December 12

I still feel for you...

Jin Gook didn't have the chance to encounter Taecyeon as (whisper)JYP came to his talents' dressing room and urged the guys to hurry. YG's CEO had invited JYP and his boys to a birthday party. They simply cannot miss the chance to show camaraderie to the other Korean artists like Big Bang, 2ne1, and Psy.

To Jin Gook's frustration, he went out of the concert venue and ran three miles before returning to the venue. When he returned to check on Baek Hee, he was informed that the T-ara girls had already left for the day.

 

***

 

"Omo? Where's Eun Jung eonnie?" Jiyeon asked as she kept looking for Baek Hee. The girls were given a day off by management, hence they headed for the mall.

"Molla," Soyeon replied as she tried on a pair of hairclips. The other girls looked about to see where Baek Hee went, but to no avail. Except for Qri.

"I heard...i think she's seeing Jin Gook Oppa now," Qri said as she absentmindedly looked outside the mall's windowpane, observing snow as it lightly fell from the sky.

"Mwoh? Are they really going on steady now? Is Jin Gook Oppa really into Eun Jung Eonnie? I thought he still liked Hye Mi-ya," Hyomin cocked her head as she asked Qri.

Qri looked at Hyomin. "It's really not my business to know if he's still into Hye Mi or he's courting Eun Jung-ya. Let's leave that matter as it is."

Hwa Young looked at Qri intently. "Eonnie...by any chance..do you like Jin Gook Oppa?"

The other girls' attention suddenly shifted to Qri. The latter looked at Hwa Young as if she saw a ghost. Unable to answer, she walked out and headed for the restroom. Boram bit her lips as she gave a heated glare at Hwa Young.

"So...she really liked him, right?" Hyomin asked.

"Suit yourself, Park Sun Young," Soyeon shook her head at Hyomin's naive question.

 

***

 

"Baek Hee-ya, annyeong," Jin Gook smiled as he greeted his former classmate. He bade her be seated in a chair across him. Jin Gook had invited Baek Hee for a delicious Korean meal for her birthday. "Saengil chukhahae."

"Go..Gook-ah..how..how did you know..?"

"I never forget my friends' birthdays."

"Ah..." was all Baek Hee could answer. SHe felt awkward going out with Jin Gook when for the past few days, her feelings for him where in a seesaw.

"Well, today's your day. WHat do you want to eat?"

Baek Hee sighed as she looked at the the people around her. Not in the mood for anything, she waved her hand. "Whatever, Gook-ah. Just..just choose...and let's get it over with."

"Baek Hee-ya...are you still angry at me?"

Baek Hee shook her head. "My mind's a mess now, arrasseo? So you do what you have to do. I was with the girls shopping when you called. I should had my stress-buster then."

Jin Gook, feeling disturbed, reached and held Baek Hee's hand and squeezed it. The girl shuddered. This, for the longest time, had been one of the rare occasions that Jin Gook had really held her hand.

"I..I'm sorry if i made you feel that way all those times I was there for you.."

"Jinjja? When were you there for me? Just now that Taecyeon had harassed me? When you protected me from that scandal nine years ago? Only those two times, Gook-ah. But for the rest of the times, you always avoided me...because you still loved her. Because Hye Mi was the only one in your eyes even though you knew she loved Sam Dong-ah all along. Because you could never be that one I had needed when I needed you..."

Tears started to fall from Baek Hee's eyes. A bitter taste was felt from her tongue. She didn't feel like celebrating her birthday at all.

"Baek Hee-ya...you should have known..I never really felt anything for you at all..."

"Wae?"

"Because..friendship is all I could give you."

More tears streamed from her eyes. Biting her lips in bitter defeat, Baek Hee looked outside the window. Snow had fallen softly, and no winds dared disturb that peace.

"But it doesn't mean that I don't care for you at all. Baek Hee-ya...you are all that I have after we separated ways. I hope this will not be the end for us. I still value our friendship, and I still care about you. Jebal, don't be angry anymore...ara?"

