Chapter 26

The Things They Learned

     Zhou Mi arrived mid way through dinner and everyone else left in a hurry after the meal.  When April was done eating Zhou Mi gaverher the new supplements the doctor had prescribed.  After that he settled her in the living room with one of the new DVD’s he’d brought over.  The kitchen sink had really filled up with dishes since they had stopped having the dorm ajumma come, he couldn’t stand seeing the mountain of dishes so even though he didn’t live downstairs he set to work washing everything anyway.

     When he was down he went to sit down and watch the movie with April, it was a Chinese martial arts flic but he had the English dubbing for April.  Listening to the dubbing was like nails on a chalkboard but since him and Henry were pretty sure that April didn’t understand Chinese too it seemed only fair.  He didn’t know if she would read subtitles.  
     Things we going along quietly (things were always going along quietly when you were alone with April).  The movie was almost over when Zhou Mi got an uneasy premonition.  He thought he heard a small thud and a few squeaking sounds coming from near the apartment door.  It was too soon for the other members to be back.  Zhou Mi knew what this might mean, it had happened before, but he hoped he wasn’t right.  If he was right, they were in trouble. 
     Mi stopped the movie and turned off the TV and quietly moved near the door and put his ear up against it.  It was a stupid thing to do but he also put a finger to his lips while meeting April’s gaze.
     April was confused.  What is this lunatic doing, playing James Bond?
     Zhou Mi listened at the door, sure enough he heard it, the sound of teenage girls…trying to pick a lock. 
     “Sh*t, saesangs.”  He said under his breath. 
     He rummaged through the mountains of papers on the counter looking for the number for security.  He could hear giggling now outside the door.  Well I’m so glad they’re enjoying themselves while breaking and entering.  Zhou Mi loved his fans as much as the rest of the members but he didn’t like crowds, he didn’t like having his privacy invaded and he didn’t like what they had done to April.  He was starting to panic he could hear they were getting closer with each attempt, if they made it in and discovered April it would be all over the media and who knew what kind of story they would spin.
     At last he found a small paper with the number scribbled on it in Sungmin’s handwriting.  Sungmin was a pragmatist, he had probably originally intended to post the number near the door, Zhou Mi really wished he’d gotten around to it.
     Zhou Mi’s fingers shock as he dialed the number as quick as he could.
 
Beep-beep-beep, this number is invalid, please dial again.
 
“Sh*t.”
 
He had misdialed, he miss dialed once more before connecting.
 
Only to get a busy signal.
 
Really a busy signal? He thought to himself, how does anyone get a busy signal these days?  Haven’t these people heard of call waiting?
 
Crack, squeak.  Time for plan B.    
 
     “I’m sorry for this,” he quickly whispered to April before he grabbed her and rushed into her room.  He unceremoniously plopped her on the bed.  He ran around the apartment like a madman and gathered up all signs of April’s inhabitance and dumped them into the bedroom as well.  He shut the lights and made it look like no one had been home in hours, then he joined April in her bedroom and closed and locked the door behind him.  He put a doorstop under the door on the inside and then sat on the floor against it. 
     He was breathing heavily; he tried to calm his breath so as not to be heard.  The room was dark but he could still see April staring at him.
     This guy is nuts.
     He put his hands together as if to say 미안해 mianhae. 
 
     What the hell are we hiding from?  Should I be fearing for my life?  Again? 
 
     As they sat in the dark they eventually heard the click.  The girls had gotten in.  
 
 

A/N:  Just a short chapter to try to get started again.  I've never really abandoned or stopped thinking about this fic I just wasn't really sure how to get it where it's going.  I realize I haven't updated in a year and 4 months, I'm really sorry to my readers for the insane delay.  And if anyone out there is still reading this fic PROPS to YOU and THANKYOU.  I would really appreciate some feedback and ideas for things you might want to see as the story progresses.  I can't guarantee that I'll update regularly but I will try to respond to all comments. Thanks again to anyone who reads this!