The Things They Learned

The Things They Learned
          Zhou Mi and Henry were now regulars in April’s room along with Leeteuk, Shindong, Donghae, Sungmin, Ryeowook, Kangin, Yesung, Siwon and Eunhyuk.  40 days had now passed since April had first come into the boys lives.  She was more lively now and communicating, though rudimentarily, with everyone.  Doctors and nurses seemed pleased with the physical progress she was making.  April could now sit up unassisted for short periods of time, she fed herself (with a fork and spoon) and although she was still sleeping quite a lot, she wasn’t exhausted as easily as in the beginning.    
          On this day after making his rounds and doing a thorough check-up the main physician asked to speak with the two oldest hyungs.  Leeteuk and Yesung sat across a table from the doctor in a small office.  It was an unfamiliar and uncomfortable situation, the office smelt sterile and there was a large fake house plant in the corner. 
          “As you both know well April has now been an inpatient for over a month.”  Both men nodded agreement.  “April has come a long way since the day she arrived here.”  Again the two nodded.  “Your company has consented to taking financial responsibility.”
          “Yes,” they both said in unison.
          “What I wanted to talk to you both about today is April’s life after her hospital stay.  While we’re still not ready to release her yet plans need to be made for her return home.  You and your members have been spending a lot of time with her and I can’t help but notice that there has not been any real kin that has come to visit.  While it’s wonderful that you are taking financial responsibility for her someone will have to take personal responsibility for her when she is released.”
          Both Leeteuk and Yesung were quiet and respectful while the doctor was speaking.  “There is a lot I need to discuss with the person who will be caring for her when she is discharged, is there any way you could have her parents come in?”
          “Sir?”  Leeteuk questioned, stunned.
          "Is there something wrong?”
          “Well her parents aren’t in the country sir.”
          “Haven’t you contacted them?”
          “We have reason to believe that April does not want her parents involved.”
          “Well April will need to be released directly into the care of a suitable adult, unless you’re prepared to take on that responsibility I strongly suggest you make an effort to contact her family or friends.”    
          “We’ll do what we can sir, thank you.”
 
          Everyone was eager to hear the news of the meeting.  Even Heechul stuck his head out and was milling about in the corner of the kitchen.  Everyone was present except for Sungmin who was with April and of course Kyuhyun who was hiding in his room.  Leeteuk recounted the very one sided conversation that took place.  “…So we at least need to find her friends and where she lives.”
          “How are we going to do that?” Henry asked.  “Her ID doesn’t tell us anything about her life here and her phone is destroyed.”
          Everyone turned to look at Heechul who was lurking behind them.  “Do I really have to say it again?  I didn’t do anything.”
          Leeteuk cleared his throat and brought the attention back to the matter at hand.  “We should start from the beginning, Donghae, you said you saw her at the rehearsal studio?”
          “Yes, she was dancing with other trainees.”
          “Okay, so there we have it.  She’s a trainee, most likely focusing on dance.  All we need to do is go down to the main training facility and get her info.”
          Easier said than done.  Yesung and Kangin were the ones chosen to go down and obtain the info.  At first the cantankerous lady at the desk denied them access to the information.  It took quite some time as well as quite a bit of sweet talking and name dropping before the lady finally caved and let them look.
                                     
                        NAME: APRIL TORRES
                        RESIDENCE: DAEHANGNO DORMITORY
                        PAYMENT:  ₩ 0
                        STATUS: TERMINATED
 
          “What does this mean?”  Yesung asked.
          “It means,” said the lady with a sneer, “that she didn’t pay and she’s been booted.” 
          “So then where is she living?” Kangin asked.
          “Why would I know?  The money’s due date came and went and we haven’t seen her since.”
          “When was the money due?”  Yesung asked.
          “Thursday May 10th.”
          “The day after the accident,” Kangin muttered.
          “What was that?” said the lady.
          "Nothing, had she moved into the dorms at all before the money was due?”
          “Only about two days before; the room was given away to another more worthy trainee; any of her left over stuff was either thrown out or put into storage.”
          “Do you know where she was living before the dorm?”
          “Nope.”
          “Can we have access to the storage locker?”
          “Nope.”
          “Of course.  Who do I have to speak with to get access?”
          “April Torres.”
          “Thank you, you’ve been a huge help.” Yesung said sarcastically before leaving.
 