Baek He sighed as she wiped the tears from her eyes. 

"If..if you say so..."

 

***

 

Qri strolled around the park near the mall, unmindful of the snow that fell. It was a very pretty day for a snowy day, and many people still went out in the open despite the weather.

Qri sighed. She couldn't  forget Hwa Young's question. And now that she's been found out, she can't dare face the girls, not right now anyway.

She seated herself on a bench under the tree, watching people pass by. She recongized Song Joong Ki and Yoo Ah In teasing each other, with Joong Ki putting his arms around Ah In and the latter poking his friend's cheek. Behind them were Park Min Young and Park Yoo Chun chatting gaily. It's been a while since the four had been together. Qri smiled. She remembered Joong Ki and Ah In being nominated for Best Couple awards. And she remembered Jiyeon's reaction to the award'

"This is crazy! Why would they let two hot guys be voted as best couple? Aish jinjja!"

She sighed. She wished guys as hot as Yoo Ah In and Song Joong Ki would take notice of her. ANd yet, at the back of her mind, she still wished that Jin Gook would take notice of her, even once.

 

***

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Qri-ya, annyeong, this is Jin Gook. Can we meet somewhere today?"

Qri felt her heart skip a beat. was dry and she blinked her eyes.

"Ne...ne...where to?"

 

***

 

"Mianhe, Qri-ya, if I should meet up with you in this very unexpected place."

JIn Gook had asked Qri to meet him at a small eatery. It was already seven in the evening, and Qri was hungry. She looked about and saw some ajeossi and his friends eating beef barbecue and downed them with soju. Some guys a few tables away from the ajeossi also ordered the same, and they were laughing boisterously.

"Had you had dinner?" Jin Gook asked.

"Ani. I'm already hungry, and actually, I was about to go to a Chinese restaurant when you called me here." Qri smiled. In reality, she really wasn't going to any buffet. She just wanted to go home and pig out.

Jin Gook felt guilty. He felt as if he didn't do well as host to his guest. Calling an ajumma, he ordered stir-fried noodles, some tteokbokki, beef barbecue and soju.

"Do you like to eat anything, Qri-ya?"

"Mmmm....I'll be having what he's having," Qri told the ajumma.

When the lady left, Qri's gaze landed on the noisy guys on the other end of the eatery's territory. She didn't know that Jin Gook was observing her.

"Qri-ya.."

"M?" Qri asked absentmindedly.

"Saengil chukhahaeyo."

Qri's eyes opened wide in surprise. She then looked at Jin Gook with her surprised expression.

"How...how...?"

Jin Gook slid a picture in front of Qri. "Remember this, Lee Ji Hyun?"

"H..how did you get this?"

"It fell from your grasp yesterday. I doubt if you've noticed."

Qri blinked her eyes. She opened to speak, but she was at a loss for words. Clenching her fists, she tried her best to fight back tears. Smiling, she looked from the picture to Jin Gook.

"Go..gomawoyo, Gook-ah..." Her voice shook as she spoke.

The ajumma returned with their orders. Qri smiled as she thanked the foodserver. Jin Gook opened the bottle of soju and poured some in Qri's glass before his own. Qri smiled as she thanked her host. The two had their small conversations over that simple meal, and Qri was happy that Jin Gook finally had asked many things about her. In Qri's heart, she knew Jin Gook would never look at her the way he looked at Hye Mi. But she felt contentment, and having that intimate moment together on her birthday was something she hadn't asked for, not even in her wildest dreams.

 

***

Looking at the people dear to her, together in one table, made Baek Hee's heart tight. AS much as she tried pushing Jin Gook away, she still cannot deny the fact that she till loved him. And seeing Qri with Jin Gook, Baek Hee couldn't decide if she'll get angry, jealous, or just let things be for tonight.

"Gook-ah...was our date as happy as yours now with Qri Eonni? I wish..if i could turn back time...i shouldn't have scorned you. I still love you...I still do..."