I can't have what I want

I still feel for you...

Jin Gook stood up and stretched. He was so full he could feel that the button of his pants would pop out. He watched as Qri demurely stood up and pressed the folds of her skirt.

"Qri-ya, say, what do you want to do tonight?"

"Eh?"

"Come on, it's your birthday. What do you want to do?"

Jin Gook knew he'd regret it if the girl asked him to take her to the mall to shop. That meant endless stocks and piles of clothes, clothes and more clothes. Not to mention shoes, bags, and make-ups. Jin Gook had asked three of his friends during their birthdays what they wanted to do. And he so got broke after treating them.

Qri looked at Jin Gook and sighed. Then she looked up the sky and blinked her eyes.

"What I really want to do...is to take a walk in the park with you..."

Jin Gook was dumbfounded. That was a very simple request, yet he felt Qri had underlying motives. That was even more dangerous than paying for cosmetics.

"Qri-ya..."

Qri faced Jin Gook again, smiling. "Mianhe, I might just be too at ease asking you that question. Mianhe, Oppa..."

"Ani. You don't have to be sorry. Gaja."

 

***

 

Qri led the way as Jin Gook trailed from behind. They walked casually and slowly along the curb of the driveway, watching cautiously too as bicyclists passed them by. The pair walked on as Qri stopped to where she sat earlier in the day. She sat down, pressed her skirt again and laid her hands on her lap. Jin Gook took the gist too and sat beside Qri.

"Eun Jung-ah likes you," Qri said to break the silence.

"I know. It's since I don't know when," Jin Gook answered.

"Do you still like Hye Mi-ya?"

"I still do. I had always wished she was my girlfriend. But I lost to Sam Dong-ah. I had regrets though. Hye Mi-ya and I knew each other when we were still kids."

Qri continued to gaze at the stars on the sky. Tears clouded her vision, and they fell to her cheeks as Qri kept her silence.

"I can't blame Baek Hee-ya for liking me. It's just like me pining for Hye Mi no matter how far she is right now. I feel sorry for Baek Hee because I'm reminded of myself."

"Then...Oppa...what would be the chance of you...and Eun Jung-ah?"

Jin Gook looked at Qri. It was partly lit, and he couldn't see the glisten in her cheeks. Nevertheless, he heard a different tone in her voice, like she was crying.

"Lee Ji Hyun...neo...you want me to be with Baek Hee?"

Qri wiped a tear from her eye. "I wanted you to be mine, Oppa. But I'm not a selfish person, and you are not a thing I can own."

"What...what do you mean by that?"

"I had always wished that you'd ask me out. And to my surprise, you did ask me out tonight. But I wanted more, Oppa. I wanted to be your yeoja. But I can't waiver your thoughts. I am just content to have you sit here beside me, knowing you will never be mine..."

A wave of guilt and resignation hovered over Qri so that she wept bitterly, her shoulders shaking. She cried like a child whose toy was taken away from him. Jin Gook swallowed hard. He didn't know he had that effect on women. And he wished he didn't have that curse which make women fall for him, nor cry over him.

"And...and...I know..that we'll always be seeing...each other....because we ....are artists...and yet...and yet..."

Jin Gook took Qri and embraced her. He let her rest on his chest.

"Uljima, Qri-ya...uljima..."

"...and yet, the bitter thing is...we are so near,...yet so far...."

The lady continued sobbing to her heart's content. Jin Gook couldn't make her stop, nor was he willing to. He wanted Qri to cry to ease the pain clutching so hard in her chest.

 

***

 

"Gwaenchanha?"

"Ne...gomawo, Oppa..."

Jin Gook held Qri again and embraced her.

"I know I can't have what I want. I can't have you, Oppa, and I know you will not look at me the way I looked at you. It's unrequieted, but I guess you aren't for me. I don't want to hurt you nor Eun Jung-ah..that's why I'm asking you not to burden yourself anymore thinking about what I thought about you. What I think is irrelevant. I give up, Oppa...I liked you, but you're not mine..."

Jin Gook smiled. He wished Baek Hee was as content as Qri with regards to him. He kept caressing Qri's hair as he listened to who he thought was Joong Ki and Ah In singing and dancing to T-ara's "Cry Cry."

"Is this all you want for your birthday, Lee Ji Hyun? To tell me about your unrequieted love and burst into tears? Really now, it's your birthday. How can I make it up to you without you crying? Would a kiss change your mind?"

Jin Gook was suddenly petrified hearing himself say that suggestion. Even Qri was shocked, and the redness crept her cheeks she was suddenly shivering.

"Neo...neo Oppa...you must be joking...right?"

"I...I...well..."

Qri released herself from Jin Gook's embrace. "Can I be selfish, just this once? Can you kiss me, Oppa? After this, I'll forget that this has even happened."

Jin Gook held Qri's arms gently but firmly. He then brushed a hair away from her face as he traced the outline of Qri's face. Slowly, he lowered his head to her face, feeling the warm breath coming from . Brushing his lips on hers, Jin Gook slowly closed his eyes as he gave Qri the kiss he promised. Qri closed her eyes, her mind frozen. Time seemed to stop for them as Jin Gook deepened the kiss. He was surprised he didn't stop kissing Qri. In his mind, nothing came about: Hye Mi and Baek Hee were so far away from his thoughts. There was no past and future that time, only the present was important to him. It felt different kissing someone he had no feelings for, yet kissing Qri was...different. Jin Gook felt wierd, yet he liked it at the same time.

Releasing themselves from the kiss, Qri blinked as she looked at Jin Gook, who was also flustered.

"Mi..mianhe...Qri-ya...I'm sorry for ever bringing up that..suggestion.."

"Ani...I should be the one to ask for forgiveness, Oppa. I let my selfishness get in the way- "

"But it's your birthday..."

"Gomawo for the thought...but all I really wanted today was you sitting beside me...that kiss...was just a surprise I didn't expect you to suggest," Qri said as she bowed her head.

Jin Gook held Qri's hands and squeezed them. "I'm sorry for even bringing that up. I don't know how to react to your unselfish nature, Qri-ya...I'm really sorry I took advantage of your goodness..."

Qri sighed as she smiled. "It's getting late...I want to go home now."

"I'll take you home. How about I carry you on my back?" Jin Gook suggested.

"Gomawo. I just prefer to walk. I had already fulfilled my birthday wish. That was all I wished for. I am contented. Thank you."