?”  Yesung asked Donghae.
            “I don’t know, should we?”  He looked at Leeteuk.
            “Though it’s a nice gesture it’s late and April is going to be tired and nervous, let’s not overwhelm her.”
            “How should we welcome her?”  Shindong asked.
            “Warmly and calmly would probably be best.  Perhaps tonight she should only greet the people she’ll be living with on the eleventh floor.  It’s not like she doesn’t know us by now, there will be plenty of time tomorrow for her to get to know the arrangement.”
            Leeteuk’s words made sense.  Heechul and Kyuhyun were staying in their rooms already and before April arrived Kangin, Siwon and Henry went home for the night.  The rest waited until the last minute to go upstairs and only Leeteuk remained with Sungmin, Donghae and Eunhyuk.  
 
            The manager-hyung let April and himself into the dorm quietly without buzzing or knocking. 
            “Annyeonghaseyo.”    
 

Okay, she's finally made it to the dorm.  It took a while and my appologies if it got boring at parts.  It's my first time writing something of this length and my pacing needs to be worked on, also I'm writing without a hard outline so bare with me if I miss the point sometimes.  Either way, I hope everyone is still enjoying it!  Comments and sugesstions appreciated :)