So Near, Yet So Far

I still feel for you...

Jin Gook approached Kang Kyung Jin the next morning.

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Seonsaengnim. I would just like to make a request, if you could make me a part time English teacher."

Kyung Jin-ssaem looked up to her former student. "Geurae? But let me ask you. Are you and Yoon-ssaem into some misunderstanding?"

"Ah..ne..."

"How so?"

"Ssaem, Iet's say it's personal. I can't disclose it with you."

"Arrasseo. Please call Yang-ssaem and tell him to come here. I'll make arrangements of your schedules."

***

And indeed it was that Jin Gook became Yang-ssaem's part-time English teacher-partner. The female students kept dreaming and drooling everytime they listen to Jin Gook's perfect English accent.

"He sounds so y!" a student gushed.

"I could literally fall for him! Oh, why is he only a part-timer? WHy couldn't he just replace our Monkey teacher?" another student commented.

When Yang Jin Man heard about this, he called the student. "Yah, haksaeng! Who are you calling Monkey Teacher?"

"Ah, ssaem! We would not call you that unless you stop eating bananas!" the student answered.

"Whoa, Ssaem, I didn't know you had a penchant for bananas!" Jin Gook said to Yang Jin Man. The latter gave a death glare to his co-teacher, then looked at the student again.

"Geureum...haksaeng...buy me a buch of bananas, right now!" Yang-ssaem ordered the student.

"J..jeongmal??? Ya,ssaem! It really suits you! I gotta go! Annyeong!' ANd the student went out of the school to buy Yang Jin Man some bananas.

***

Jin Gook decided to look again in the dance room. He wanted to talk to Baek Hee and apologize to her. It must have been his lucky day. He saw her dancing alone. The class had just been dismissed and Baek Hee was practicing new dance moves. CCM's CEO had just called her that morning, asking her if she could choreograph a new dance steps for T-ara's TTL Listen 2. Jin Gook listened to the song. He reckoned dance steps for guys must be included because T-ara had collaborated twice with Supernova for this project.

"Can I join you?" Jin Gook knocked at the door. He compelled himself to gain courage and face Baek Hee instead of looking guilty all the time.

BAek Hee just looked at him and continued to do her dance. She didn't mind Jin Gook seated on the bench. She herself was so immersed in getting her dance steps right that she had to replay some parts she felt didn't fit right to the dance steps she made. She looked at herself in the mirror to see if her dance steps didn't look awkward, considering that she even managed to make Supernova's dance steps too.

Ten minutes had passed, and Baek Hee's legs began to ache. She went over to were her water jug and her bag was. She sat on the bench, opened her bag and got a piece of banana. Jin Gook looked at the fruit and then at Baek Hee.

"Trying to get the cramps out?" he asked to start a conversation.

But Baek Hee didn't answer. She continued eating when her phone rang.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Annyeong hasaeyo, this is Hyomin of T-ara."

"Annyeong hasaeyo, Ms Hyomin."

"Well, is it okay if you could come this afternoon and teach us the new dance steps? Mr President just asked me to call you. He had been meaning to, yet he suddenly got busy."

"Ah, ne. I could come over to CCM after my class. Would 5PM be fine?"

"Ne. We will be waiting for you. Annyeong."

And Hyomin hang up the call.

Jin Gook was suddenly curious. "So, you were making dance steps for T-ara's MV?"

"Don't act like we're close, because we're not," BAek Hee said as she placed the banana skin in a plastic bag and placed it in her bag.

"Jebal. Baek Hee-ya, don't be like this."

"Mwoh? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean..please...please talk to me. We're friends, right?"

"Chingu?" Baek Hee asked as she cocked her head and smiled sarcastically. "Right, friends tell their friends FRANKLY how they thought about each other. Is that what you're meaning to tell me?"

"Baek Hee-ya."

"Hyun Shi Hyuk, I didn't expect you to give me that frank answer. And frankly speaking, I should thank you for letting me realize just how foolish I was to fall for you."

Jin Gook blinked his eyes. "You..you did fall for me, then?"

"Need I say more? I was too obvious, wasn't I? And I bet you didn't like girls who were too obvious about their feelings. I bet Hye Mi never made it obvious to you, but I felt she liked you too."

"You..you made it obvious, Baek Hee. But mian, I didn't feel the same way you did."

"I know. I heard it over lunch time yesterday. It's all right. I'll stop pining for you then. Just act like we never knew each other. And don't ever talk to me again, if that's the only way I could forget about you. Heck, you could even make out with your Japanese girlfriend whenever you want to."

"Kojima Haruna-san...don't tell me you're jealous of her too."

Baek Hee coldly looked at Jin Gook as she opened her bottled water and drank its contents. She shoved the bottle inside her bag, stood up and walked out the door.

Jin Gook sighed. He didn't know what to do with Baek Hee. He knew he couldn't force himself to fall for her when he never even have feelings for her. Yet, he felt sad every time he saw her. His last string of hope being with his former team member and friend had been broken to pieces. He opened his wallet and looked at his picture with Dream High group (him, Baek Hee, Hye Mi, Sam Dong, Pil Suk and Jason). He was shocked to see himself standing behind Baek Hee, his arms around her waist as the group were playing around and having fun. His head was on Baek Hee's shoulders, and he saw Baek Hee's smile in front of the camera. Hye Mi was holding Sam Dong's hand, and Sam Dong was embracing Hye Mi. Jason placed his arm around Pil Suk as she stood still, holding her pink guitar.

"I didn't realize I was doing this. How could I have been so careless?" Jin Gook thought to himself.

At the back of his mind, he suddenly had an idea. Lodging in the hotel for two months was way beyond his budget. He decided to board somewhere else where it is cheap. That's when he decided to try living in Baek Hee's house.