          Kangin gave the bad news that they were unsuccessful.  Everyone was disappointed. 
          “Now what?” Henry asked.  Everyone looked at the leader for the answer.
          “Now we’re going to get into the storage locker.”  All but the oldest members faces showed disbelief, Heechul, Yesung and Kangin knew what Leeteuk was thinking.  “We also need to go to that dorm, we may be able to ask around and find out who her friends are.”
          “How are we going to get into the locker?  We don’t even know where or which one it is.” Ryeowook said.
          Heechul sighed from behind everyone; he already knew where this was going.  “He wants me to do it.  The company keeps everything logged on computer.”  He looked at Leeteuk, “is that right?”
          “Actually yes.  You have the best computer skills of everyone present so if you wouldn’t mind…”
          Heechul took a deep breath and let out another annoyed sigh.   “Fine.”
          “Thanks.”  Leeteuk said happily.  “As for going into the dorm we’re not going to be able to just walk right in.  Firstly it’s a girl’s dorm and secondly we’re easily recognizable.”
          “We could dress Sungmin up as a girl.” Donghae suggested.
          “No he does that too often, he’ll still be recognized.  We need someone on the outside.”
          “A manager?”
          “No that won’t do.”
          “A stylist-noona?”
          “Now that could work.  Someone get our youngest looking stylist on the phone and tell her we need to have a consultation meeting right away.”
          Heechul was already in a corner on his laptop working away when the stylist arrived.  The stylist’s name was Mi-hi and before she knew it the boys had her surrounded.  She was charged with her mission: enter the girls’ dorm with a copy of April’s ID.  Find out if anyone knew her and any additional information they could give.  Specifically find out which room was hers and speak with the neighbors and new resident. 
          Mi-hi was taken aback by the request but was also too scared to say no.  She agreed to do the deed for them.  She would enter early tomorrow morning through a back door before practice schedules began and would move quickly through the building knocking on doors or stopping people in the hall until she got information.  When she got all she could she would quietly exit through the back door.
          Meanwhile Heechul had fairly easily hacked into the company database.  He was able to obtain the address of the storage facility as well as the locker number and entry code, ‘this is going to be easy,’ he thought.          
          Heechul, never one to say no to making a little mischief, went along with Kangin and Eunhyuk to the storage facility.  Heechul’s role, create a diversion while Kangin and Eunhyuk obtain what they can from the locker. 
          It all happened very quickly.  Heechul dressed to the nines in his most ridiculous outfit went in a demanded to be led to his locker number 247, a locker which didn’t exist.  When the man at the front desk told him this he continued to argue irately.  “What do you mean doesn’t exist?! It’s my locker!  I exist and therefore my locker exists!!”  Heechul needed to keep the man’s attention.  “What’s more my family’s most precious ‘three handled gredunza’ has been stolen right out of the locker; you must come with me immediately to the scene of the crime.”
          “Your family’s…what?”
          “Gredunza man!  You don’t even know what a gredunza is?!  This is worse than I thought, I shall have to call the police.”
          Heechul could see on the monitors behind the desk that Kangin and Eunhyuk were almost out, he took out his phone and dramatically started to dial 119.  Of course the phone was off, but the desk clerk didn’t know that.  “Yes, I’d like to report a theft.”  The clerk was watching Heechul intently.  “My ‘three-handled family gredunza.  Yes I know it is a travesty and an incredibly important family heirloom.  Yes, okay, I will.”  Heechul pretended to hang up.  Kangin and Eunhyuk were out.  “The police told me to wait outside for them, you’re to stay here.”  With that Heechul left.  In fact he booked out the door and took off as soon as he was out of sight he cracked up.  He had always been a fan of Dr. Seuss, apparently the clerk didn’t have children.  That had been the most fun Heechul had had in a while.
 
          Mi-hi entered as planned and although trembling from fear was able to carry out her duty.  Most people said they’d never seen April before.  The new resident had never met her and the room was completely empty when she moved in.  Only one neighbor had anything to say.  “She’s American.  Before she moved in here she had been staying at a hotel, but not for more than a week or two, she had only just arrived in Korea.  It was hard to talk to her, she didn’t speak much Korean.”
          “Do you know if she had any friends living here?”
          “As far as I could understand she came by herself.  She had one American friend who had been living here when she arrived, but he soon left the country due to unforeseen circumstances.”
          “So she has no friends or family around?”
          “Nope, it seemed like she wanted time away from her family, she didn’t want to talk about them.”
          “Is there anything else you could tell me about her?”
          “There’s not much to tell, I only knew her for a few days.  The biggest thing that most people were talking about was how she’s the first non Asian trainee for the company to take in and also how old she was.”
          “How so?”
          “Well she was an amazing dancer, classically trained and a super hard worker which is what persuaded the company to take her on but she’s already 23.”
          “Is there anything else?”
          “No that’s all I know.”
          “Thank you.”
 
          In the afternoon everyone rendezvoused back at the dorm to share their information.  Mi-hi shared first and then they allowed her to leave so that she wouldn’t be caught up in the rest of their mischief.  Kangin and Eunhyuk didn’t have much to report, mostly the locker had a few small items of furniture.  They did grab a few items of clothing and a stuffed animal.  They were hoping for a diary or notebook or something to give them a clue into her past but there was no such luck.  As far as they knew, April was alone in the world with only them to care for her.